C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Did you take action?
Yes, I think its the right thing to do!
68.71%
No, I haven't the time for this.
31.29%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Service Active Handling - Consumer Action

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 07:08 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Based on your description and of others, we have a match. You've got the problem. Take it in before it turns your right - right into or off of something you don't want. Take this seriously. JMHO.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:58 PM
autoxnut
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks inthehunt2. Before I take it to a dealer, I am trying to find someone or a reasonably priced tool that will read active handling/traction control codes to see if I can detect any pattern with what I remember happening. Don't want a dealer to just clear the codes without getting a record.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:02 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I have one of the more advanced ACTRON Scanners and it will NOT read the EBTCM DTCs The message was on and it didnt display any codes.

I think you need a TECH II to interface that module.

BC
Old 08-12-2009, 06:11 AM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Will an HP or EFI-Live scanner read the TCM/AHS DTCs?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:05 AM
bterwilliger
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still no issues. Got the receipt and here is what it says:

"Replaced Vehicles Yaw Sensor"
FP Number: 15231656
Description: Sensor 6.522

Looking it up the best I can, it seems to be a steering wheel position sensor, not a yaw sensor. Whatever it was, it seems to have fixed the issue.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:15 PM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

My active handling message came on again twice yesterday. Once backing out of my driveway and another time at random. Both times a re-start cleared the DIC message. This is very irritating. My wife and I are going on a the Vettes in the Midwest 2 event in Joplin MO. I will have an update when I get back since I dont expect the problem to disappear and dont have time to take it to the dealership right now.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:08 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by joeking
My active handling message came on again twice yesterday. Once backing out of my driveway and another time at random. Both times a re-start cleared the DIC message. This is very irritating. My wife and I are going on a the Vettes in the Midwest 2 event in Joplin MO. I will have an update when I get back since I dont expect the problem to disappear and dont have time to take it to the dealership right now.
Do you have a telescopic steering wheel?
Old 08-18-2009, 12:18 PM
supersecretsquirrel
Heel & Toe

Im still looking for the spec sheet for the yaw sensor. I have made a couple of phone calls but no return calls yet.

SSS
Old 08-20-2009, 06:51 PM
jerseymike68
6th Gear

no idea
Old 08-20-2009, 09:14 PM
gizsmo0
Advanced

Default active handling

i have a 05 c6 no telescopic steering,had the yaw sensor replaced do to the same problem descibed here.it feels like the brake on one side or the other locking up.vary scary!,it did fix the problem for a while.i dont know how long because im one of those that dont like driving with help i found out it did it again when it happen to my wife.she drives it vary rarly.ive only had it over ride the tracktion button being off(holding the button down for six seconds) when i started having problems with the tire sensors when it would say the tires were flat and would override the traction control being off.havent taken back in yet because it does look like they found a permanet fix yet i dont want to pay
Old 08-21-2009, 02:01 PM
joeking
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by inthehunt2
Yes, I have the telescoping wheel. The service active handling message comes on at random times and the problem still is not fixed.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:54 PM
JFKLS3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi everyone. I am new on the forum and probably should have read all this before I bought my 08 3LT Convertible. I have had it since July, and have had it in the dealer for "service active handling" message 3 times already and they tell me nothing is wrong. It has 31k miles and this morning when I was going to leave for work I started it and the brake lights were on and would not go off unless I depressed the brake pedal. When I released it the lights came back on and stayed on. I have had it serviced for this once already and they replaced the brake pedal switch which is obviously not the problem. I am taking it back in on Friday morning for this issue but should I get serious with them about the active handling problem? So far it has just been the DIC message 3 times but it sounds like it could be a much bigger problem than that. The car is completely stock, no mods or anything. I, like the rest of you don't want to worry about having the car decide it wants to careen off the road at 70 mph.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:11 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JFKLS3
Hi everyone. I am new on the forum and probably should have read all this before I bought my 08 3LT Convertible. I have had it since July, and have had it in the dealer for "service active handling" message 3 times already and they tell me nothing is wrong. It has 31k miles and this morning when I was going to leave for work I started it and the brake lights were on and would not go off unless I depressed the brake pedal. When I released it the lights came back on and stayed on. I have had it serviced for this once already and they replaced the brake pedal switch which is obviously not the problem. I am taking it back in on Friday morning for this issue but should I get serious with them about the active handling problem? So far it has just been the DIC message 3 times but it sounds like it could be a much bigger problem than that. The car is completely stock, no mods or anything. I, like the rest of you don't want to worry about having the car decide it wants to careen off the road at 70 mph.
If you're getting the "Service Active Handling" message on the DIC, then have the dealer pull the DTC (used to be called a trouble code). The DTC should tell them what to do. Most likely, it will be either the yaw sensor or steering wheel position sensor (or the wiring that involves one of those sensors). One way or the other, take the car in and get it diagnosed! No right turns without driver commands allowed!

