C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Corvette sputtering and stalling

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 02:19 PM
Mcamaro
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Corvette sputtering and stalling

I have a base model 2005 c6. I replaced the column lock with a bypass set up a couple weeks ago because I was having problems with it. It seemed to work fine but now I'm having trouble with it stumbling and stalling with no real apparent pattern. It'll do it in any weather warm or cold, and shortly after starting out or 20 minutes into my drive. In traffic or not. Sometimes it'll fire right back up and sometimes it takes a few minutes. I thought maybe it] heat related or maybe the fuel pump since it kinda feels like running out of gas. It also does it no matter if the tank is full or not. And NO check engine light. I don't want to start throwing parts at it. Been there before. This kinda thing makes me want to go back to my 69 Chevelle. Any ideas out there.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:30 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Fuel rail has a Schneider valve on the drivers front side under the rail cover that you can put a pressure gauge on to confirm rail pressure (should hold at about 60lbs).
Next , pull the engine fuse cover, and take a look at the fuel pump relay and if it look heat burnt, then swap it out with another relay.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...roblems-2.html

Another problem that can happen is the U clip in side the upper fuse box, or even the connector in the lower box pin can up up pushed down, and cause a less than ideal connection of the fuse block fuel pump relay pin as well.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ump-relay.html

So since your pretty sure it a fuel problem, then need to weed the problem down to either the pump, or the fuel box and relay instead.
IF the pump is loosing pressure, then could be the fuel pump, or just cramp in the tank that is blocking the pump instead.

If the fuel pump goes to zero pressure, then still could be the fuel pump, or could be the relay and fuse box isntead.

As for pulling codes, use a Tech II so you can pull all the codes, to get a full story of the problem. Hence system self checks itself every restart, but if it the system throw a code during last restated cycles that did not happen the current start up, it will save that DTC, even though is may no be a problem this start up instead.

Short of that, could be a problem with the injectors, or their circuits isntead.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...well-blah.html

Last edited by Dano523; 09-23-2018 at 03:31 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:33 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

To add, someone local to you may be able to give you a hand solving the problem quickly, so listing your location in your information comes in really hand.

Short off this then just list your location in a topic responce and may luck out with someone local to you able to give you a hand trouble shooting and solving the problem quickly instead.

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 Corvette sputtering and stalling

Quick Reply: 2005 Corvette sputtering and stalling