Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orange peel

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 07:11 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

My car has OP but the top surfaces like the hood, roof and hatch are quite smooth. I suspect those surfaces were polished/buffed out before shipment. The sides and lower surfaces show the most OP. My NRB being a dark color exaggerates the effect.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:17 AM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Not bagging on c vetted. Audi ,along with many of my other previous cars all had fine paint jobs. Ordered vetted sight unseen. And hoping for a quality paint job and build. That is what should be expected and provided. Think about this. That the issue of poor paint jobs even has to be considered on a car costing a small fortune.....
Old 08-04-2015, 09:45 AM
TBF
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by tunaman
I was going to ask, but you offered it up... Drive an Audi, but here bagging on C7 paint jobs? Got an axe to grind?

My GS has great paint, and my wife's '14 Stingray also has great paint. Hoping next week's builds are good and that my new C7 will also have great paint.

As previously said, get in the driver's seat and you won't think about orange peel.
TUNAMAN - I agree the drive is great. The 3LT interior is very nice too. However the amount of money spent on a 2015 Z51 deserves better paint. I can live with it,it just sucks that such a great car has an earl schibe paint job.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:13 AM
GB1099
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 90 Posts

Regardless on if you care or not....the fact is GM knows how to properly paint a car with low to no OP. The C7 is a very expensive car....and it should look like one before you get to the drivers seat. There is just no acceptable reason or excuse for it. GM is simply trying to cut corners to save costs or they have really bad quality control. The panels are painted separately by robots and thrown on the car within hours.

They know it's a problem which is why they are retooling the BG plant with a new paint facility.

You should see the difference when the new 2017 C7's hit the market.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:33 AM
catnaround
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

i can't begin to tell you how bad the orange peel on my brand new laguna blue c7' so bad that i think i'm going to have the car repainted, very disapointed,really didn't notice it so much at the dealership but when i got it home and detailed it.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:43 AM
GB1099
Racer

Originally Posted by catnaround
i can't begin to tell you how bad the orange peel on my brand new laguna blue c7' so bad that i think i'm going to have the car repainted, very disapointed,really didn't notice it so much at the dealership but when i got it home and detailed it.
Sorry to hear this however there are lower cost options that might work OK for you. Having a professional wet sand the car, then hit it with a clay bar and maybe shoot some type of clear coat might help a lot.

You should search around this forum...I know a few have done it and there should be before/after pics.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:49 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by catnaround
Too bad you just did not refuse delivery of the car. If more people did this GM would be more critical about what they let leave the factory. The fact that refusing delivery rarely happens speaks volumes about why the paint problem continues.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:59 AM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

I was watching How Its Made Stingray last night .. and the OP on the red panels they were working on after the paint booth was very obvious. And why were there so many defects being polished out straight out of the booth?
Old 08-04-2015, 11:11 AM
BarneyZ
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

The orange peel on my 2014 coup wasn't too bad. I could live with it. My 2015 was ridiculous. So bad I had the car color sanded. That did the trick:

Seems to be a hit-or-miss problem.

Last edited by BarneyZ; 08-04-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:08 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Gm are you listening !!!!
My c7 is scheduled to be built next week !!!

I want to thank everyone who responded to my thread ...looks like we have a
concern that should or could lead to reimbursement by gm ..if and when formal complaints are filed ...or worse...
Old 08-04-2015, 10:30 PM
Munchen100
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bbcb
not many cars without orange peel ...beg to differ with that ... true ..most paint jobs are not perfect .... but... not many cars cost the amount a vette does...The vette is a specialty car ....GM knows ..that Most vette buyers are particular and want things right ...

If theviousf the obvious { the paint } has flaws ...what can be expected regarding the parts of the car that are not visable ....mmmm

According to the recent 2015 J D Power Survey, apparently, not much. While J.D. Power gave the Corvette C7 a performance award (5 out of 5), it only gave it a two (2) for Overall Quality.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:27 AM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
I personally think it's worse.I have been working an event all summer and have been in probably 100 dealerships and I always walk the lot , and many of those dealerships are Mercedes Benz , BMW Jaguar , etc. yeah it's there on other cars , but not to this degree…I've never seen anything like this on a competitor:

