C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Blancer

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 06:17 PM
AV8TOR536
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
I want to hear from somebody, anybody, who has personally had an HB actually fail on a stock LS2/LS3. We are all out there replacing our HB's like *****'s, and more than half the people who own C6's don't even know what it is, where it is, or what it does. They just drive on, miles upon miles, and we never here of a single incident from anyone it personally happened to.

I'm not being contrary, but I have yet to read of one, single, failure on a stock LS2/3. Have we unnecessarily created a cottage industry of HB replacement???
My 05 has been wobbling ever since I bought it at 27,000 and have 34,000 now and it will wobble on cuz Im not doing **** to it! It wobbles but the rubber inside is even with the steel and its about 3" back from the rack..I'm not worried...RUN HER TILL SHE BLOWS! LOL
Old 01-29-2018, 01:17 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
Windy, that is exactly my point/question. Everyone says they had their "defective" HB replaced, some say it "failed" and was replaced. But, I would think there would be a quantifiable definition of allowable runout before the part has reached "failure". Up to this point, "wobbling" is the defining term....pretty vague.
In my case, I asked a friend to take a look and his reaction was "Whoa, yes, that's a wobble!" He seemed impressed. I don't think I'm interested in catastrophic failure, so I'll get it replaced.

I heard chirping a couple of weeks ago, which gave me a clue.

I've read that the A/C unit is linked to all this, and it gets hot here.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:28 PM
SFCBOGLE
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine replaced under used car limited warranty. I asked if they would replace the HB with an aftermarket I purchased and they said no because they can't warranty the aftermarket HB. Unfortunately, the "new" HB wobbles just as much, if not more. The belts aren't chirping yet, but I'm sure it's a matter of time. Has anyone had a "run-out" test performed on the crankshaft when new HBs don't correct the wobble problem?

Quick Reply: Harmonic Blancer