C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation sucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:01 AM
Travelor
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Navigation sucks!!!

I know this has been beat pretty much to death, but the navigation program in my new 2012 GS just plain sucks!!!!

I mean really sucks - I have used it on three occasions to go from Little Rock, AR to Petite Jean State Park (in Arkansas) and have gotten three totally different and bogus routes. Thank goodness I know how to get there because I am not sure the NAV system would have gotten me there on any of the three trips.

Has anyone thought of or found a replacement DVD disc with better navigation programing?

Is there any aftermarket nav system that will plug in and still allow use of the radio controls on the steering wheel and nav display to the HUD?

Last edited by Travelor; 04-18-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 160 Posts

I would get a Garmin for $100 for trips
Old 04-18-2012, 10:21 AM
studiovette
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I get my 2012 GS next week and dreading the nav system. I had swapped to a Kenwood in my 07 coupe but sold it a few weeks ago. It had the garmin technology in it and it was awesome. Worked flawlessly all the time and even had the Corvette start up screen and worked with my steering wheel controls. I'm not sure I want to buy another unit right now. I might jsut use my cell phones navi which is pretty darn good.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:57 AM
petes ZO6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read the manual. Yes the stock nav unit is not easy to learn. But once you take time to read the manual you will find the unit is quite capable.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If you have an iphone I recommend the MotionX-GPS Drive app. I believe it's higher rated than the Garmin NAV app and I think I paid $0.99 (cents) for the basic app and $10 for one-year live voice guidance. I've gotten more accurate results using MotionX than friends using their expensive, dedicated NAV systems. You can run the app through your car's NAV display screen if you want. IMO this NAV app does it and there are no expensive annual updates.

I've heard good things about the (free) Google NAV app for android phones. I rode in a friend's Caddy and I think he used OnStar NAV. I don't much like Apple or Google (i.e., the Borg) but like them or not they do certain things well.

There are options...good luck!
Old 04-18-2012, 11:25 AM
ROD BROWN
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Factory sucks

My 09 Vette has the factory Nav system and it really leaves much to be desired.My girl friend was at the Mercedes dealership and I used the nav to route me to the dealership.I knew where the dealership is located,but this was an experiment.Well it took me the opposite way from the location. I ignored the directions and proceeded there.The nav picked up on the route I was using and directed me to a park about a mile from my destination.I proceeded to the dealership and the Nav system never picked up on the address.The factory NAV system really leaves much to be desired.Rod
Old 04-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ROD BROWN
My 09 Vette has the factory Nav system and it really leaves much to be desired.My girl friend was at the Mercedes dealership and I used the nav to route me to the dealership.I knew where the dealership is located,but this was an experiment.Well it took me the opposite way from the location. I ignored the directions and proceeded there.The nav picked up on the route I was using and directed me to a park about a mile from my destination.I proceeded to the dealership and the Nav system never picked up on the address.The factory NAV system really leaves much to be desired.Rod
Maybe you need an updated DVD? When was this MB stealership started there?
Old 04-18-2012, 11:37 AM
petes ZO6
Racer

Originally Posted by Never-Enough
Maybe you need an updated DVD? When was this MB stealership started there?

That is certainly a drawback to the DVD based systems.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:39 AM
08LS3Vette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first Vette was an 08 1LT so no nav for me. I always wanted NAV, mostly for the touch screen features. This go 'round I have a 3LT with NAV and right when I first got it I was like, "This is what I've been wanting?? What a POS!!!".... lol, oh well, I'll upgrade it to something else down the road. I guess I'll just have to look stupid and have a window mounted GPS in addition to the in-dash GPS if I truely need NAV.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:51 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by petes ZO6
Read the manual. Yes the stock nav unit is not easy to learn. But once you take time to read the manual you will find the unit is quite capable.
Right, and every time you decide to use the NAV for anything other than basic directions, be prepared to pull over and pull out that manual, because that's what it takes.

I bought a Garmin that I take on long trips in the Vette that I have never had to refer to the manual to access all its features which are far and above the Vette NAV.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:52 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Lots of threads like this here. If/when details are provided it almost always turns out to be user error. I find the factory nav to be far more capable than my Garmin. Easy to learn? No way! Capable, accurate, and reliable? Absolutely.

