C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Blancer

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 04:51 PM
Biggie G
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybee924
I have a powerbond 25% Underdrive for sale PBU1117SS25 like new. Will for the GS auto and the base C6 wet sump. Will not fit the GS 6-speed dry sump. $160 shipped
that %25 gives a few HP's? or whats the deal ?

thanks
Old 12-05-2017, 04:53 PM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts

Slows down accessories and frees up power.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:25 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio56
So I've heard but I've tried from that side and can't see it. Mine is only visible from the drivers side. And clearly so. 2010 GS. I dunno'.

Maybe what I'm thinking is the HB is clearly some other pulley and my HB is completely wobble free, as anything I see from the passenger side is running true. It is only the lower left pulley only visible from my drivers side that wobbles. If it isn't the HB then what is it?
Dan, you may be looking at something else. You saying it is at 8:00 o'clock also makes me think you are not seeing the balancer. It is attached to your crankshaft right in the middle of the engine.
Next time you are out my way, stop over and I'll show you what to look for.
I can also show you my ATI balancer.

Last edited by HBsurfer; 12-05-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:28 PM
Biggie G
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybee924
Slows down accessories and frees up power.
oh, no way for me...i need my alternator and air conditioning
Old 12-05-2017, 10:43 PM
cam1969
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Did it myself for ~ $308 with very high quality parts.

Harmonic Damper PBB-PB1117SS $215
ARP Balancer Bolt Kit 234-2503 $34
Crankshaft seal ACDELCO 29602 $15
Belts CONTINENTAL 4040410 CONTINENTAL 4060798 $29
Power steering fluid $14.5

Borrowed some tools - torque wrench, puller - from local autoparts "loan-a-tool" program. Was a pain in the A, but doable. Took about 10hrs (probably longer than most) and needed a second pair of hands to take the rack in and out. Make sure you seal the keyway and bolt to prevent oil leak. Plenty of videos on youtube to walk you through it.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:54 PM
ErikR
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 81 Posts

I had mine replaced by a local, trusted, mechanic with corvette experience. Went with the ATI in std size. It came to $900 for all.

If you're wondering what a wobbly HB on a LS2 looks like, here's a video of mine...

Last edited by ErikR; 12-05-2017 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:39 AM
danzio56
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
Dan, you may be looking at something else. You saying it is at 8:00 o'clock also makes me think you are not seeing the balancer. It is attached to your crankshaft right in the middle of the engine.
Next time you are out my way, stop over and I'll show you what to look for.
I can also show you my ATI balancer.
Hey Tony, thank you for the offer! The pulley I'm seeing that's wobbling can only be seen from the driver's side, unless you are removing a shroud to see it from the passenger side. I shot a video of it last night just before we were leaving for our monthly club meeting. I'll see if I can post it up after work today.

I should come by and get your eyes on it. Also you can probably tell me from your experience, assuming it is the HB, whether or not it needs to be done soon. I'll give you a shout out, maybe after the holidays and scoot on over. And Merry Christmas to you and Dee.
The following users liked this post:
sabersaw30 (12-24-2018)
Old 12-06-2017, 12:34 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by danzio56
So I've heard but I've tried from that side and can't see it. Mine is only visible from the drivers side. And clearly so. 2010 GS. I dunno'.

Maybe what I'm thinking is the HB is clearly some other pulley and my HB is completely wobble free, as anything I see from the passenger side is running true. It is only the lower left pulley only visible from my drivers side that wobbles. If it isn't the HB then what is it?
The LS3 has a box on the air intake that blocks the view from the passenger side. You can clearly see it from under the car.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:56 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

I want to hear from somebody, anybody, who has personally had an HB actually fail on a stock LS2/LS3. We are all out there replacing our HB's like *****'s, and more than half the people who own C6's don't even know what it is, where it is, or what it does. They just drive on, miles upon miles, and we never here of a single incident from anyone it personally happened to.

I'm not being contrary, but I have yet to read of one, single, failure on a stock LS2/3. Have we unnecessarily created a cottage industry of HB replacement???

Last edited by buckmeister2; 12-06-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:39 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bjohn
I haven't had one fail on an LS based engine, but have personally had one fail on a fox body I had recently while driving it.

