C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Stuck in Park Fix??

Old 05-21-2018, 08:47 PM
Sarone
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Automatic Stuck in Park Fix??

So my 07' has always done this. I can just push down that little plastic piece and get it into gear. The problem is it won't go all the way back so I can use the paddle shift (which I love to do since I deleted the exhaust).

What'd the permanent fix to this? A new assembly? Pawl removal? I just want to be able to always use my paddle shift.

TIA.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:53 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

Then it's not struck in park..Right?...Sounds like it will not go into sport mode?
Old 05-22-2018, 11:45 AM
Sarone
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Then it's not struck in park..Right?...Sounds like it will not go into sport mode?
It's 50/50. Sometimes I start it and it comes right out smooth like it should making all options available. The others it was to be "coerced" out and then it won't go all the way back.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:25 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

It is the locking pawl that is only partially released. It happened to my shifter a few times. It was hard getting out of Park, then it would not go lower than drive, then could not easily get the shifter back into Park.
I tied back the locking pawl, and it has never happened again.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:56 PM
Sarone
Advanced

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
It is the locking pawl that is only partially released. It happened to my shifter a few times. It was hard getting out of Park, then it would not go lower than drive, then could not easily get the shifter back into Park.
I tied back the locking pawl, and it has never happened again.
Awesome! How difficult is it? I'm a former Testarossa owner so I'm above average when it comes to mechanical stuff.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:14 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

It's not hard. I just did it a few weeks ago. If you search the forum there are threads with the procedure in detail.
The following users liked this post:
Sarone (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 07:50 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Here is a thread which shows the culprit micro-switch that doesn't energize to disengage the locking pawl.
This thread shows how to test the switch.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-found-7.html

Tying back the pawl is a sure way to not have to worry about the failing or failed micro switch, but it does also allow the shifter to be moved from Park by just pushing in on the pushbutton. The brake does not have to be applied.
Some have done a modified locking pawl tie back, where they have a wire loop going from the pawl to the console, and only use it if the shifter gets stuck.
Here is how to get at the locking pawl, and micro switch.
The following users liked this post:
BillyQ (06-28-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 09:50 AM
Sarone
Advanced

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Here is a thread which shows the culprit micro-switch that doesn't energize to disengage the locking pawl.
This thread shows how to test the switch.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-found-7.html

Tying back the pawl is a sure way to not have to worry about the failing or failed micro switch, but it does also allow the shifter to be moved from Park by just pushing in on the pushbutton. The brake does not have to be applied.
Some have done a modified locking pawl tie back, where they have a wire loop going from the pawl to the console, and only use it if the shifter gets stuck.
Here is how to get at the locking pawl, and micro switch.
You're the Man, thank you so much. This looks easier than my RLSEBRING headlight replacement I'm going to undertake as well!

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic Stuck in Park Fix??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Automatic Stuck in Park Fix??