OP, no, there are no aftermarket navs that will interface with the HUD. This nav has been around since 2004 and a vendor has promised to some day have an aftermarket that will work but so far...
Old 04-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Ramblin On
Instructor

I am ever so glad I got the 2011 2LT coupe -- Nav started at 3LT level. In talking with owners of a variety of cars with OEM nav systems, they all seem to be awful. In one case the owner was in the Chicago burbs but the GPS thought he was downtown, in the middle of the Chicago River.

Much happier with my Garmin -- It is both accurate and portable among the various household cars.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:53 AM
gsxrguy84
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah the nav sucks in my car as well. My house isn't even recognized on it so its pretty much worthless.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:29 PM
petes ZO6
Racer

Originally Posted by j_digi454
Right, and every time you decide to use the NAV for anything other than basic directions, be prepared to pull over and pull out that manual, because that's what it takes.

I bought a Garmin that I take on long trips in the Vette that I have never had to refer to the manual to access all its features which are far and above the Vette NAV.
Never had that problem. Read the manual quite thoroughly. I will admit the Nav is not easy to learn. But as described by Fort morgan Al the unit is indeed capable, accurate, and reliable.

I think the Corvette team figured most Corvette owners would be able to operate the unit. I'm sure most do. The problem is almost everyone was spoiled by how easy to use the Garmin is for example. I will admit I disliked the unit until I read the manual, and learned how to use the split screen, day-night mode and voice activation.

I'm not saying the stock Nav is a great unit in 2012. But I will say the unit is once again capable, accurate, and reliable if used by someone that knows how to use it. And if the discs are up to date.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Like dem Vettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The nav unit in our 2003 Acura is easier to use and it is much more intuitive. I use a Garmin with lifetime maps in my 06 Corvette.

I still do not understand why car nav units need to be updated with DVDs. Why can't they be updated via a USB port using a laptop in a manner similar to the update procedure for portable nav units.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:51 PM
FullyVetted
Pro

You may be at a disadvantage if you have previously used other Nav systems. Entering the address you want to find won't get you there. I carrried a Magellan around for 8 months until I figured this out (aka - read the manual). Remember to:

1. Push the "bullseye" button after you enter the addrs
2. Push the "Route confirmed" button after that.

3. Never push the "voice activation" button because the b**** won't shut up until you shoot her in the head.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:27 PM
JScottH3
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 69 Posts

I use my TomTom when I need a good NAV. My factory NAV got lost the first time I went to Zip Corvettes in Mechanicsville, VA. As we passed the turn for FastLane Rd, it got lost, and sent me in endless circles. As we passed FastLane Rd the 3nd time, my wife spotted the road sign, and we finally found our destination. That was the last time I depended on my factory NAV.

Get notified of new replies

To Navigation sucks!!!

Old 04-18-2012, 02:36 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Rip that thing out and get a pioneer unit or something like that. I use the pioneer x920bt and couldn't be happier. Gets me where I gotta go without issue. Not to mention it has a ton of cool features. It's kind of outdated now I believe pioneer is already using a 140 series. Go aftermarket then sell your Nav. You will break just about even on cost. Dennis at d d mods n sen you a unit that will be a direct plug and Play. However I don't think your Nav will appear on the HUD.

Last edited by brooklync5; 04-18-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:37 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I have found that the GM nav is far more sophisticated than any of the many Garmin's I have owned and once I learned how to use all of it's capabilities I was very pleased and really like the integration into the HUD of the nav info. That is something because there is no HUD integration available with any of the aftermarket units. That is one feature after using it for a year I just will not give up.

I had the Kenwood touchscreen with the Garmin interface in the convert I sold last summer and it worked fine but it was not nearly as integrated or sophisticated as the GM unit is.

Take the time to learn it and you will grow to really like and appreciate it.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:19 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by j_digi454

But I love to pull off on the shoulder of a busy highway and pull out my 50 page, 3 volume NAV tutorial and spend the next 30 minutes to an hour trying to find the part that applies to what I'm trying to do at that moment in my life.

Or I can use my Garmin with it's FREE lifetime map updates, and super intuitive operation, and get on with my life.

Quick Reply: Navigation sucks!!!