C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

BMS Intake Filter Performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 02:57 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
I have put down 1.53 60' times on the stock MPSS tires running the newer -1 AFE with the gray filter installed (tuff act to follow). I now have the BMS filter to try in my OEM CAI, hopefully it stacks up well against the AFE CAI.

Interesting I have an A8 2015 Z06 with ~16,000 miles.
Originally Posted by sTz
^^^ Look forward to your review...
Sorry, I forgot about this thread. The link to the review is below:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...teresting.html

Starting at post#9 I got around to opening up the OEM Air Filter Box.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ench-test.html

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 05-24-2018 at 03:15 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:30 AM
Bee1LE
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Stock 15 M7 Z06 BMS Filter Swap

Got the BMS filter put in last night. Let me just start by saying changing the filter in the Z was a little more involved than I anticipated. Nothing difficult, and maybe I just did it *** backwards but anyway an anticipated 3 minute swap turned into probably 20 minutes or so.

So new filter goes in press the button to fire up the beast and *boom* first thing I'm greeted with is the "Engine Power Reduced" warning message. Uh oh... Then when giving it some throttle in neutral the RPM's were extremely slow to climb... I'm starting to wonder what a screwed up. Go back and check to see if I loosened a hose or connection somewhere in the process but everything seems in order.

Fire it back up and message is gone. Ok, let's go for a road test. Throughout the first 15 minutes or so I would experience intermittent problems with very slow RPM gain when free reving in neutral and a couple of times when accelerating under load but this time without the accompanying "Reduced Power" message. The longer I drove it the better things got however.

Drove it to work this morning and have to say I'm pretty impressed with the filter and the ending results. Seems like throttle response is better throughout the RPM range and while it's difficult to judge a 20-30 HP gain in a 650 HP car I'd have to say she certainly feels more aggressive... especially above 3000 RPMS. Seems to have helped a tad with off idle throttle lag that I had as well.

Summary : Gave this a shot before forking out 400 - 600 on a new intake and certainly glad I did. No way I'd purchase a new intake now. Great product BMS!

Next up a ported throttle body from Tony Mamo to see if I can get rid of just a little more of the off idle lag.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:47 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee1LE
Got the BMS filter put in last night. Let me just start by saying changing the filter in the Z was a little more involved than I anticipated. Nothing difficult, and maybe I just did it *** backwards but anyway an anticipated 3 minute swap turned into probably 20 minutes or so.

So new filter goes in press the button to fire up the beast and *boom* first thing I'm greeted with is the "Engine Power Reduced" warning message. Uh oh... Then when giving it some throttle in neutral the RPM's were extremely slow to climb... I'm starting to wonder what a screwed up. Go back and check to see if I loosened a hose or connection somewhere in the process but everything seems in order.

Fire it back up and message is gone. Ok, let's go for a road test. Throughout the first 15 minutes or so I would experience intermittent problems with very slow RPM gain when free reving in neutral and a couple of times when accelerating under load but this time without the accompanying "Reduced Power" message. The longer I drove it the better things got however.

Drove it to work this morning and have to say I'm pretty impressed with the filter and the ending results. Seems like throttle response is better throughout the RPM range and while it's difficult to judge a 20-30 HP gain in a 650 HP car I'd have to say she certainly feels more aggressive... especially above 3000 RPMS. Seems to have helped a tad with off idle throttle lag that I had as well.

Summary : Gave this a shot before forking out 400 - 600 on a new intake and certainly glad I did. No way I'd purchase a new intake now. Great product BMS!

Next up a ported throttle body from Tony Mamo to see if I can get rid of just a little more of the off idle lag.
i just instAlled the bms filter as well I ended up disconnecting and removing everything up to the throttle body including the electrical connector . It was a good 20 minute job taking my time . I did find once the filter was in place it was a tight fit getting the 2 tabs on the cover inserted into the slots below. If I didn’t have it completely apart And working with that part of the intake by itself I couldn’t have got the tabs in the slots.
Maybe you didn’t get those tabs in the slots and it was sucking air and that caused the code and reduced power message until the ecm compensates for the change.
Once that was done it was pretty simple. Drove about 100 miles since then and no codes. Throttle tip in cold or warmed up is excellent. Especially tip in when cold I think there is an improvement here. Didn’t have much of a complaint when car was warmed up on tip in.

Can’t really tell much difference on seat of the pants performance.