Old 08-25-2009, 08:38 PM
JFKLS3
Racer

Yes sir I have the telescoping wheel. I have had it serviced for the brake light issue and the active handling issue and both problems are yet to be solved. They basically said there were no codes with regard to the active handling message and replaced the brake pedal light switch for the brake lights being stuck on but both problems persist. I only have a year left on the warranty, so I really want this stuff resolved before I have to shell out mega $ for repairs on issues that are obviously things that should have been engineered out previously. Worrying about whether my brake lights are on while I'm driving or the fact that the car may decide to brake suddenly are serious concerns. I will definitely be stern Friday morning at the dealership. Thank-you for the help .....
The following users liked this post:
gr86ss (10-12-2020)
Old 08-25-2009, 09:31 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JFKLS3
Yes sir I have the telescoping wheel. I have had it serviced for the brake light issue and the active handling issue and both problems are yet to be solved. They basically said there were no codes with regard to the active handling message and replaced the brake pedal light switch for the brake lights being stuck on but both problems persist. I only have a year left on the warranty, so I really want this stuff resolved before I have to shell out mega $ for repairs on issues that are obviously things that should have been engineered out previously. Worrying about whether my brake lights are on while I'm driving or the fact that the car may decide to brake suddenly are serious concerns. I will definitely be stern Friday morning at the dealership. Thank-you for the help .....
I'm a little bit stymied here. If I understand what you're saying, the brake lights are on without you hitting the brake pedal? If so, it has nothing to do with the AHS. It's a wiring/switch issue somewhere in the vehicle.

If you have the "Service AHS" message on your DIC, then a DTC should have been set.

You may be chasing two issues, or I may have misunderstood. AAR, let me know your thoughts. Looks like you have two potential issues. If the AHS is activating the brakes to "steer" the car, the brake lights will not come on. Thus, I think you've got a separate issue with the brake lights.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:50 AM
JFKLS3
Racer

From everything I see here it is two different issues. They actually replaced the skip shift solenoid and told me that was the cause of the handling message. I do not see how that could be the cause. The brake lights being stuck on is something else, maybe a wiring or bad switch or relay issue. They did replace the switch at the brake pedal but the brake lights come on when they want to and won't go off. That isn't safe either.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:44 PM
joeking
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by joeking
Yes, I have the telescoping wheel. The service active handling message comes on at random times and the problem still is not fixed.
I changed my rear end fluid with Mobil 1 LS lubrincant and the active handling message has not come on since. The problem may or may not be related to my active handling message. I will continue to monitor the situation. I don't drive the car very often therefore it is difficult to pinpoint the problem. I doubt the problem is solved however I will have to wait and see what happens.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active Handling - Consumer Action

Old 08-28-2009, 11:04 AM
JFKLS3
Racer

I took my 08 Convertible in this morning to have my brake light problem looked at (they were stuck on the entire trip to the dealership) and I was only a block away from my house when the "service active handling" popped on again. I believe that this was the 4th time in 2 months. I told the girl at the service desk to have the tech do a thorough scan for all codes and she said she would. I get the feeling that this is going to be an ongoing issue so I will post back later today after (hopefully) I get it back.

BTW, it is an F55 6sp manual.

*update*

OK, the tech told me the code was for skip shift malfunction. He said this is the reason for the "service active handling" message and that it was the only code stored. They replaced the solenoid and he assured me it was fixed. I hope so, but haven't driven it yet because they had to order a brake control module for the brake lights staying on. It will be done Monday afternoon so no Vette this week-end. I will post back next week on whether it's all good.

