C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation sucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 05:25 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
when the new kenwood harness comes out in june supposedly it will integrate everything the way the factory nav does now. of course you will need the new kenwood h/u to go with it.
Not a problem, it'd be worth it.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:33 PM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

The NAV in my '07 was garbage...the NAV in my present '08 is garbage...that is, compared to the state of the art units you get in a Lexus or Infiniti. I'm really disappointed to hear that GM is still installing garbage in the new vettes
Old 04-18-2012, 06:00 PM
ip-do-tan
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
If you have an iphone I recommend the MotionX-GPS Drive app. I believe it's higher rated than the Garmin NAV app and I think I paid $0.99 (cents) for the basic app and $10 for one-year live voice guidance. I've gotten more accurate results using MotionX than friends using their expensive, dedicated NAV systems. You can run the app through your car's NAV display screen if you want. IMO this NAV app does it and there are no expensive annual updates.

I've heard good things about the (free) Google NAV app for android phones. I rode in a friend's Caddy and I think he used OnStar NAV. I don't much like Apple or Google (i.e., the Borg) but like them or not they do certain things well.

There are options...good luck!
Can you explain how you connect the iPhone to the NAV to utilize MontionX-GPS? Picking up my new VY Coupe on Monday and have a 400 mile drive home

Thanks.....
Old 04-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Not going to add anything useful other than to further my post some might say.

I really do not understand the preference for navigation.

Map/books have always worked for me and I get a better over all view of the area with a glance.

I really think it is a marketing gimmick that has made most think it is needed luxury product.

Ya I am navigator hater or a least a non believer.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:10 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by RO55
You can do this with factory one by sending your destnation to your car via map quest
You mean I can go to MapQuest on my PC in my home/office/motel room, etc, type in the address I want to go to, and hit "enter' and it will magically down load to the NAV in my Z06. I wasn't aware I could send any remote signals to my Z06, other then using the buttons on the FOB.

Tell me how "In 10 words or less" or I'll already have it done with my Garmin.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 866 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Travelor
I know this has been beat pretty much to death, but the navigation program in my new 2012 GS just plain sucks!!!!

I mean really sucks - I have used it on three occasions to go from Little Rock, AR to Petite Jean State Park (in Arkansas) and have gotten three totally different and bogus routes. Thank goodness I know how to get there because I am not sure the NAV system would have gotten me there on any of the three trips. [/U]
Travelor, State Parks are an issue for my GPS also. Most cover many square miles and have no central location. I cursed mine out the first time I tried to get to a state park in rural PA. It took me to a farm house in the middle of nowhere, (which was actually within bounds of the park). Happened again when I tied to get to a different state park and it essentially led me to a seasonal snowmobile path..... Major PITA, but I think it's the location rather than the GPS.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:15 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by petes ZO6
Read the manual. Yes the stock nav unit is not easy to learn. But once you take time to read the manual you will find the unit is quite capable.

In fact, it works GREAT if you know how to use it
Old 04-18-2012, 07:00 PM
ChevyCobb
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxrguy84
yeah the nav sucks in my car as well. My house isn't even recognized on it so its pretty much worthless.
You don't know where your house is???
Old 04-18-2012, 07:11 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by RJRSW
That is not the unit that is the map data that came from Navteq who also supplies that same map database to Garmin. I have found that the latest GM map disc release is the same as the Garmin 2012.10 NA maps in my Garmin.
It is also the same as the 2012.40 that I downloaded this past weekend. There are only two major suppliers of Navigation Data that all the hardware people use: Tele Atlas and Navteq. They are the ones responsible for database errors and both have methods in place for the end users to send updated/accurate information. By the way - my house is 639 feet north of the map location in the Vette and the truck (Garmin) which use NavTeq and the CTS which uses Tele Atlas.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:20 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JoesC5
You mean I can go to MapQuest on my PC in my home/office/motel room, etc, type in the address I want to go to, and hit "enter' and it will magically down load to the NAV in my Z06. I wasn't aware I could send any remote signals to my Z06, other then using the buttons on the FOB.

