C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgating!

Old 01-15-2019, 12:41 PM
Santino
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Tailgating!

I recently bought a 2008 C6 and I'm having the time of my life driving it, except for one thing. It seems everyone on the planet wants to ride my butt. It's not like I can't be seen because it is Velocity Yellow. Have any of you had success with adding the flashing center brake light? I really don't want to be rear-ended because it's not like there's much car behind the rear wheels. Am I just being paranoid?
Old 01-15-2019, 12:52 PM
Cockroach
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 97 Posts

I think you may have answered your own question with "not like there's much car behind the rear wheels"
The following users liked this post:
OlyC6 (01-17-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 12:55 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Something about the color
Old 01-15-2019, 01:05 PM
JJ1956
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I got totalled driving 65 in the slow lane on the interstate. Then I got rear ended sitting at a red light two weeks later. I am a little paranoid of the distracted drivers out there. I put a strobe on my daily driver, but who knows what good , maybe can't hurt. Then the texters who cross the lane headed toward you. Bought a super loud horn for that. Thankfully, not driving the vette when bad drivers headed my way.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:05 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

Possible cause?

It's easy for people in SUVs and trucks to see over the car, so they tend to lessen their following distance. Same problem with motorcycles, only more severe in that case.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:11 PM
ssg10587
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 82 Posts

People are more aggressive towards me in the vette, especially others in faster cars. Passed someone the other day and they instantly sped up to ride my butt. I don't know why but more aggressive cars seem to make some people want to challenge you.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:15 PM
SlothX311
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Santino
I recently bought a 2008 C6 and I'm having the time of my life driving it, except for one thing. It seems everyone on the planet wants to ride my butt. It's not like I can't be seen because it is Velocity Yellow. Have any of you had success with adding the flashing center brake light? I really don't want to be rear-ended because it's not like there's much car behind the rear wheels. Am I just being paranoid?
They make products like this:
Back Off Brake Light Back Off Brake Light
for this exact thing. I've noticed the same thing when driving mine. I don't think it happens anymore in a sports car, I think people are just rude a$$ holes. Just today in my truck I had some POS impala behind me that by the looks of his vehicle, probably didn't have insurance. He was so close to me that I couldn't see his headlights over my tailgate.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:24 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

Maybe paranoid?
Maybe with a new car and using the mirrors the tailgaters seem closer?

I do not recommend you begin brake checking those tailgaters!
Blinking third light, I don't think would help.

What would help could be to move over a lane and let the tailgater go on their way.
And don't stress, just enjoy your ride.

Good luck.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kenny94945:
ontime (01-16-2019), Smokeysvette (01-15-2019), tabing (02-06-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 01:39 PM
SlothX311
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
What would help could be to move over a lane and let the tailgater go on their way.
I don't cruise in the passing lane and this still happens to me in the right lane. Some people are just jerks.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:43 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

I do not get too much in the way tailgaters, but I will confess to being one myself ( 'hi, my name is chris, and I'm a tailgater' ).
what I do notice a lot connected to the tailgating is, when stopped a light, I get a lot people stopping closer then I would expect.
I can usually only see their headlights ( barely ). if I'm trying to pass someone though, about half of the time, they will speed up
just a bit. either out of jealousy or maybe trying to race.
not to hijack your thread ( or maybe I am ), my biggest pet peeve is the left land bandits. this has been going on for many years now,
and is getting worse every day. people used to move other with upcoming traffic. not anymore. they will hold there ground till the bitter end. now having said that, I did get a 'warning' two weeks ago. I was heading back from reno and moving traffic ( 75-80mph )m when I came up a sheriff in the passing lane. at the time I was doing 65mpg (posted limit ), but I guess I got a little too close as he flashed his lights at me. backed off for the next 7 - 8 miles. he flashed another car too. but the guy driving a lifted 4X4 with snow mobiles on top
(platform on top of the bed, about 1' overhang on each side ), was not so lucky. he got to meet the officer personally.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:49 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

The number of ******* drivers has increased. Too many tailgaters. If they're too close, I'll either speed up about 15-20 MPH if it's convenient, or else slow down to 15-20 MPH under the speed limit.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:02 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,162 Likes on 583 Posts