I certainly agree that the pictures of this C7 are awful. I don't agree that orange peel is not as bad on other brands or 'high-end' cars. The following pictures are from cars I've rented in the past 3 weeks. The first is a Mercedes E-class. The second 2 pictures are from a Jaguar XJL. Both new, very low mileage cars - and I suppose they would be considered 'high-end' cars. And I didn't have to hunt - just looked at the panels on my rental cars and took the pictures because I knew this subject would come up again. The rental I have this week is a new Impala and I couldn't find a panel that was poor - certainly nothing that would show up in a picture. Have I seen poor paint jobs on C7s? A few (mine is actually very acceptable), and the pictures of this C7 (I've seen the same pics in a few threads) are unacceptable. But we need to accept the fact that there are many factors that lead to poor paint jobs, and occasionally one will come out that looks like the C7 in this example (and this one should never have made it out of BG quality control) - and these factors lead to poor paint jobs on occasion on virtually all brands. Those who indicate that "I have a _______ and the paint is perfect" should consider themselves very lucky for the most part because you can find others of the same brand/model that did not turn out that well - unless it's a really high-end car where every vehicle undergoes color-sanding and polishing. BG will get better and better - partly because of feedback from customers/owners like us.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ange-peel.html
Attached Images    

Last edited by Hopper12; 08-05-2015 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:26 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Gm are you listening !!!!
My c7 is scheduled to be built next week !!!

I want to thank everyone who responded to my thread ...looks like we have a concern that should or could lead to reimbursement by gm ..if and when formal complaints are filed ...or worse...
Good luck with that. With over 50,000 C7s sold I don't think its goining to happen.

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 08-05-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:50 AM
GB1099
Racer

I'm not a paint expert by any means, but my question is:

Is that OP effect in the paint itself or in the clear coat over the paint?

I would think that if it's just in the clearcoat and that coating is thick enough, then wet sanding/buffing should get rid of it all?
Old 08-05-2015, 10:56 AM
Black&White
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 96 Posts

I have to say the paint on my 2015 is pretty good. Not perfect by any means but acceptable. Here is a photo of my deck lid and its very smooth. Thats the reflection of the garage door opner in the trunk lid. The rest of the car is pretty much the same. What I don't understand is why on earth anyone would accept and write a check for any of the junk pictured in post #52?
Attached Images  

Last edited by Black&White; 08-05-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:10 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

All the rear deck lid's and horizontal surfaces are usually pretty good, shoot your front fender with a picture that shows reflection and you'll see where the Op is.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:13 AM
Black&White
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
All the rear deck lid's and horizontal surfaces are usually pretty good, shoot your front fender with a picture that shows reflection and you'll see where the Op is.
The rest of my car is the same as the deck lid, maybe I just got lucky. So here are my front and rear fenders. You see bad orange peel? I don't. I would NEVER have accepted the car if it looked like some of the above paint jobs. Car was built November 21st 2014. More puzzling to me is WHY would anyone accept and write a check for that junk in post # 52? If it comes in looking like that make GM order you another one. Why would you buy that?
Attached Images   

Last edited by Black&White; 08-05-2015 at 11:50 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Orange peel

Old 08-05-2015, 12:07 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Very strange occurrence at last weeks Bill Kay Corvette show. Out of over a hundred Corvettes, this 2 week old shark gray that was loaded with peel won best paint award.
Oh, I forgot, the dealer did the judging.
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2015, 12:51 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

issue is some folks do not know any better ... and thats fine ...but when they show their car to someone that knows a good from bad paint job..then the OP is ponted out the owner gets upset ..may sound crazy ...but it should be considered to take along a knowledgeable person along for the delivery of your no vette ..
OP or not can be discussed for ever ..yes ..no ..or maybe ..
But the fact of the matter is ... GM aint building a new paint facility just because they want to spend money ..down the road Vettes will have great paint jobs...until then roll the dice ..
Old 08-05-2015, 01:03 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

issue is some folks do not know any better ... and thats fine ...but when they show their car to someone that knows a good from bad paint job..then the OP is ponted out the owner gets upset ..may sound crazy ...but it should be considered to take along a knowledgeable person along for the delivery of your no vette ..
OP or not can be discussed for ever ..yes ..no ..or maybe ..
But the fact of the matter is ... GM aint building a new paint facility just because they want to spend money ..down the road Vettes will have great paint jobs...until then roll the dice ..

Quick Reply: Orange peel