C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with a LS7 N/A setup. please step in if you have one

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 07:29 PM
bada
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
No need for aftermarket heads on this car...stock castings with a good CNC program flow exceptionally well. Having said that, ported heads don't really shine without adding an aftermarket cam. Can you CNC them? Sure...but the time and money involved to R&R the heads for CNC on a stock cam LS7 will not net that much of a HP gain. "Worth it" will be entirely up to you though...

As for intake manifolds...a ported MSD will always post up more gains that a ported FAST. Either will make decent gains...but MSD > FAST.

TB change? Nah..not worth the money for your build. A NW 102 TB is worth about 6 hp on a max effort NA LS7 build (meaning 600+ rwhp). You're better off sending your OE TB out to be ported along with whatever intake you choose. The ported OE TB isn't for HP though..strictly throttle response.

As for an air intake...you'd have to go custom fab. Not sure what filter you run, but the "attack blue" is about the only drop in filter that has shown proven gains on the ZR1, and it also fits the OE LS7 air intake.

My recommendation...start with a ported MSD/ported OE TB, and a drop in "attack blue" filter. Those are all pretty easy add-ons, and you can go from there if you're still wanting more. If so...you can always send your heads back to WCCH for their CNC program, but I would recommend looking into at least a mild cam. If its me, I'd go custom mild cam from Cam motion. Something that doesn't put too much stress on the valvetrain.
It already has a Attack Blue filter. And a BTR stage 3 cam and springs.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:31 PM
bada
Racer

Well ****...I did, somehow I glossed the BTR 3.

In that case...ported MSD & NW102 is next step...but you'll need to modify your air intake to fit the 102 TB.

I imagine your WCCH heads are already CNC'd then OP?
Not ported. just the valve guide issue, fixed.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:37 PM
bada
Racer

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
I'm guessing I might catch flack for some of my opinions, but all I can do is share what works REALLY well for my setup. I'm strongly of the opinion that GM did a lot of things properly with the LS7 so why try to improve on what already works.

My best ET was last February when I ran 9.933@136.70 with the car, which is an N/A LS7 and 6L80E transmission as well as several other mods.

Aftermarket heads in my opinion are not needed as I'm running stock heads that had the valve guides replaced, were milled .030 and ported by a local shop meaning that I didn't spend a ton of money on them.

I'm running a stock, unported throttle body that was originally on my LS2. I had a ported throttle body on the car in an earlier build but didn't notice any increased horsepower or throttle response.

I'm running a ported stock LS7 intake manifold as I tried both an unported MSD and a ported FAST 102 and in both cases I may have seen marginal (at best) ET improvements but definitely not worth the cost.

I also tried a Vararam intake in an earlier build as well as a couple of others and again, didn't see enough of an improvements to justify the cost. I'm currently running a stock intake with an Attack Blue filter which is worth the money, as I picked up a full tenth after installing it.

The other list of stock parts includes spark plugs, coils and wires.

Yea I have the Attack filter as well. tried a different CAI, custom made. With largest K&N cone filter they made. Actually slowed me down at the track. However I do draw air off the windshield. The cowl hood scope I made, is functional. In my avatar is a picture of the truck. And you can see the hood.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:42 PM
bada
Racer

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
I definitely agree with the "in theory" part because back when I used to tune other people's cars, more than a few times they had literally just been on the dyno that afternoon and I ended up having to detune them at the track to run faster ETs because while the dyno tune may have shown the most HP/TQ, it didn't translate to the quickest ET.
I agree. I went to the dyno with other engines in the truck. Picked up 25 HP. Then at the track I ran slower. The dyno cannot, take into account. Moving the dead weight, how the air moves around the truck in the 1/4 miles ETC. And my truck is a pig when, it comes to AREO...
Old 01-14-2019, 07:51 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by bada
Not ported. just the valve guide issue, fixed.
Do you do your own wrenching? If you'd be the one to R&R the heads...that's a decent savings right there. Send the heads back to WCCH for CNC port work and .020 - .030 mill (if not already milled), and add the ported MSD. Should be a solid 50 hp gain there, which should also show up on time slips...but as subfloor eluded to, how much of a difference remains to be seen.

Another reason I favor the MSD over the FAST for the LS7 is those stupid injector spacers. I'd never feel good about those...so I'd have to run new (longer body) injectors if I went with a FAST. So that adds to the cost, and makes the better performing MSD look even better.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 01-14-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:04 PM
bada
Racer

Do you do your own wrenching? If you'd be the one to R&R the heads...that's a decent savings right there. Send the heads back to WCCH for CNC port work and .020 - .030 mill (if not already milled), and add the ported MSD. Should be a solid 50 hp gain there, which should also show up on time slips...but as subfloor eluded to, how much of a difference remains to be seen.

Another reason I favor the MSD over the FAST for the LS7 is those stupid injector spacers. I'd never feel good about those...so I'd have to run new (longer body) injectors if I went with a FAST. So that adds to the cost, and makes the better performing MSD look even better.
Yes I do my on wrenching. Along with the fabrication, that my buddy & I do, on the truck. We made the stainless headers, the cowl tray, custom fiberglass hood, motor mounts ETC. I just don't do the tuning. Scott at Intune Motorsports does that. And who do you like for the intake porting.

