C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation sucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 03:38 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
But I love to pull off on the shoulder of a busy highway and pull out my 50 page, 3 volume NAV tutorial and spend the next 30 minutes to an hour trying to find the part that applies to what I'm trying to do at that moment in my life.

Or I can use my Garmin with it's FREE lifetime map updates, and super intuitive operation, and get on with my life.
And this is why you can't enter anything into the nav while driving because its way to dangerous to do it and GM wants to avoid law suits. You need a degree just to figure this thing out. That shouldn't be the case. I understand some of the features will be more complex then others but entering an address or POI should be 1,2,3 GO like a Garmin or tom tom etc..
Old 04-18-2012, 04:21 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RJRSW

Take the time to learn it and you will grow to really like and appreciate it.

But I love to pull off on the shoulder of a busy highway and pull out my 50 page, 3 volume NAV tutorial and spend the next 30 minutes to an hour trying to find the part that applies to what I'm trying to do at that moment in my life.

Or I can use my Garmin with it's FREE lifetime map updates, and super intuitive operation, and get on with my life.
My point exactly.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:34 PM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

The only good part of it is when you turn it off and get the C6 emblem displayed!!

I'm not a big fan of it either....... Wish it had the Alpine system that my 2011 Dodge Ram had in it!! Garmin Nav, USB, built in Hard Drive and really good sound!!!

Mark
Old 04-18-2012, 04:35 PM
01VETTECOP
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

GARMIN 1450

5 inch screen

Get U One
Old 04-18-2012, 04:35 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,570 Likes on 1,615 Posts

I have three different Navigation systems: The Denso in the Corvette, the Alpine in the CTS and a Garmin 1490LMT in my truck. They all work basically the same and all work better when set up properly.

Here is a wonderful tutorial on the nav system from Paul Pearson (Talon90) Using the C6 Navigation system - Parts 1 through 5
Old 04-18-2012, 04:37 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by studiovette
And this is why you can't enter anything into the nav while driving because its way to dangerous to do it and GM wants to avoid law suits. You need a degree just to figure this thing out. That shouldn't be the case. I understand some of the features will be more complex then others but entering an address or POI should be 1,2,3 GO like a Garmin or tom tom etc..
You're cruising down the Interstate at 70 MPH and you want to enter something in the NAV, can you have the person riding shotgun do this without stopping the car on the shoulder to use the factory NAV?

You're getting ready to do a trip and you want to program the NAV. Can you do this in your office or do you have to do it in your garage? I can program my Garmin in my office/home etc in front of the computer where I have Bing maps on to plan my trip. Then I carry it to my car, and stick it on the holder in my cup holder. If I'm on a trip and I want to change my route for the next day, I can do it in my motel room, not out in the car. And I don't have to lug around a 50 page, 5 part tutorial with me in order to work the Garmin.

BTW, I have the $1750 factory NAV and a Garmin, so I know the features and the disadvantages of both. The Garmin wins out 99% of the time.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:37 PM
AV8ForFun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have found that the GM nav is far more sophisticated than any of the many Garmin's I have owned and once I learned how to use all of it's capabilities I was very pleased and really like the integration into the HUD of the nav info. That is something because there is no HUD integration available with any of the aftermarket units. That is one feature after using it for a year I just will not give up.

I had the Kenwood touchscreen with the Garmin interface in the convert I sold last summer and it worked fine but it was not nearly as integrated or sophisticated as the GM unit is.

Maybe for some you you guys it is reliable and accurate, but every time I use it on a trial basis to take me somewhere I know already, it routes me through strange indirect routes. Sure, it gets me there, but when I am driving on an interstate, and it tells me to exit 5 or 6 exits too early and drive through the side streets to get there, I can't trust it to take me somewhere I don't already know.

When I gives me a route through the middle of DFW during rush hour and I take an alternate route and it never adjusts its route...only continues to attempt to redirect me 30 miles out of the way of my current route...I can't believe that it is accurate and reliable.

Maybe the sophistication is there, but it definitely isn't accurate, and therefore I can't rely on it.

None of that takes into account the whole issue of requiring me to stop to do anything. Not practical, when I am trying to deal with the issues that I spoke of earlier.

I really wish I hadn't bothered to spend the money on it.

Last edited by AV8ForFun; 04-18-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:39 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

This system was designed in 2002/03. My now obsolete lap top was made in 2006. The only nav. used in my 07 now is Google Maps.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:39 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AV8ForFun
Maybe for some you you guys it is reliable and accurate, but every time I use it on a trial basis to take me somewhere I know already, it routes me through strange indirect routes. Sure, it gets me there, but when I am driving on an interstate, and it tells me to exit 5 or 6 exits too early and drive through the side streets to get there, I can't trust it to take me somewhere I don't already know.

When I gives me a route through the middle of DFW during rush hour and I take an alternate route and it never adjusts its route...only continues to attempt to redirect me 30 miles out of the way of my current route...I can't believe that it is accurate and reliable.

Maybe the sophistication is there, but it definitely isn't accurate, and therefore I can't rely on it.

