C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropping your C6's drivetrain, Version 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

And the other bright side...

You have provided a very nice how to for everyone else on how to do this job, with jackstands on the driveway. So we are all in your debt.

And you learned two things. 1. check the bleeder first. 2. the little alignment pin is there for a reason.

So I think it's been a worthwhile endeavor!!

Of course, I'm not the one all greasy and sweating staring at his car he took apart for no reason and now has to put it together!
Old 02-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

This is going to help me with the clutch.

As for Burbank, my mom lives there and we have a beach house just north of Carpenteria. The girlfriend and I plan on relaxing there most of the time and enjoying the area. Last time we spent a few days wine tasting but will probably skip that this time and just chill.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:35 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a nice plan. That's pretty much what the GF and I do during the weekends. Light travel, good wine tastings, some dinners, and a whole lot of relaxing.

Welp, I'm just going to soldier on anyway and drop the torque tube. At the very least, I can upgrade my current slave to the new Z06 one that's sitting in my kitchen. Might as well while I'm down here. I think I might put the car on hold for a few days while I ship in a remote bleeder, too. Not gonna go through this again for no reason.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:37 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by SlickShoes
Sounds like a nice plan. That's pretty much what the GF and I do during the weekends. Light travel, good wine tastings, some dinners, and a whole lot of relaxing.

Welp, I'm just going to soldier on anyway and drop the torque tube. At the very least, I can upgrade my current slave to the new Z06 one that's sitting in my kitchen. Might as well while I'm down here. I think I might put the car on hold for a few days while I ship in a remote bleeder, too. Not gonna go through this again for no reason.
Maybe Charlie at RPM Motors has one in stock, for pickup or one day UPS shipment?
Old 02-15-2011, 05:55 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just found a place down here called LAPD (Los Angeles Performance Division) that seems to specialize in LSx cars. I called and the guy was outta the office, but told me he'd ring me back in an hour-ish. He said he's got the bleeder in stock so hopefully I can zip over there today and snag one.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:40 PM
wooden
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is a great write up, I have done it several times. I have found its much qiucker to remove the cradle, diff tranny and tork tube as one piece no need to remove them seperately, just lower the cradle enough to remove the bolts on the tork tube to the bell housing and remove it all together.
The following users liked this post:
C5forFun (11-09-2016)
Old 02-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by wooden
this is a great write up, I have done it several times. I have found its much qiucker to remove the cradle, diff tranny and tork tube as one piece no need to remove them seperately, just lower the cradle enough to remove the bolts on the tork tube to the bell housing and remove it all together.
The c5 had a split bell housing that allowed you to replace the clutch pretty easily, you didn't have to bother with the top two bolts on the bell housing that are a bear to get to.

How are you guys removing the c6 bell housing? Those top bolts look to be a bear......
Old 02-15-2011, 11:10 PM
wooden
Racer

Originally Posted by Joe_G
The c5 had a split bell housing that allowed you to replace the clutch pretty easily, you didn't have to bother with the top two bolts on the bell housing that are a bear to get to.

How are you guys removing the c6 bell housing? Those top bolts look to be a bear......
the top center bolt is the tough one. the first time I used a 1/4 swivel and a short socket and then I cut the bolt alittle shorter so that the next time it was easier to get out. you could pull the intake manifold and it would be easy to get to it then but then you have the extra work of pulling the manifold. I have been able to get it out from the bottom every time it just take alittle patience.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Justasheet
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great post and you gotta love the bulldog!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Justasheet
Great post and you gotta love the bulldog!

I sent a link to os read to my pal Double A Vette who blew his rear end Friday, he's using it tonight to remove his busted rear.

Don't worry Jeff it's a manual and he has a 2 step, got 1.43 60 foots last time out!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:54 PM
0rodney@rpmtransmissions
Former Vendor

The only thing to watch out for at this point is the sensor on top of the differential. My particular car's drivetrain no longer uses that sensor, but yours may. To be completely honest, I forget what it's for. I remember swapping it from my base diff onto the Z06 diff, but then having no harness to plug into it. Basically, if you've got one up there, unplug it. If not, proceed ahead.
You should have a connector to plug into the sensor on the top of the differential. This is the VSS (Vechicle Speed Sensor), without this sensor the speedometer will not work.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:50 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by wooden
what do you do with the shifter linkage?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:30 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

I just finished putting mine back together last night for a bad TT bearing. Wasn't difficult at all. I also replaced the throwout bearing and installed a remote bleed kit while I was in there. The install went much easier that I have heard from others. Lining up the TT shaft into the pilot bearing took a few minutes, but I simply rotated the flywheel with a flat head screw driver to get the splines to line up while applying slight inward pressure to the rear assy and it dropped right in. All that I have left now is center console install and bleed clutch/ brakes.

Now waiting for the headers and ported intake manifold and TB to come back...
Old 02-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Greenstealth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're not going to believe this..................

Just as a little "FYI", when you have clutch fluid all over the ground on the side of the highway, before you spend a day loading the car up on a flatbed little by little, towing it to a your place of wrenching, pulling the rear suspension, differential, transmission, torque tube, and interior out of your car.........

Be sure to check your clutch bleeder screw to ensure it didnt just come loose.

Ugh.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Awesome write-up, THANK YOU very much!
Old 03-15-2011, 01:33 PM
TxPres
Instructor

This is a great writeup. This should help me when I change the clutch out on my 66 roadster. However, I can't seem to find the torque tube.
I have always done the work on my older corvettes and was wondering how hard it would be to work on my new 2011 Z06. With writeups like yours, it looks like I will not have any problem.
Thanks Again!!
Old 03-15-2011, 01:49 PM
eric04
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Dropping your C6's drivetrain, Version 4.0

Old 03-29-2011, 11:00 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

so did you end up pulling it all or did you stop and put it back together?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:23 PM
Ursoboostd
Racer

Looks like I have a small leak on the rearend. So I came back and read this thread and had 1 or 4 Sierra Nevadas -Wade-
Old 04-02-2011, 02:16 PM
SimpleC6
Racer

Great pics and thread. Thanks for sharing!

And I laughed out loud at the "inspection" while laying on your back staring at the undercarriage. I could sleep under there it's so nice and peaceful, I do it all the time as well.

Thanks and be safe!

Quick Reply: Dropping your C6's drivetrain, Version 4.0