100 bucks is steep for a filter , but it seems it’s all the rage here so I figured why not try it. And bms is doing a lot for the forum and the quality and timeliness of getting product was outstanding. Good investment to support bms!

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 05-26-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:19 PM
jloZ06
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Installed mine today, searched youtube for install video prior to tackling, glad i did. as others have said its a bit of work to install and put back together but still simple enough for most to do.
Have not drove with it yet, but i dont expect to feel anything, 90 bucks for 20/30 hp is a great bang for the buck.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:15 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by jloZ06
Installed mine today, searched youtube for install video prior to tackling, glad i did. as others have said its a bit of work to install and put back together but still simple enough for most to do.
Have not drove with it yet, but i dont expect to feel anything, 90 bucks for 20/30 hp is a great bang for the buck.
I didn't expect much either but was pleasantly surprised
The following users liked this post:
jloZ06 (05-27-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 08:33 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

Any additional 2017 owners out there running the BMS?

I've read every thread and I'm just looking for any 2017 owners that haven't posted their experience positive or negative. Specifically interested in un-tuned applications.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:45 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch-Red-Z06

I've read every thread and I'm just looking for any 2017 owners that haven't posted their experience positive or negative. Specifically interested in un-tuned applications.
put one in my untuned c7z06. I like it.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:51 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
put one in my untuned c7z06. I like it.
2017? Any mods like PTB or x-pipe? - thanks

Last edited by SnowyATX; 06-04-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:01 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

One in my 17 Z06 unturned. I like it.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:01 PM
Clspht
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

17 M7....Borla X, Mamo TB and BMS...Runs great...No issues except traction!
Old 06-05-2018, 01:31 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee1LE

I took mine to an auto shop and had the same issues. They had to disassemble the intake to get it to fit. Then I got the code and drove it and had reduced engine power. They put it on the computer and got rid of the code then it ran great. They didn't want any money for what they thought would be a 10 minute job (ended up over an hour) but I gave both of them $20. It's a PITA to install but worth it.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:35 PM
EaglEye92
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a BMS filter and DIY PTB on my 2017 M7 and the car didn't like the combination very much on the stock tune -- immediately threw a couple MAP codes and went into limp mode. The tune could handle either the filter or the PTB, but not both at the same time.
So, I brought the car to the dealer hoping the particular MAP fault codes being thrown would be "close enough" to get the P0106 fix applied, and thankfully in my case it was. All's been well since then.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:51 PM
fusionx86
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I installed the BMS two weeks ago in my 2017 Z06 A8 which is otherwise completely stock. No codes or performance issues with it. I even drove out of town a ways and ran it up to 160mph since some people reported issues up at higher speeds. It has been solid so far. I do live at ~4500' altitude though and I wonder if those with issues are lower and thus get a lot more air.

I feel like the BMS was a good purchase.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:40 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Dropped one in tonight. So good so far. We'll see how it goes after getting more miles on her.

Last edited by SnowyATX; 06-06-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:52 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

2017? Any mods like PTB or x-pipe? - thanks
Mamo PTB...X Pipe and BMS...For just under a year now...2017 M7 Z06...no issues (codes etc with the BMS)..love these mods..

Last edited by Nyvetteguy007; 06-07-2018 at 06:55 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:50 AM
shopteacher
Instructor

Pro Mechanic

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I put one in my 16 Z A8 when I took it out of storage in April. Over 5700 miles since installation with no operational problems. I have an insensitive seat of the pants but $100 must have delivered tremendous performance improvement.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:38 PM
BDASSZO6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyvetteguy007
As this is a dry filter, what's the maintenance procedure, does it need to be replaced much like the stock filter when dirty?
my question exactly. I just ordered one. Are they reusable? How often should I change??

Get notified of new replies

To BMS Intake Filter Performance

Old 06-07-2018, 01:59 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BDASSZO6
my question exactly. I just ordered one. Are they reusable? How often should I change??
It has been stated that they are not reusable.

I asked Terry about change intervals for "normal" city/highway driving. He responded "Around 25-30k". Use this info at your own risk as he'll need to respond to this question for it to be official.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:33 PM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Just put in my order. What is the factory change interval for air filter?
Old 06-29-2018, 12:26 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
Just put in my order. What is the factory change interval for air filter?
It's similar to stock in that regard, 25-30k miles. You can also clean it off with a vacuum or air compressor to extend the life a bit if you need.

Quick Reply: BMS Intake Filter Performance