Sponsored by:

Cheap front camera

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 09:49 AM
red 1
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Beroza
The question is...will it work with the other camera's WiFi box? If it does it would be great. Although for me I don't know that a reverse image is so bad. After all a curb is the same on the left as it is on the right.

I'm going to hold up on my install until l here back from you. Between all of us We Will do what Chevrolet should have from the beginning.
All of the cameras are universal
Old 06-08-2016, 10:32 AM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by zbrett
Due to the potential issues with this sealed camera (I don't mind the guidelines but I do not want the view reversed), I ordered a different one from Amazon. You can make all the adjustments outside the camera with by clicking one button.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I should have it tomorrow. Even with the cost for the additional camera, it is still a great deal compared to the other bundles out there.
Looking forward to seeing your review of the install of the new camera!
Old 06-08-2016, 06:36 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Here are a couple quick pics. The connectors for video and power are exactly the same. <br > <br > <br >
The following 2 users liked this post by zbrett:
Art17 (06-17-2018), nmvettec7 (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 06:45 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

It also has some additional "programming" capabilities that I don't believe are in the Amazon product description:

The following users liked this post:
Art17 (06-17-2018)
Old 06-08-2016, 07:20 PM
red 1
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Here are a couple quick pics. The connectors for video and power are exactly the same. <br > <br > <br >
Have you tried pressing the back side of the cable junction on the original camera, the side with an H on it and see if it changes anything, I would try the one I just got in but the wires broke when I disassembled it.
Art17 (06-17-2018)
Old 06-08-2016, 09:25 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 161 Posts

Okay ZBrett, i'm in.

This looks like a much better camera and it certainly has more function and REAL instructions on how to make adjustment. Since Red1 says that all cameras are universal there should be no problem with using the WiFi Box from the first camera.

ZBrett...I found the wires from the "Round" Camera to to be pretty short (23"). This limits where we can put WiFi Box. Are the wire longer on the "Square" Camera?

I ordered it. It supposed to be here on Friday...thanks to Amazon Prime.

Let us know if you get your hooked up over the weekend.
Remember the fate of all Corvette Noses rides on what we're do here...No Pressure!

Last edited by Bob Beroza; 06-08-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:04 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Okay ZBrett, i'm in.

This looks like a much better camera and it certainly has more function and REAL instructions on how to make adjustment. Since Red1 says that all cameras are universal there should be no problem with using the WiFi Box from the first camera.

ZBrett...I found the wires from the "Round" Camera to to be pretty short (23"). This limits where we can put WiFi Box. Are the wire longer on the "Square" Camera?

I ordered it. It supposed to be here on Friday...thanks to Amazon Prime.

Let us know if you get your hooked up over the weekend.
Remember the fate of all Corvette Noses rides on what we're do here...No Pressure!
The cables on both cameras are about the same length, but the E-Sky camera comes with a super long video extension cable and longer power leads. There should be enough there to get the job done.

No pressure. Ha.

Last edited by zbrett; 06-08-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:15 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

The cables on both cameras are about the same length, but the E-Sky camera comes with a super long video extension cable and longer power leads. There should be enough there to get the job done.

No pressure. Ha.
Don't we have to use the Red Connector Wire to the wifi box?
Old 06-08-2016, 11:39 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Don't we have to use the Red Connector Wire to the wifi box?
Yes, and no. I'm pretty sure you could hook up the camera and wi-fi box to separate 12v sources. Might be handy if you want to put the wi-if unit in the cabin. The video extension cable that comes withe the E-Sky camera is certainly long enough.

If you need more wire for the power leads, get some shrink wrap tubing (electrical tape is so ghetto ), a solder gun, solder, the appropriate gauge of extra wire and poke around on YouTube to see how to do some proper soldering and how to use shrink wrap tubing. Pretty easy but it does take some practice.

Last edited by zbrett; 06-08-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:47 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by red 1
Have you tried pressing the back side of the cable junction on the original camera, the side with an H on it and see if it changes anything, I would try the one I just got in but the wires broke when I disassembled it.
I will try that when I have time and report back. Thanks
Old 06-09-2016, 01:10 AM
Wilkmanracing
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there a factory plug-in solution that would not require routing all the wiring that comes with the aftermarket solutions? If the LT-2 has this feature built in, I'm wondering if there is an existing harness with a plug for a factory camera.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:57 PM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

Default I wonder

If the above mated with
Amazon.com: BW 3.5 Inch TFT LCD Monitor for Car / Automobile: Car Electronics Amazon.com: BW 3.5 Inch TFT LCD Monitor for Car / Automobile: Car Electronics
would mount is the cubby hole behind the screen?

Old 06-09-2016, 02:54 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fredl11
If the above mated with Amazon.com: BW 3.5 Inch TFT LCD Monitor for Car / Automobile: Car Electronics would mount is the cubby hole behind the screen?

That would be a nice setup. I looked at it on Amazon and I don't see and leads for power to the monitor?

