C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What throttle controller did you buy or plan to buy?
Vitesse ($179.00)
46.51%
Pedal Commander ($299.99)
8.14%
CoW ($199.00)
45.35%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Throttle Controller Popularity Poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 02:10 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
I dunno but it does make tip in way WAY faster...so it might help ET some...
Nope. It's like a "feel good" tune. It feels good to the driver who is moving his foot, but the passenger and the 60' number on the timeslip never notice a difference.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:59 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Guyzer7
This is not a Vendor thread. Please do not advertise here.
There is no, I repeat no vendor worse at crashing a thread then the CoWboy. He does it when he feels the most threatened which is always. And unlike other vendors, he bashes ALL vendors competing with him for your hard earned $$$.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:36 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Nope. It's like a "feel good" tune. It feels good to the driver who is moving his foot, but the passenger and the 60' number on the timeslip never notice a difference.
I would propose that it should make at least a small difference; it might be immeasurable in practice. Electricity flows much faster than physically moving your foot further on the accelerator, so if you reach a desired throttle position 30 milliseconds sooner with a throttle controller the car is moving at the desired pace sooner. It probably doesn't translate into a meaningful drop in et but should be there in reality.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:02 PM
LilNutSac
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
There is no, I repeat no vendor worse at crashing a thread then the CoWboy. He does it when he feels the most threatened which is always. And unlike other vendors, he bashes ALL vendors competing with him for your hard earned $$$.
Oh! That's the guy that was adamant about the corvette tax not existing and being some big hoax. hahahaha! Your company is one of the MAIN OFFENDERS. He probably thinks that dealership service departments are great and they also are victim of some grand conspiracy
The following 2 users liked this post by LilNutSac:
theboz32 (05-22-2019), Vet Interested (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 06:55 PM
Guyzer7
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 59 Posts

Although a throttle controller doesn't give the car more power, it seems it can enhance the driving experience, especially if your are driving through canyons and want more throttle sensitivity. Much like a short throw shifter doesn't give the car more power, just better control. It all about dialing it in to suit your driving style. I already have a Z06 exhaust and a tune but the throttle does lag a bit. It looks like the Vitesse brand wins the poll and I think Ill order one today. Thanks to everyone who participated in the poll.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:54 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by LilNutSac
Oh! That's the guy that was adamant about the corvette tax not existing and being some big hoax. hahahaha! Your company is one of the MAIN OFFENDERS. He probably thinks that dealership service departments are great and they also are victim of some grand conspiracy
Hey you, NutSac!. Well, I got nothin more, just never had the opportunity to say that on the forum before.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:10 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

Here is what I know...I 've owned a car with it....You get more throttle with less movement of the foot and pedal...those movements no matter what take time and less time time is usually quicker ET.. If I can get 100% throttle two inches quicker than you then I'm ahead in time....or burning rubber sooner.

Seriously... the weirdest thing was I got a little better MPG because i was so aware of any pedal movement I learned to be softer on the pedal...
Old 05-10-2019, 01:22 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Here is what I know...I 've owned a car with it....You get more throttle with less movement of the foot and pedal...those movements no matter what take time and less time time is usually quicker ET.. If I can get 100% throttle two inches quicker than you then I'm ahead in time....or burning rubber sooner.

Seriously... the weirdest thing was I got a little better MPG because i was so aware of any pedal movement I learned to be softer on the pedal...

That's all actually true and you will pick up mpg on the highway once you learn how to drive the car.

Pretty cool!
Chuck CoW
The following users liked this post:
theboz32 (05-22-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 08:41 AM
Guyzer7
Racer

OK, I placed my order for the Vitesse throttle controller. Hopefully, I'll get it by next week so I can see what all you guys are talking about... Vroom!

Old 05-17-2019, 11:28 AM
m.whitmell
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Haved a Vitesse which sent my Z06 into low power mode twice before throwing in the garbage.......
The following 3 users liked this post by m.whitmell:
Chuck CoW (05-21-2019), theboz32 (05-22-2019), Welker1 (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 11:30 AM
Guyzer7
Racer

Originally Posted by m.whitmell
Haved a Vitesse which sent my Z06 into low power mode twice before throwing in the garbage.......
Well that's not good! Did you have the newer model with the dial?
Old 05-17-2019, 02:01 PM
m.whitmell
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Guyzer7
Well that's not good! Did you have the newer model with the dial?
Had the origional 2 button.....did like the function but not the issues ......
Old 05-17-2019, 05:28 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by BadAV
I would propose that it should make at least a small difference; it might be immeasurable in practice. Electricity flows much faster than physically moving your foot further on the accelerator, so if you reach a desired throttle position 30 milliseconds sooner with a throttle controller the car is moving at the desired pace sooner. It probably doesn't translate into a meaningful drop in et but should be there in reality.
Here is what I know...I 've owned a car with it....You get more throttle with less movement of the foot and pedal...those movements no matter what take time and less time time is usually quicker ET.. If I can get 100% throttle two inches quicker than you then I'm ahead in time....or burning rubber sooner. .
Since the 60' clocks measure to the closest 1,000th of a second, aka millisecond, and the timer doesn't start until the beam is restored, the tire diameter or how deep you stage can make more difference than the speed of your foot movement over a shorter distance.