You're in a Corvette. Just outrun them.....
The following 3 users liked this post by JDSKY:
ByRiver (01-16-2019), GS60th#47 (01-17-2019), jimijam (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 02:08 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,744 Likes on 4,210 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I get tailgated significantly more in my GS than I do in my other 2 vehicles. My hypothesis is that people assume I'm going to be driving faster because of the car and, by nature of that hypothesis, will get pulled over first if I am. Being in a bright orange sports car with aggressive sounding exhaust I'm not going to increase my chances of getting stopped by speeding, so 5 over or less it is.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:10 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

I have a vert, and when I look in my rear view mirror, most of the time, the car behind me only looks closer then it is. If I'm sitting at a light and no one is behind, but a car is coming up to my rear, I pump my brake pedal to catch the drivers attention, but I also keep the clutch depressed and in first gear just in case. It's bad enough getting rear ended in a car. This is one of the reasons I finally stopped riding my motorcycle after seeing it happen to another rider by a distracted driver.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:11 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

I'm trying to less of the '*******', especially since it feels like more of the minority now ( observing left lane passing courtesy ).
I was taught in drivers ed., that you pass on the left, then move back to the right. outside of California, I experienced this first hand.
drove to ohio last year and, as soon as I got past reno, nv., for the next 2k miles, about 99% of the drivers followed this procedure.
my friend, whose wife is Asian, said that her mother also drives continuously in the passing lane.
when she asked her why, she said doing so, allowed to only worry about one lane ( to the right ).
at first I thought that maybe is was cultural. maybe other countries have other thoughts on this.
but the more drivers I see, it's not specific to any gender, race, or culture.
maybe I'm approaching that 'get off my lawn' stage of life.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:12 PM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SlothX311
I don't cruise in the passing lane and this still happens to me in the right lane. Some people are just jerks.
Does your username come into play here ?? Just wondering.
GS60th#47 (01-17-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 02:13 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

I had one the other day, driving my Equinox to work in the freeway. A-hole trucker driving a container to the ship yard tailgating me. Couldn't even see his headlights. I'm in the right lane, so just started slowing down. He finally figured it out when we hit 40mph, passes me and tailgates the next guy. I got a company name off the truck and his truck number, but couldn't find the company on the internet. Very frustrating and dangerous, pulling that much weight and tailgating that close, in my mind constitutes a threat to do great bodily harm.

Get notified of new replies

To Tailgating!

Old 01-15-2019, 02:15 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
Maybe paranoid?
Maybe with a new car and using the mirrors the tailgaters seem closer?

I do not recommend you begin brake checking those tailgaters!
Blinking third light, I don't think would help.

And don't stress, just enjoy your ride.

Good luck.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:19 PM
CWIC
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ssg10587
People are more aggressive towards me in the vette, especially others in faster cars. Passed someone the other day and they instantly sped up to ride my butt. I don't know why but more aggressive cars seem to make some people want to challenge you.
I noticed this right away in the Corvette, sometimes I feel like a moving target. Especially Dodge Chargers and for some reason Corollas and Honda Civic's. Doesn't happen in my twin turbo Explorer.
Originally Posted by SlothX311
Originally Posted by Vette_DD
The number of ******* drivers has increased. Too many tailgaters. If they're too close, I'll either speed up about 15-20 MPH if it's convenient, or else slow down to 15-20 MPH under the speed limit.

Drugs, alcohol and rock & roll here in CA. In the last 10 years the amount of third world drivers has gotten crazy here too. Gotta get out of their way one way or another.
ssg10587 (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 02:24 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by CWIC
I noticed this right away in the Corvette, sometimes I feel like a moving target. Especially Dodge Chargers and for some reason Corollas and Honda Civic's. Doesn't happen in my twin turbo Explorer.

Drugs, alcohol and rock & roll here in CA. In the last 10 years the amount of third world drivers has gotten crazy here too. Gotta get out of their way one way or another.
This is real 3rd world driving. It doesn't even compare. Hang out in the middle east and you'll miss the dipshits here In CA

Last edited by Shaolin Crane; 01-15-2019 at 04:42 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tailgating!