C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drifting with an automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:48 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drifting with an automatic?

Since there are so many drafting movies out there, 2 of my friends were arguing about whether a car would have to have a manual transmission in order to drift. One guy said that you can drift with an auto while the other guy said no, you must have a manual transmission in order to drift.

Since I don't know the answer, I told them I would post on the corvette forum and see if anyone knows the answer to this.

So I would appreciate information on this. Thanks
Old 10-02-2007, 09:23 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

All you need is power to break the rear tires loose in a turn to drift! You actually don't need that much power, you just need to pull the e-brake up You don't need an manual to do it.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:48 PM
rollin18
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by csun213
Since there are so many drafting movies out there, 2 of my friends were arguing about whether a car would have to have a manual transmission in order to drift. One guy said that you can drift with an auto while the other guy said no, you must have a manual transmission in order to drift.

Since I don't know the answer, I told them I would post on the corvette forum and see if anyone knows the answer to this.

So I would appreciate information on this. Thanks
Im pretty sure all you need is some deep water and mabey a sail f you want to drift fast... a good current helps also

seriously though, ive scene it done Both ways, you might check out some drifting forums.. seems like it would be easier with AT as you can work the breaks/ e break/ and gas/ steering wheel better

Last edited by rollin18; 10-02-2007 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:23 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I've often wondered about that as well. Most well known/successful drift cars are in fact manual transmissioned, I think they need to be able to not only select a specific gear during a run but more importantly be able to hold it there. I would think that a paddle shift/A6 Corvette type of trans could be even better than messing with a clutch pedal in that regard.
If the rear would hold up I would think that a Corvette could make a decent drift car.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:03 AM
thx007
Racer

You can absolutely drift with an automatic. It is only a matter of power, balance and grip. When drifting a manual, you aren't using the clutch to break the tires loose, only the lateral g's of the car and power application. The same is easily done with an auto.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:54 AM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think a tight torque converter is a must, also not sure what additional torque management with A6 is going to do.

A manual would be more predictable IMO.

Mike
Old 10-03-2007, 05:22 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, you can drift with an automatic transmission. in the c6 you must turn off the 'driver aids' when/if you want to drift. the t/c and a/h will have fits if you try to drift with them on.

place the automatic in first or second and it will stay there it won't shift any higher, and you can drift all day.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:44 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Lets us know how long the trans lasts when you do this.

Those with curios minds would like to know.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:35 AM
thx007
Racer

I have repeatedly drifted several automatic equipped cars. My last car was a G35 with an automatic. It really isn't that hard on the transmission if you think about it. The tires have lost their grip and you are just applying a light throttle, feathering to keep everything in balance. You can take a professional drifter and give them an old Buick and it will drift. Other than the tires, the suspension takes more abuse that anything.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:09 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Thanks for all the answers. just to let you know that this question was not directed at using a corvette for drifting but just drifting in general.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:32 PM
joegengsta
Racer

1) hi tokyo drifter
2) buy a manual
3) problem with auto is that it will prematurely upshift around the actual bend.. not engaging the powerband... and have issues to 'power over'
4) talk to either paul walker, vin diesel, or johnny tran, they can help you out
Old 10-03-2007, 01:11 PM
LS2-Zomb!e
Safety Car

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
All you need is power to break the rear tires loose in a turn to drift! You actually don't need that much power, you just need to pull the e-brake up You don't need an manual to do it.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:25 PM
jogar80
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by joegengsta
4) talk to either paul walker, vin diesel, or johnny tran, they can help you out
lol....well..........actually, neither paul walker, vin diesel, or johnny tran do any drifting, they are the quarter mile dudes. The drifters are all in "Tokyo Drift"
Old 10-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joegengsta
1) hi tokyo drifter
2) buy a manual
3) problem with auto is that it will prematurely upshift around the actual bend.. not engaging the powerband... and have issues to 'power over'
hah, that's funny.
remember, auto's can manually be put into 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd, and turn off or don't select overdrive (if equipped).

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
Originally Posted by Dashti
Old 12-20-2017, 12:47 PM
PILOTO AMATEUR
1st Gear

Default I do dridting in my c4... and i have no hand brake

Hi, I drift my c4, it is automatic and i use no hand brake or ebrake... I certaily believe it is a very goodncar for drifting... However you need plenty of power to be able to lose the tires... When i first got it it was almos impossible to do it... The l98 didnt have the guts... But with the new 6.0 ls swap and 500rwhp at my dispossal it is quite easy...

People would talk sh..t about drifting but only skilled drivers can understand...

The answer is yes. They drift.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:56 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

I've done it with my A-6, it was part of driver skills training with one of the local porsche clubs, done on a skid pad. It's fun to throttle steer the car in circles, and I could do it with someone else holding the wheel just using the throttle. It wasn't hard on the transmission, but the tires didn't like it much. Once they heated to grease it didn't take much throttle to keep everything in balance.

The bigger issue isn't the transmission - that just couples the engine power to the differential. The bigger issue is what type of differential is used. The positraction (both rear wheels are powered to ground) works better than the limited slip (one rear wheel that alternates between the two). I don't know if you can drift with a limited slip differential.

Last edited by mikeCsix; 12-22-2017 at 04:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Drifting with an automatic?

Quick Reply: Drifting with an automatic?