Cheap front camera

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 02:17 PM
C6 MoneyPit
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10, '15. '22-'23

Default I Like This Setup Better...

OK update for anyone interested - I sent back that Trio "mini tablet" as it was just too laggy to use for parking. For $25 it was worth the gamble but didn't work out, so it got returned.

However.....I DID find a much better solution that I DO like for a bit more money. I bought a new Blu Studio X8 HD smartphone, with no SIM card, for $50 on Amazon. It has a 5" display and a 1.4 ghz processor w 4GB of internal memory - and it works quite well as a monitor for this cheap camera setup. Because it is about the maximum size that can fit in the cubby, I paired it with a 1ft long 90 degree micro USB cable.

I think I am finally done with this mod and I am happy with the results!

Old 05-07-2017, 02:53 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 161 Posts

I used a $19 Android burner phone and never activated it.
My only disappointment is that it takes to long to boot up.

As as I get a new iPhone, I'll switch to my 6S
Old 05-07-2017, 05:00 PM
C6 MoneyPit
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10, '15. '22-'23

Originally Posted by Bob Beroza
I used a $19 Android burner phone and never activated it.
My only disappointment is that it takes to long to boot up.

As as I get a new iPhone, I'll switch to my 6S
Same here, they are worth next to nothing as a buy back.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:45 PM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

I have been following this thread since day 1 and was weighing all the options. My decision was to just dig a little deeper into my pocket and splurge on Navtool, $36 for 3 Pyle cameras and installed myself. Not hard at all, side cameras are mounted in the front portion of my 2 side windows. Now when I use my blinkers I have that extra eagle eye looking out towards the rear sides. Just my thoughts and opinion and decision.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:45 AM
cberistain
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Am I correct in that the 12V dc connection from the wifi unit is Red for hot and Black for ground?
Old 05-14-2017, 10:09 AM
cberistain
Instructor

Originally Posted by cberistain
Am I correct in that the 12V dc connection from the wifi unit is Red for hot and Black for ground?
I should have re-read the previous posts ... found all the answers to my questions ... now just waiting for the micro tap fuse holder to arrive.
I have a Z51 so I will have to play around with where to put the wifi unit. I see one poster routed it inside the car ... I may try that if I can't find a good place to tuck it in the engine compartment.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:07 PM
cberistain
Instructor

Originally Posted by fredl11
Put it to the test morning.
Worked great

I also ran mine differently. I put the transmitter inside under the glove compartment

I ran the wires from camera along passanger side underneath fender

Then under rubber and taped over

Removed moulding and ran wires underneath and and behind portion of moulding under the glove compartment

The heat of engine compartment had me concerned
I have a Z51 as well and would like to run the wifi unit inside the cockpit like you did ... but I can't quite figure out how you did it from the photos .. I don't see any holes/openings to fish the wires through from the engine compartment to the cockpit ... any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:44 PM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 147 Posts

I have a Z51 as well and would like to run the wifi unit inside the cockpit like you did ... but I can't quite figure out how you did it from the photos .. I don't see any holes/openings to fish the wires through from the engine compartment to the cockpit ... any help would be appreciated.
Just go under hood to rear of front fender.. then under vertical door seal trim.
The following users liked this post:
cberistain (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 03:50 PM
cberistain
Instructor

Originally Posted by agapsdiver
Just go under hood to rear of front fender.. then under vertical door seal trim.
got the wifi installed in side under the glove box ... working now on mounting the camera ... I'm using the rectangular eskay unit and it doesn't fit inside the grill ... I saw someone found a way to mount it and I'll be trying that shortly.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:27 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

got the wifi installed in side under the glove box ... working now on mounting the camera ... I'm using the rectangular eskay unit and it doesn't fit inside the grill ... I saw someone found a way to mount it and I'll be trying that shortly.
I mount mine using High Perforce Double Stick Tape (the gray stuff.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:03 PM
cberistain
Instructor

I mount mine using High Perforce Double Stick Tape (the gray stuff.

is the mounting plate taped to the top of the grill or the surface above the grill ..
Old 05-15-2017, 09:19 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

is the mounting plate taped to the top of the grill or the surface above the grill ..
Mounted to the flat spot on the top of grill
Old 05-15-2017, 09:37 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,125 Likes on 562 Posts

I mounted my camera in the license plate frame. The camera was from NavTool and has no bracket.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:46 AM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
The camera was from NavTool and has no bracket.

Now that's convenient ......
Old 05-16-2017, 08:23 PM
cberistain
Instructor

Mounted to the flat spot on the top of grill
finally got ours installed.. worked first time we turned it on . .. which is good news for us .. but the image is upside down,.. hope there is an adjustment for this .. as removing the camera and flipping it upside down will not be easy.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:46 PM
cberistain
Instructor

should there be a cover on the button?

I'm having a problem with the "button" can only turn the grid lines off and on .. can't do the rotation, spacing of grids, etc .. any suggestions?
Old 05-17-2017, 05:52 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

I'm having a problem with the "button" can only turn the grid lines off and on .. can't do the rotation, spacing of grids, etc .. any suggestions?
You should have gotten the a set of instructions with the camera. By pressing the button multiple times you can change the camera functions. Here's a copy of the instructions that came with my camera. I hope this helps you.

Esky Car Camera Instructions - One Button Control for Front/Rear Camera Switch

Last edited by Bob Beroza; 05-17-2017 at 05:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Cheap front camera

Old 05-17-2017, 06:33 PM
cberistain
Instructor

[QUOTE=Bob Beroza;1594759808]You should have gotten the a set of instructions with the camera. By pressing the button multiple times you can change the camera functions. Here's a copy of the instructions that came with my camera. I hope this helps you.

I have the manual ... pressing the button twice should bring up the picture rotation feature ... doesn't work .. none of the others . press 3 times, press 4 times, etc work ... I tried pressing slowly, quickly and in between .... nothing seems to work except adding/removing the grid lines.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:31 PM
cberistain
Instructor

Hope someone can help me with the eskay camera .. picture works perfectly ... but I can't seem to access the software that allows reversing the picture or adjusting the grid lines ... I have the little booklet that tells how to do it .. I thought it must be a defective camera so I got a new one and it does the same thing .. hard to believe that I could get two bad camera in a row, expecially when I didn't see anyone else talk about issues with the camera,

so .. is there anything special about the way the button is pushed to get to the adjustment screens? ... when you set yours up,.. did you have any problems getting the adjustment screens to appear on the iphone?

thanks
charlie
Old 05-21-2017, 08:55 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Hope someone can help me with the eskay camera .. picture works perfectly ... but I can't seem to access the software that allows reversing the picture or adjusting the grid lines ... I have the little booklet that tells how to do it .. I thought it must be a defective camera so I got a new one and it does the same thing .. hard to believe that I could get two bad camera in a row, expecially when I didn't see anyone else talk about issues with the camera,

so .. is there anything special about the way the button is pushed to get to the adjustment screens? ... when you set yours up,.. did you have any problems getting the adjustment screens to appear on the iphone?

thanks
charlie
I had no problem at all. Without sounding stupid are you sure your pressing the button hard enough? I know it was kind of strange to get the right rhythm in press the button multiple times.

Quick Reply: Cheap front camera