BTW, throttle controllers don't change the acceleration/deceleration ramp rates of the stepper motor.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:50 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

...BTW, throttle controllers don't change the acceleration/deceleration ramp rates of the stepper motor.
But I paid all that money. Surely it must do something. I'm sure I can feel it doing something. If I couldn't feel it, then I would have wasted my money. Yes. I'm sure I can feel it.

Last edited by FortMorganAl; 05-18-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:59 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
But I paid all that money. Surely it must do something. I'm sure I can feel it doing something. If I couldn't feel it, then I would have wasted my money. Yes. I'm sure I can feel it.
Deny it all you want. They definitely change the way the car drives, whether you think they do or not. I was of your opinion until I decided I didn't stand to lose much if I didn't like it. It's still on my car 4 years later and is still one of the most enjoyable mods I have done. So on this we will simply agree to disagree, although I have to believe you have never driven a car and tried the different settings out. I could understand if you said you didn't like it, but not that they don't do anything.

Last edited by BadAV; 05-18-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:12 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

I don't currently have a dog in this fight but I've been watching the thread with interest. What I can tell you is I spent over 20 years of my life racing cars professionally and simple changes like remapping throttle response can often have a drastic effect on lowering lap times, or not.

I would love to see a shootout between the stock settings and the different controllers, but that will probably not happen. I'd also really be interested in hearing from anyone that has spent a track day with and without a control to hear your thoughts and lap times.

Anyhoo.... no matter what the $200 throttle controller actually does if it puts a big smile on your face every time you drive the car that's a cheap price to pay in my humble opinion.

YMMV
Old 05-18-2019, 01:22 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Attachment 48332108 Attachment 48332108 Attachment 48332108

So you've got one in your straight-8 Buick, Al????

Get notified of new replies

To Throttle Controller Popularity Poll

Old 05-18-2019, 04:53 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by BadAV
Deny it all you want. They definitely change the way the car drives, whether you think they do or not. I was of your opinion until I decided I didn't stand to lose much if I didn't like it. It's still on my car 4 years later and is still one of the most enjoyable mods I have done. So on this we will simply agree to disagree, although I have to believe you have never driven a car and tried the different settings out. I could understand if you said you didn't like it, but not that they don't do anything.
Oh, it does something alright, but it's not changing the acceleration or deceleration ramps of the stepper motor. The throttle plate does not move from a dead stop at full speed, nor does it slam to a stop either direction.
What throttle controllers do, is electronically change the relationship between the distance of available foot pedal movement and the degree of throttle plate rotation. The stock curve is a slow progression to obtain smooth foot control at low engine speeds. A curve can be created to be a lower or higher progression or simply a linear progression. A linear rheostat is like your radio volume control or a light dimmer switch.

Linear is like cars with 1 or 2 barrel carbs that used a steel rod had, where you can change the rate of progression by moving the location of the connection on the bellcrank. 4 barrel and multi-carb cars slowed the rate by opening additional throttle plates progressively using mechanical or vacuum methods. Most all carbs on auto trans cars had a diaphragm to slow the throttle plate from slamming shut when the pedal was lifted. When cars with cable throttles became the norm, a progressive system was possible by using an eccentric on the throttle shaft. Electronics created far more choices than the old mechanical systems.

BTW, I have driven cars with the highly selectable Vitesse system and the limited Booster type. If I had a need for more control than my foot can provide, the Vitesse would be my choice, since it has slower than stock progression (aka delayed) user choices in limited traction situations.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:44 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Oh, it does something alright, but it's not changing the acceleration or deceleration ramps of the stepper motor. The throttle plate does not move from a dead stop at full speed, nor does it slam to a stop either direction.
What throttle controllers do, is electronically change the relationship between the distance of available foot pedal movement and the degree of throttle plate rotation. The stock curve is a slow progression to obtain smooth foot control at low engine speeds. A curve can be created to be a lower or higher progression or simply a linear progression. A linear rheostat is like your radio volume control or a light dimmer switch.

Linear is like cars with 1 or 2 barrel carbs that used a steel rod had, where you can change the rate of progression by moving the location of the connection on the bellcrank. 4 barrel and multi-carb cars slowed the rate by opening additional throttle plates progressively using mechanical or vacuum methods. Most all carbs on auto trans cars had a diaphragm to slow the throttle plate from slamming shut when the pedal was lifted. When cars with cable throttles became the norm, a progressive system was possible by using an eccentric on the throttle shaft. Electronics created far more choices than the old mechanical systems.

BTW, I have driven cars with the highly selectable Vitesse system and the limited Booster type. If I had a need for more control than my foot can provide, the Vitesse would be my choice, since it has slower than stock progression (aka delayed) user choices in limited traction situations.
I 100% understand exactly what they do, as do you. I am a degreed engineer with an electrical engineering background and I worked as a quality engineer/manager in tier one OEM supplier manufacturing for over 20 years. The throttle controller allows me to tailor the throttle exactly to my liking, which is more linear instead of the stock 50% pedal movement gives 20% actual throttle application. I have seen the graphs of the exponential curve (half parabola?) of the OEM throttle mapping.

Aggressive OEM throttle application is the reason some cars, like the 4 cylinder 2013 Subaru Outback I previously owned, feel much peppier than they really are.

I put the Vitesse on it's most delayed setting shortly after I bought it, and it feels like you are dragging a boat anchor. If I ever had to Valet park, that's the setting I would leave them with!
The following users liked this post:
HOXXOH (05-19-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 07:26 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

But I paid all that money.
Do you have one? Which one?

Quick Reply: Throttle Controller Popularity Poll