Do you want to be on the side of the road? Maybe drive home and need to rebuild the engine?...
Why are you asking me that???? It has absolutely ZERO bearing on my post.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:54 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
I want to hear from somebody, anybody, who has personally had an HB actually fail on a stock LS2/LS3. We are all out there replacing our HB's like *****'s, and more than half the people who own C6's don't even know what it is, where it is, or what it does. They just drive on, miles upon miles, and we never here of a single incident from anyone it personally happened to.

I'm not being contrary, but I have yet to read of one, single, failure on a stock LS2/3. Have we unnecessarily created a cottage industry of HB replacement???
I have read about 3, maybe 4 failures on here in the last year or so. I go between C6 General and C6 Tech and don't recall exactly where I read the posts, but there are a few on this forum. If I recall, the balancer jams into the steering rack and shreds the belt. A lot of noise but surprisingly not any major damage on the posts I saw.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:57 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Easy tough guy lol.

My point was balancers do fail. If they are wobbling, something is wrong. Do you disagree?
Did I ask if "balancers" fail? NO. Did I ask if Ford balancers fail? NO.

I feel like Ice-T at the lemonade stand..."Can't you read? It says "LEMONADE!!"

Regards,
Tough Guy
Old 12-07-2017, 12:08 AM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
I have read about 3, maybe 4 failures on here in the last year or so. I go between C6 General and C6 Tech and don't recall exactly where I read the posts, but there are a few on this forum. If I recall, the balancer jams into the steering rack and shreds the belt. A lot of noise but surprisingly not any major damage on the posts I saw.
I have heard that, too, but did not read it. I have tried everything I can think of to find those posts, and have not been able to. the only I actually found concerned a failure on a supercharged motor HB, which does not impact most of us. I realize what the likely outcome of the failure is, but I am looking for proof that a significant threat exists on base, non-modified LS2/3 engines.

I don't necessarily doubt that a failure could happen, but would like to know if there is much evidence that it does.

Thanks for your post,
The following users liked this post:
owc6 (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 12:10 AM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Old 12-07-2017, 12:18 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

For me it was like this, I looked and saw a wobble, it had gotten worse over a short course of time, then I thought about my car when it was on the dyno with that pulley spinnin at around 6000 RPM's, that was enough for me
Maybe it would have never failed, maybe, but I didn't want to take the chance so it was replaced and now running straight and true
Take it for what its worth, its your car
NSF
Old 12-07-2017, 12:42 AM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 323 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I have heard that, too, but did not read it. I have tried everything I can think of to find those posts, and have not been able to. the only I actually found concerned a failure on a supercharged motor HB, which does not impact most of us. I realize what the likely outcome of the failure is, but I am looking for proof that a significant threat exists on base, non-modified LS2/3 engines.

I don't necessarily doubt that a failure could happen, but would like to know if there is much evidence that it does.

Thanks for your post,
Thanks for your post.......
Old 12-07-2017, 10:54 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-balancer.html

Also. If the balancer is wobbling and the belts are chirping then the part has FAILED. Just because the pullies aren't flying out of the hoods doesn't mean they haven't failed. If the part is no longer working to spec it has failed. Wobbling too much is failing.

Catastrophic failures are very rare. Probably because then the belts start chirping the part is getting replaced before it does fail catastrophically.

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic Blancer

Old 12-07-2017, 11:08 AM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

What is strange to me is we have two SS Camaro's (5th gen) and we have been fairly active active in the show car world with one of them attending several national "Camaro only" shows. I have never heard of this problem with the Camaro crowd or experienced it myself.

My Vette is '05 and I see from the VIS report that the HB was replaced at 37,000 miles under an extended warranty purchased by the original owner. The car only has about 45,000 on it now and all is well.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:29 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Not at all.like you said lots don't know what it is or where its located.they drive cars till they stop.I've replaced a dozen of them including 2 in my own car.new GM balancer lasted 4,000 miles.very disappointing at the time.replaced with ATI and no issues since
Old 12-07-2017, 11:49 AM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

My totally stock 2011 LS3 failed at 80k miles. The chirping was so bad other drivers could hear it in traffic.

Quick Reply: Harmonic Blancer