Last edited by JFKLS3; 08-28-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:41 AM
NVL_AV8R
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering Position Sensor Z06 C6

Hello, I am new to this forum. As of yesterday, I was the PROUD owner my dream car, a BLK 2006 Z06 which I puchased with only 2133 for on ebay for a DEAL thanks to the bad economy. While driving I noticed some wind noise and found the top (was already taken in for recall fix) was coming off on the passangers side front corner. While digging through posts, I came upon this NIGHTMARE thread which scared the hell out of me. I decided to do something about it myself.

A little background...I am a Navy Pilot and in my enlisted days I was an Avionics Technician. I worked on all kinds of micro-min repair on various aircraft. If this was a plane it would be GROUNDED...the whole fleet of them until the problem was/is fixed. This if like flying with a known flight control malfunction...doesn't happen. Since you people scared the **** out of me, (imagining myself driving down the road and then a uncommanded rt turn into cars, pedestrians, or worse yet children) I decided to take it upon myself and see what the said connector looked like, where it rubbed against and what and if anything else could be done to fix the problem (at least with the connector) because obvioulsy GM wants people to die before it is cost effective to recall the whole corvette fleet (think Firestone, the pinto gas tank, etc).

NOTE: Had trouble uploading. To see the pics, go to:
http://photobucket.com/NVL_AV8R

I have taken some pics which show the connector attached, removed, and the dreaded "SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING" (NOTE: This ONLY came on when I disconnected the connector AND stays on when the terminal is reconnected. It ONLY resets after the ignition is and turned off and on again.

Findings:
1. The previous owner had the zip-tie mod service done. This is a BS fix as it only adds pressure to the wires that lead into the connector.
2. The male end still slides (moves) very easily when mated with female connector (no sex jokes intended but there is STILL enough noticable movement between the two halves when the connector is seated properly together.
3. It is only a 4 pin connector! This should give great hope, because if mine ever starts to go, I will cut off both ends in a heartbeat and solder in a S-Video or like connector (electronics is electronics...I'm sure I will get a face shot from the electical engineers but KISS Keep it simple stupid works 98% of the time.)
4. The harness was a tight fit (adds to the problem). I made sure mine was loose enough so that it didn't put any added pressure on the connector. (I like when the seat and wheel reposition themselves every time I get in and out of the car.)

Test:
1. I turned on the ignition (engine off) and ran the **** out of the electronic steering wheel adjustment, trying to get it to fail. In conjunction I moved the steering wheel up and down and watched the connector doing its thing (yes there is some movement) while looking up undernear at the connector.
2. I added Di-electric grease to the connector which you can see in the pic. I carefully wiped off any excess so there can be no short across the terminals.
3. AGAIN Ran the steering column up and down and tried to get it to fail. It did not.

Conclusion:
The connector is a POS. The male and female ends should fit tight and not be so loose. I believe that this is causing an open circuit on varioius vettes WHICH is what happens when you disconnect the terminal all together and you get said "SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING" warning.

The tension of the harness, the ****ty zip tie fix adding pressure (who was the IDIOT that thought up of that fix at GM?), the crappy connector WHICH only uses 4 pins and was ovioiusly surplus used for other connectors is what I believe is causing SOME of the problems people are having. I believe this is the MAIN cause, but if another ****ty connector exisits up or down the harness from this postition, it could cause the same results.

NOTE: Pins could be getting bent or crunched as they are pretty thin. Maybe something to check on vettes that are having so many issues even after dealer fixes.

I hope this helps. If people would like to see, I can photo document the whole proceedure of how to get the panels off and how to get to the Steering Position Sensor. I am going to add the 2nd GM connector fix tomorrow.