I really wish I hadn't bothered to spend the money on it.
There are reasons for taking the routes that it does. They are not arbitrary. Your set-up likely has a lot to do with it. Take the tutorial and see if that helps.....
Old 04-18-2012, 04:43 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

You're cruising down the Interstate at 70 MPH and you want to enter something in the NAV, can you have the person riding shotgun do this without stopping the car on the shoulder to use the factory NAV?

You're getting ready to do a trip and you want to program the NAV. Can you do this in your office or do you have to do it in your garage? I can program my Garmin in my office/home etc in front of the computer where I have Bing maps on to plan my trip. Then I carry it to my car, and stick it on the holder in my cup holder. If I'm on a trip and I want to change my route for the next day, I can do it in my motel room, not out in the car. And I don't have to lug around a 50 page, 5 part tutorial with me in order to work the Garmin.

BTW, I have the $1750 factory NAV and a Garmin, so I know the features and the disadvantages of both. The Garmin wins out 99% of the time.
I have both as well and you will understand if I disagree. You can thank the lawyers and goodie two shoes for the programming on the fly issue - but there is a fix for that.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:50 PM
RO55
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do this with factory one by sending your destnation to your car via map quest
Old 04-18-2012, 04:52 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

The auto manufacturers have a really hard time keeping up with the speed of consumer electronics change. The tech they build-in is already dated when introduced in a new car and feels very old just 2-3 years later. If GM keeps a car in production for 10 years the electronic options are absolutely Jurassic by the end of the model's run. The ability to integrate smart phone Apps into the on-board dashboard screen for GPS (and more things) seems the only real solution.

To the specific GPS issue, I have the TomTom App on my iPhone and highly recommended it. The TomTom App comes with maps so you don't need to download them as you drive through areas with spotty 3G coverage. (Download the App while you are on WiFi, its big.) It's really annoying to have a smart phone or handheld GPS bouncing around in the cup holder or seat next to you so I also use the TomTom windshield mount. The windshield mount also boosts the iPhone GPS signal and has built-in Bluetooth and speaker phone as an added plus.

Cheers,
JB
Old 04-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Travelor
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I have read all the manuals more than once.

But it does not take a degree in computer science to know something is screwed when you ask it to mark your home and the POS tells you that you home is 39 houses away when there is no such address.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:56 PM
fnsblum
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FullyVetted
Y

3. Never push the "voice activation" button because the b**** won't shut up until you shoot her in the head.

Ain't that the truth. I got so mad at her one day I wanted to put a .45 hole in the Nav. We have some very different addresses here in Utah where most of the streets run north, south, east and west. Here is a test for some of you guys that think problems are mostly operator error. Try inputting the address 835 South 150 West in Tremonton, Utah. If you figure it out, with out a problem, please PM me. I would be most grateful for the help. Until then I will use my online Road Atlas. Later! Frank
Old 04-18-2012, 04:58 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
I have both as well and you will understand if I disagree. You can thank the lawyers and goodie two shoes for the programming on the fly issue - but there is a fix for that.
And here it is:

http://www.kawal.net/navigation.htm

I had to do something similar to the Kenwood unit that had the Garnin interface in my last vette by running the emergency brake wire from the units harness to ground in order to allow the passenger to program destinations while rolling down the freeway.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:01 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Glad we did not get GM Nav and our Kenwood unit works awesome
Old 04-18-2012, 05:02 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Travelor
I have read all the manuals more than once.

But it does not take a degree in computer science to know something is screwed when you ask it to mark your home and the POS tells you that you home is 39 houses away when there is no such address.
That is not the unit that is the map data that came from Navteq who also supplies that same map database to Garmin. I have found that the latest GM map disc release is the same as the Garmin 2012.10 NA maps in my Garmin.

Get notified of new replies

To Navigation sucks!!!

Old 04-18-2012, 05:13 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Plus the Navigation can't find one single racetrack.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:20 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have found that the GM nav is far more sophisticated than any of the many Garmin's I have owned and once I learned how to use all of it's capabilities I was very pleased and really like the integration into the HUD of the nav info. That is something because there is no HUD integration available with any of the aftermarket units. That is one feature after using it for a year I just will not give up.

I had the Kenwood touchscreen with the Garmin interface in the convert I sold last summer and it worked fine but it was not nearly as integrated or sophisticated as the GM unit is.

when the new kenwood harness comes out in june supposedly it will integrate everything the way the factory nav does now. of course you will need the new kenwood h/u to go with it.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:24 PM
petes ZO6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No disrepect at all, but most people can retain what they read. Although complicated the stock Nav is certainly not rocket science. Again I understand how easy the Garmin units are to use. And like I stated earlier I disliked the stock Nav until I took some time to read the manual and play around with it.

For those of you on the fence. Take 30-45 minutes in the driveway and the manual. You may just be surprised at what the unit is capable of once you learn how to use it. BTW..the split screen is pretty cool.

You can also pull up previous destinations while driving. Yes, you do have to stop to place in a new destination and we all know why. That is the case with most if not all factory stock navs.

Quick Reply: Navigation sucks!!!