Tell me how "In 10 words or less" or I'll already have it done with my Garmin.
It actually downloads it to the turn by turn in OnStar not the Nav Radio. You can send it to Sync as well and Garmin. When you send it to Garmin, it does not send the route you planned, just the way points.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:31 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
It actually downloads it to the turn by turn in OnStar not the Nav Radio. You can send it to Sync as well and Garmin. When you send it to Garmin, it does not send the route you planned, just the way points.
Okay, now I understand. In addition to the $1750 I paid for the Factory NAV, I also have to pay OnStar $300 a year for the Turn-by-Turn plus $200 a year for a new NAV disc....or I can just use my $85 Garmin 40LM that has FREE map updates for life, that I also can use in any of my other three cars that don't have OnStar or a GM factory NAV installed.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Stevenyc777
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It really is a ridiculous system the other day I was trying to find an address on LI Ny..it kept bringing up an address in PA.! Took out my Droid came up in 30 secs...
Old 04-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Vett2017
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 1 month old GS and it took me that long to learn to use it but mine works great here in FL.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:22 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Travelor
I know this has been beat pretty much to death, but the navigation program in my new 2012 GS just plain sucks!!!!

I mean really sucks - I have used it on three occasions to go from Little Rock, AR to Petite Jean State Park (in Arkansas) and have gotten three totally different and bogus routes. Thank goodness I know how to get there because I am not sure the NAV system would have gotten me there on any of the three trips.

Has anyone thought of or found a replacement DVD disc with better navigation programing?

Is there any aftermarket nav system that will plug in and still allow use of the radio controls on the steering wheel and nav display to the HUD?
If you have any specific questions on system features or operation I'll be happy to assist you. I can provide you with a link to my tutorial for download. If you are coming to the C5/C6 Birthday Bash at the National Corvette Museum next week, I'll be putting on a seminar on getting the most from the factory navigation unit on Saturday morning and will be happy to spend some one on one time to help you work with the system and answer any questions you may have.

Paul
Old 04-18-2012, 08:25 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Okay, now I understand. In addition to the $1750 I paid for the Factory NAV, I also have to pay OnStar $300 a year for the Turn-by-Turn plus $200 a year for a new NAV disc....or I can just use my $85 Garmin 40LM that has FREE map updates for life, that I also can use in any of my other three cars that don't have OnStar or a GM factory NAV installed.
You are free to use what ever you want to. I am happy with the Nav in my Vette. YMMV
Old 04-18-2012, 08:27 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Stevenyc777
It really is a ridiculous system the other day I was trying to find an address on LI Ny..it kept bringing up an address in PA.! Took out my Droid came up in 30 secs...
Did you check to be sure you had the correct section selected? It matters.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:29 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Scruff Vette
Travelor, State Parks are an issue for my GPS also. Most cover many square miles and have no central location. I cursed mine out the first time I tried to get to a state park in rural PA. It took me to a farm house in the middle of nowhere, (which was actually within bounds of the park). Happened again when I tied to get to a different state park and it essentially led me to a seasonal snowmobile path..... Major PITA, but I think it's the location rather than the GPS.

Same issues with my Pioneer Z120

Get notified of new replies

To Navigation sucks!!!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:31 PM
petes ZO6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnodrake
You are free to use what ever you want to. I am happy with the Nav in my Vette. YMMV
Old 04-18-2012, 08:33 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

No problem with mine. The HUD feature is great and also autovolume which aftermarket doesn't have also
Old 04-18-2012, 08:36 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Like dem Vettes
The nav unit in our 2003 Acura is easier to use and it is much more intuitive. I use a Garmin with lifetime maps in my 06 Corvette.

I still do not understand why car nav units need to be updated with DVDs. Why can't they be updated via a USB port using a laptop in a manner similar to the update procedure for portable nav units.
I agree about the Acura nav. I have a 2008 Acura TL. It's the best nav unit I have ever used, and I've used a bunch.

Quick Reply: Navigation sucks!!!