I think it is a matter of time before someone is going to get killed because of this problem. I hope that Goverment Motors gets its act together before the Corvette name gets dragged through the mud with the media. God knows how many liberals want us all to be driving Prius (I live in LA and I know they hate my car). Let's figure this thing out before the Rush song "Red Barchetta" becomes a reality.
The following users liked this post:
Scout05 (07-25-2019)
Old 08-31-2009, 05:55 AM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NVL_AV8R
Hello, I am new to this forum. As of yesterday, I was the PROUD owner my dream car, a BLK 2006 Z06 which I puchased with only 2133 for on ebay for a DEAL thanks to the bad economy. While driving I noticed some wind noise and found the top (was already taken in for recall fix) was coming off on the passangers side front corner. While digging through posts, I came upon this NIGHTMARE thread which scared the hell out of me. I decided to do something about it myself.

A little background...I am a Navy Pilot and in my enlisted days I was an Avionics Technician. I worked on all kinds of micro-min repair on various aircraft. If this was a plane it would be GROUNDED...the whole fleet of them until the problem was/is fixed. This if like flying with a known flight control malfunction...doesn't happen. Since you people scared the **** out of me, (imagining myself driving down the road and then a uncommanded rt turn into cars, pedestrians, or worse yet children) I decided to take it upon myself and see what the said connector looked like, where it rubbed against and what and if anything else could be done to fix the problem (at least with the connector) because obvioulsy GM wants people to die before it is cost effective to recall the whole corvette fleet (think Firestone, the pinto gas tank, etc).

NOTE: Had trouble uploading. To see the pics, go to:
http://photobucket.com/NVL_AV8R

I have taken some pics which show the connector attached, removed, and the dreaded "SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING" (NOTE: This ONLY came on when I disconnected the connector AND stays on when the terminal is reconnected. It ONLY resets after the ignition is and turned off and on again.

Findings:
1. The previous owner had the zip-tie mod service done. This is a BS fix as it only adds pressure to the wires that lead into the connector.
2. The male end still slides (moves) very easily when mated with female connector (no sex jokes intended but there is STILL enough noticable movement between the two halves when the connector is seated properly together.
3. It is only a 4 pin connector! This should give great hope, because if mine ever starts to go, I will cut off both ends in a heartbeat and solder in a S-Video or like connector (electronics is electronics...I'm sure I will get a face shot from the electical engineers but KISS Keep it simple stupid works 98% of the time.)
4. The harness was a tight fit (adds to the problem). I made sure mine was loose enough so that it didn't put any added pressure on the connector. (I like when the seat and wheel reposition themselves every time I get in and out of the car.)

Test:
1. I turned on the ignition (engine off) and ran the **** out of the electronic steering wheel adjustment, trying to get it to fail. In conjunction I moved the steering wheel up and down and watched the connector doing its thing (yes there is some movement) while looking up undernear at the connector.
2. I added Di-electric grease to the connector which you can see in the pic. I carefully wiped off any excess so there can be no short across the terminals.
3. AGAIN Ran the steering column up and down and tried to get it to fail. It did not.

Conclusion:
The connector is a POS. The male and female ends should fit tight and not be so loose. I believe that this is causing an open circuit on varioius vettes WHICH is what happens when you disconnect the terminal all together and you get said "SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING" warning.

The tension of the harness, the ****ty zip tie fix adding pressure (who was the IDIOT that thought up of that fix at GM?), the crappy connector WHICH only uses 4 pins and was ovioiusly surplus used for other connectors is what I believe is causing SOME of the problems people are having. I believe this is the MAIN cause, but if another ****ty connector exisits up or down the harness from this postition, it could cause the same results.

NOTE: Pins could be getting bent or crunched as they are pretty thin. Maybe something to check on vettes that are having so many issues even after dealer fixes.

I hope this helps. If people would like to see, I can photo document the whole proceedure of how to get the panels off and how to get to the Steering Position Sensor. I am going to add the 2nd GM connector fix tomorrow.

I think it is a matter of time before someone is going to get killed because of this problem. I hope that Goverment Motors gets its act together before the Corvette name gets dragged through the mud with the media. God knows how many liberals want us all to be driving Prius (I live in LA and I know they hate my car). Let's figure this thing out before the Rush song "Red Barchetta" becomes a reality.
Thank you for your very thorough report! With your background it is VERY nice to have confidence in this kind of information!

Quick Reply: Service Active Handling - Consumer Action