Last edited by Bob Beroza; 06-09-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Art17 (06-17-2018)
Old 06-09-2016, 06:15 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

That would be a nice setup. I looked at it on Amazon and I don't see and leads for power to the monitor?
Power should be the red lead. Same type of connector that powers the camera. The power lead from the camera would not plug into this unit. You would need two 12V sources (one for camera, one for monitor)

Not sure what the white lead is for. Maybe for a reverse function?
Old 06-09-2016, 06:23 PM
fredl11
Safety Car

Default ok maybe this?

Found on another site. Now how do we turn it off until needed? I just want it to save the nose chin on the Stingray from curb damage.

Last edited by fredl11; 06-09-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:23 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

So I got out my gazillion year old Radio Shack Micronta 12V power supply and powered up the wifi unit and cameras. First the camera that came with the wifi unit. The camera I got has gridlines. I pressed on the junction on the camera and it does nothing. I'm not so sure the image can be reversed on this camera.

Next the E-Sky. Does everything it says in the One Button Control instructions I posted earlier. Two sets of gridlines that are totally adjustable. Or you can turn them off. Picture reverses, etc. Everything works.

One last observation. The picture quality on both cameras is pretty much the same. No advantage to either one. I wouldn't be surprised if they both used the same image sensor.
red 1 (06-10-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 06:25 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fredl11
Found on another site

Yeah, that would work if you don't mind running the wires into the cabin and messing around behind the dashboard. I already took my dash out once. I don't want to do it again.
Art17 (06-17-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Cheap front camera

Old 06-11-2016, 02:36 PM
YellowC7
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered one of these. Hooked it up to power and it works fine, but I can't figure out where to route the wires from the grill back into the engine bay. Someone said there was a square hole they ran them through, but I can't find that. Anyone have a pic of where the wires go?

Forget it. I found it by shining a light through the grill.

The comments above about the wires being short are for sure. I honestly don't have an extra 1/2 inch of power cable between the WiFi box and the camera. Trying to get it all connected I ended up yanking the power plugs apart twice. To get them connected, I had to drop the camera behind the grill and pull the wires into the engine bay, then pull the camera back through the grill. I have a Z06 grill with big openings. With the regular grill I don't think I could have done it.

In the process of yanking on the wires multiple times, I think I shifted the camera inside the housing, because the image is now skewed when the camera is pointed straight ahead. It sill serves the purpose, but looks bad on the phone's screen.

Another issues: If the app is running when WiFi is disonnected, it freezes and has to be killed and restarted. Just reconnecting WiFi doesn't work. So you can't just leave it running. After you park your car you have to go in and kill the app, then restart it before you want to park. Sort of a pain.

And it's on whenever the car is. It won't use much power, so maybe it doesn't matter, but I don't know if it's good for the camera to be on all the time.

If I decide the software is OK, I may order the square camera above with the longer cables so I can mount the box better and reverse the image, and wire in a remote relay so I can shut if off when I'm not parking. Suddenly it's not so cheap.

Last edited by YellowC7; 06-11-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:39 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by YellowC7
I ordered one of these. Hooked it up to power and it works fine, but I can't figure out where to route the wires from the grill back into the engine bay. Someone said there was a square hole they ran them through, but I can't find that. Anyone have a pic of where the wires go?

Forget it. I found it by shining a light through the grill.

The comments above about the wires being short are for sure. I honestly don't have an extra 1/2 inch of power cable between the WiFi box and the camera. Trying to get it all connected I ended up yanking the power plugs apart twice. To get them connected, I had to drop the camera behind the grill and pull the wires into the engine bay, then pull the camera back through the grill. I have a Z06 grill with big openings. With the regular grill I don't think I could have done it.

In the process of yanking on the wires multiple times, I think I shifted the camera inside the housing, because the image is now skewed when the camera is pointed straight ahead. It sill serves the purpose, but looks bad on the phone's screen.

Another issues: If the app is running when WiFi is disonnected, it freezes and has to be killed and restarted. Just reconnecting WiFi doesn't work. So you can't just leave it running. After you park your car you have to go in and kill the app, then restart it before you want to park. Sort of a pain.

And it's on whenever the car is. It won't use much power, so maybe it doesn't matter, but I don't know if it's good for the camera to be on all the time.

If I decide the software is OK, I may order the square camera above with the longer cables so I can mount the box better and reverse the image, and wire in a remote relay so I can shut if off when I'm not parking. Suddenly it's not so cheap.
You need this, or something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is the shortest one I've been able to find. It is long enough that I may move the wi-fi unit into the cabin. I was going to do it today, but it is godawful hot outside. So tomorrow....
Old 06-12-2016, 01:40 PM
fredl11
Safety Car

Default Ok I placed an order

got the Esky obey butting and an WIFI Transmitter, Thinkels-Tech, 2.4Ghz wireless WIFI Camera Transmitter video receiver for Car Reverse Bakup rear view reversing CCTV Camera , Support iPhone IOS/ Android system phones

Quick Reply: Cheap front camera