Last edited by bada; 01-14-2019 at 08:06 PM. Reason: .
Old 01-14-2019, 08:24 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes I do my on wrenching. Along with the fabrication, that my buddy & I do, on the truck. We made the stainless headers, the cowl tray, custom fiberglass hood, motor mounts ETC. I just don't do the tuning. Scott at Intune Motorsports does that. And who do you like for the intake porting.
For me...#1 choice on porting the MSD would be Tony Mamo. Peek Speedshop is another that I would consider.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:08 PM
bada
Racer

For me...#1 choice on porting the MSD would be Tony Mamo. Peek Speedshop is another that I would consider.
Thanks
Old 01-15-2019, 05:19 PM
0Livernois Motorsports
Supporting Tuner

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

LS7 heads who is the best for a N/A setup?I have a LS7, in my 32 ford truck, with a turbo 400. Right now it has a BTR stage III cam, headers, and a tune. The heads were fixed by WCCH. And the spring, and retainers, installed for the cam. Other than that the motor is stock.

I am would like to keep it N/A and 93 pump gas. That is how it is now. I have been reading and doing research, until my head & eyes hurt.

I thought a aftermarket head, intake and throttle body change. Might pick it up, et wise at the track.

But of course everyone says their heads are the best, some say fast, some same MSD for the intakes. I was hoping for some HELP from someone on the site.THAT COULD STEER ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION Who have real world N/A setups. . Before I waste good money, with the wrong combo.
We have been known to do many great LS7 builds and we have a great variety of packages that we have made very impressive power numbers with! We have many different options to help find exactly what suits your wants and needs while gaining huge power! Below i have attached a few videos of some nasty LS& builds we have done over the years that showcase what we can do for you. Shoot me a pm or a call at 313-561-5500 ext 104 my name is cody and i will be glad to help you out!
Old 01-15-2019, 06:31 PM
bada
Racer

Originally Posted by Livernois Motorsports
We have been known to do many great LS7 builds and we have a great variety of packages that we have made very impressive power numbers with! We have many different options to help find exactly what suits your wants and needs while gaining huge power! Below i have attached a few videos of some nasty LS& builds we have done over the years that showcase what we can do for you. Shoot me a pm or a call at 313-561-5500 ext 104 my name is cody and i will be glad to help you out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhVcSbLYQO8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b0OobwzyFE
Is this a SD tune? And bigger injectors?
Old 01-15-2019, 08:35 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

WCCH has a great CNC program, or AI. Those would be my top two choices.

If you can fit a taller intake, which it looks like you can, I would go that route. High rams are cheap, and if they fit make great power assuming you want to keep power up in the 5500-7k range.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:35 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 452 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
WCCH has a great CNC program, or AI. Those would be my top two choices.

If you can fit a taller intake, which it looks like you can, I would go that route. High rams are cheap, and if they fit make great power assuming you want to keep power up in the 5500-7k range.
What he said and I would add Darin Morgan to the list with the Hi Ram....got me 700+ on a SBE NA LS7!
Old 01-15-2019, 11:03 PM
bada
Racer

What aftermarket head would you guys run? If i went that route?
Old 01-16-2019, 03:35 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Consider a Mamo Motorsports MMS 265 head or better yet a complete Mamo Motorsports package

I would be surprised if you have Googled and not come across quite a few of my builds that I have helped my customers with utilizing those heads

There are dozens of real world 3rd party results to pour over if you have the time.....In fact I have dedicated alot of my company's resources over the last few years to the LS7 engine platform as I am personally a huge fan of it.

(We tend to work on and invest time in the things we like right.....)

Here is just a smattering of examples below (links to build threads) of some of my customer's results with various levels of aggressiveness....a little something for everyone based on their goals.

Let the 15 years I spent at AirFlow Research (AFR) heading up their R&D Dept and handling ALL of their cylinder head and intake manifold design (prior to launching Mamo Motorsports in 2014) help you. This is exactly what I specialize in

(I suggest you Google my name if you are unfamiliar with my extensive background in this industry).

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...amo-build.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1596176716

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...91-octane.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ve-a-look.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-included.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...cam-build.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ts-are-in.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3976463-mms-265-h-c-package-with-mamofied-msd-intake-dyno-results.html#post1594580084

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3863370-tony-mamo-heads-cam-ported-msd-install.html

Here are some up close and personal pics of my 265 heads.....the quality and fit and finish of these heads are easily seen in these photos

This is exactly what you can expect to see if you order a set from us.

Feel free to email or PM me after reviewing some of this info and we can discuss the various components I offer and your unique project in more detail.

I will build you exactly what your looking for as mild or aggressive as you would like it

Cheers,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 01-16-2019 at 03:54 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:06 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

No need for aftermarket (different castings). Just get the factory heads worked properly.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:29 AM
0Livernois Motorsports
Supporting Tuner

Is this a SD tune? And bigger injectors?
It is not a speed density tune and the stock injectors would pretty much be maxed out with the way the corvette was set up but not needed yet
Old 01-16-2019, 11:34 AM
0Livernois Motorsports
Supporting Tuner

You do not really need an aftermarket heads for these, we have a really good CNC program and we do all of that work in house with our 5 axis CNC machine!

Get notified of new replies

To Help with a LS7 N/A setup. please step in if you have one

Old 01-16-2019, 11:35 AM
0Livernois Motorsports
Supporting Tuner

As for intake manifolds...a ported MSD will always post up more gains that a ported FAST. Either will make decent gains...but MSD > FAST.
In our experience with cars we have done work on in the shop the MSD actually makes 8-10hp less than the fast intake does
Old 01-16-2019, 12:18 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Livernois Motorsports
In our experience with cars we have done work on in the shop the MSD actually makes 8-10hp less than the fast intake does
That would definitely not be the norm for an LS7. For other LS motors, sure.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:16 PM
0Livernois Motorsports
Supporting Tuner

That would definitely not be the norm for an LS7. For other LS motors, sure.
This is just from what we have seen on the many LS7 builds we have done, We really like the way the fast intake performs all the way through the pull

Quick Reply: Help with a LS7 N/A setup. please step in if you have one