C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgating!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 07:15 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

Pop the top and flip pennies out. One or two of the little copper things bounce off the tailgaters' car and they'll back off.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:40 PM
wstafford
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

One day last summer me and my wife went to Bowling Green to visit the NCM. Seems like 240 or 250 miles. A nice little ride except for dealing with Nashville. On the way home we were below Nashville on 24, it's a two lane on each side. I was in the right lane with my cruise set on 70. A tractor trailer was following me, kinda close but not too bad. There was a fellow in the right lane in an older pickup with a camper on it with a fishing boat of some kind behind him. He was just riding there not passing anybody. This went on for quite a while, somebody behind the tractor trailer had enough and I saw him coming in my right mirror, he must have been running 90 when he passed me on the right shoulder of the road. I couldn't hardly believe it. The dude pulling the boat got the message and sped up and pulled over into the right lane, after that musta been 40 cars came flying by. He really had them backed up. The more I think about it, I probably was part of the problem, I could have sped up and opened the lane up so folks could get by the oblivious driver of the pick up. But, I was running the speed limit in the right lane, I was doing nothing wrong, maybe? If I had it to do over i'd have went on and opened the road up for folks behind me, even though the truck is the one that should have moved on and gotten out of the way. The museum was nice. hahaaha.
Stafford
Old 01-15-2019, 08:06 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I had an asshat tailgating me just the other day. I was doing around 80 and his truck was so close to my rear that all I could see above my spoiler were his headlights. I slowed down and started pacing a van in the center lane that was also pacing a car in the slow lane. As soon as I came upon another car in my lane I shot ahead, passed the van, and left the truck stuck behind three slow vehicles while I hauled *** away from him. A few minutes later here he comes again, and right back on my rear bumper. He ended up following me 7 miles to the corner store near my house, and I ended up having to pull my gun out to scare him off.

I really F'ing hate Texas and can't wait to get the hell out of here.
Using your gun to "scare him off" is considered a threat, and a crime in Texas. All he has to do is call 911 and report you. I would never pull a gun, unless it was a life or death situation!

In Texas, the reckless use of a weapon is known as deadly conduct and can be charged as either a misdemeanor or felony offense, depending on the circumstances. Using weapons in a dangerous, threatening, or reckless manner is a crime.
I don't know if you see the gibberish that the website is inserting, but I apologize in advance!

Last edited by marinablu67; 01-15-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:34 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by marinablu67
Using your gun to "scare him off" is considered a threat, and a crime in Texas. All he has to do is call 911 and report you. I would never pull a gun, unless it was a life or death situation!

In Texas, the reckless use of a weapon is known as deadly conduct and can be charged as either a misdemeanor or felony offense, depending on the circumstances. Using weapons in a dangerous, threatening, or reckless manner is a crime.
I don't know if you see the gibberish that the website is inserting, but I apologize in advance!
I gave the cliff notes version. He threatened me with a gun first, and I have a witness who can testify to that. I was in fear for my life, and had every right to do what I did. I've owned guns for years, and this is the first time I've ever been afraid of losing my life enough to pull mine on another human.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 01-15-2019 at 08:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
marinablu67 (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 09:02 PM
Rontime
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If you're being tailgated, you are probably driving too slow for the lane you are in. Don't try to regulate other's speed. Don't hit your brake pedal. Don't spray your windshield. Don't pull a gun. Stay to the right. If drivers are still too close for your comfort, then brother, take the frontage road!
Old 01-15-2019, 09:05 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rontime
If you're being tailgated, you are probably driving too slow for the lane you are in. Don't try to regulate other's speed. Don't hit your brake pedal. Don't spray your windshield. Don't pull a gun. Stay to the right. If drivers are still too close for your comfort, then brother, take the frontage road!
I tried pulling to the right. He followed me there too. The guy shot across 3 lanes of highway to run up against my rear end when it all started, and stayed there until I took action to get away from him.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:35 PM
hogfanandy
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Seems like every time I go out for a 1-2 hour drive, I have a couple of folks want to race or otherwise act like fools. Here in Memphis the three worst violators are, in no particular order:

1. Nissan Maximas and Altimas
2. Dodge Ram pickup trucks
3. ********* in V6, plain-jane, Dodge Chargers.

Never a dull moment when I want to go for a relaxing drive.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:22 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by hogfanandy
Seems like every time I go out for a 1-2 hour drive, I have a couple of folks want to race or otherwise act like fools. Here in Memphis the three worst violators are, in no particular order:

1. Nissan Maximas and Altimas
2. Dodge Ram pickup trucks
3. ********* in V6, plain-jane, Dodge Chargers.

Never a dull moment when I want to go for a relaxing drive.
Its Dodge anything for me. Especially in school zones for whatever reason.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:28 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by jimijam
Pop the top and flip pennies out. One or two of the little copper things bounce off the tailgaters' car and they'll back off.
I used to carry ball bearings on my motorcycle.....
Old 01-16-2019, 11:12 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by SlothX311
Right. Dude playing speed police in the passing lane and thinks the truck is the asshat.
LOL.....Anyone tailgating is the bad guy regardless of what lane they are in. This all falls into the category of "It's all about me" which seems to be the way of these new millennial spoiled brats. You got to love it when you're in a line at the store and some idiot is holding up the line cause they are on their phone. Then someone finally gets fed up and ask them to put the phone down and the person on the phone looks at them and acts like they are the bad guy. The ol "I dare you be so rude as to point out how rude I am" thing.....LOL. Isn't our society great !!!.......
Old 01-16-2019, 01:38 PM
oldcanuck
Pro

Received 303 Likes on 193 Posts

I had an asshat tailgating me just the other day. I was doing around 80 and his truck was so close to my rear that all I could see above my spoiler were his headlights. I slowed down and started pacing a van in the center lane that was also pacing a car in the slow lane. As soon as I came upon another car in my lane I shot ahead, passed the van, and left the truck stuck behind three slow vehicles while I hauled *** away from him. A few minutes later here he comes again, and right back on my rear bumper. He ended up following me 7 miles to the corner store near my house, and I ended up having to pull my gun out to scare him off.

I've driven in many places all over USA and Canada.
I live in Canada where everyone is supposed to be polite.
Well I hate to tell ya but the are terrible drivers and idiots everywhere!
Old 01-16-2019, 01:45 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by Rontime
Good advice for open/relatively open road. If you are stuck in traffic and have someone all over your butt, usually about the best you can hope for is not being hit. Taking offensive action usually causes more problems than it solves. Getting away if you can is the best solution, but can be tough in some situations, as can merely changing lanes.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:39 PM
danzio56
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 90 Posts

Reminds me of the opening scene from Christmas Vacation until you got to the part with the gun.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:59 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by danzio56
Reminds me of the opening scene from Christmas Vacation until you got to the part with the gun.
Believe me, the whole situation was completely surreal, but it got really real at the end of it all. I just hope I'm never put in another situation where I feel the need to pull my gun out. I never had to when I was a LEO in my early 20's, and honestly thought I never would.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:02 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Could be perspective, when you look back in the mirrors. the other cars look closer than they really are. Check it in your drive way with another vehicle behind yours. Set the other behind you where you can see the Corvette's tires touching the pavement and then get in it and see what it looks like from inside. Move the other car back and forth and check again from inside and out.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:05 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by 72GACRZR
Could be perspective, when you look back in the mirrors. the other cars look closer than they really are. Check it in your drive way with another vehicle behind yours. Set the other behind you where you can see the Corvette's tires touching the pavement and then get in it and see what it looks like from inside. Move the other car back and forth and check again from inside and out.
It's not perspective. As I mentioned in my OP, I couldn't see anything but his headlights in my rear view mirror. If he'd been following at a normal distance I would have been able to see everything from his bumper on up. I've been driving Vette's for over six years and am well accustomed to the depth perception tricks it can play.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:07 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Moral to the story. Avoid Texas!

Get notified of new replies

To Tailgating!

Old 01-16-2019, 05:10 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
Moral to the story. Avoid Texas!
Old 01-16-2019, 08:22 PM
sfrank2886
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Yes please, Thank You!
Old 01-16-2019, 10:27 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

To add a positive note, I notice that people move over for me much more frequently when I’m in the Vette vs. anything else (even on my old crotch rocket). Maybe because it’s red.

This especially happens on mountain roads. People pull off for me all the time to pass. Except for big diesel pickups. For some reason, those guys most frequently NEVER pull off. Almost like they’re doing it on purpose.

Quick Reply: Tailgating!