C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

MGW Short throw shifter

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 06:46 PM
BDASSZO6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default MGW Short throw shifter

Opinions on this shifter?
Old 12-23-2018, 06:48 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by BDASSZO6
Opinions on this shifter?
try using search. There have been similar threads in the past 6 months.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:58 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

The best. Get it.

They do 10% off every once in a while (memorial day, 4th of july, etc) but most of the time it just sells for retail.

Seriously though, they are very high quality. Had it in my C6 Z06 and now my C7 Z06. Shifts 10x better than stock.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:23 PM
MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 126 Posts

I had a Hinson motorsports short throw shifter in my Z06 & now I have a MGW shifter in my ZR1. The Hinson has much shorter throw but is tight. Awesome shifter. The MGW has a lil shorter throws than stock. Love the "race ****" but you can't attached the oem shifter boot to the shifter ****. They need to machine a grove in the **** for the shift boot collar to attach to the ****. Comparing a new oem shifter box to the MGW shifter box, I couldn't tell any difference. Not to say the MGW aftermarket bushings won't have a long life then the oem bushings. There's a vendor on here that rebuilds your oem lower shifter box with the better bushings. He also is machining his own shifter as well. I may try his just to see how his compares. I honestly think the MGW is over hyped. My preference would be they need to really shorten up their throws. If Hinson could loosen their shifter up a tick they would have the better shifter IMO. Love that shifter, just a lil to tight when aggressively downshifting. Hope this helps..
Old 12-23-2018, 09:16 PM
BDASSZO6
Instructor

Thanks. Appreciate the response......
Old 12-23-2018, 11:19 PM
snampro
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 166 Posts

I did the research the grumpy peeps above suggest and it seemed the MGW is the way to go. I am installing mine right now, will let you know when I finish and drive.

Ignore the people telling you to search. The search on here sucks and if people don't want to help they should just not post, how hard is that?

drive safe!
The following 2 users liked this post by snampro:
jdk541 (12-28-2018), JDMvette7 (12-29-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 11:41 PM
killerv6
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Shifter

I also had a Hinson shifter it was good but don't forget Callaway makes a good one too
Old 12-23-2018, 11:46 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Ignore people that suggest not to use the Search function on this forum. It can be a valuable research tool to obtain relevant information fast. I was able to find these references below quite easily on the topic of MGW shifters for the C7. Some members will ignore requests for help if you do not show a modicum of effort to obtain information you are looking for. There is so much good information available on this forum and you need the Search tool to aid in separating the good from the chaff. Hope this helps.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...w-shifter.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...fit-in-c7.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...w-shifter.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...opinion-2.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-shifter.html

Last edited by MMD; 12-23-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:55 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Last I checked callaway stopped selling there’s. I got the MGW for my 18 because shifting was so bad, but didn’t install before I sold the car. Now I have a 19 and the shifter is way better. Planning to install the MGW to prevent the issue with dropping 5th gear under braking.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:18 AM
VinceBlack
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 67 Posts

I've installed MGW shifters on two different Corvettes (both C7's) and I would do it again without hesitation. One of the best mods you can do for these cars in my opinion. I did not like the stock shifters in either of my C7's. Just felt a little sloppy to me and not precise (others will disagree I'm sure). The MGW provides an exact, precise shift every time with a shorter throw than stock. From what I've seen over the years, probably 9/10 buyers of MGW shifters absolutely love them.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:40 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,194 Posts

Originally Posted by MustOBeenYellow2015Z
I had a Hinson motorsports short throw shifter in my Z06 & now I have a MGW shifter in my ZR1. The Hinson has much shorter throw but is tight. Awesome shifter. The MGW has a lil shorter throws than stock. Love the "race ****" but you can't attached the oem shifter boot to the shifter ****. They need to machine a grove in the **** for the shift boot collar to attach to the ****. Comparing a new oem shifter box to the MGW shifter box, I couldn't tell any difference. Not to say the MGW aftermarket bushings won't have a long life then the oem bushings. There's a vendor on here that rebuilds your oem lower shifter box with the better bushings. He also is machining his own shifter as well. I may try his just to see how his compares. I honestly think the MGW is over hyped. My preference would be they need to really shorten up their throws. If Hinson could loosen their shifter up a tick they would have the better shifter IMO. Love that shifter, just a lil to tight when aggressively downshifting. Hope this helps..
Not sure what you’re saying here. There are 2 options and 1 of them is for the stock ****. I love mine. Got it on the Memorial Day sale this year. Also there is a HUGE difference between the stock lower box and the MGW. The quality is great and install is fairly easy. Definitely recommend it👍🏻
Old 12-24-2018, 08:50 AM
Doctor Mark
Racer

Received 295 Likes on 123 Posts

I installed the MGW shifter a while back. Very good product well built with easy to follow directions that made the install an easy DIY. Results are outstanding. I highly recommend the product. Removes much of the vagueness of the original shifter.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:55 AM
MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Burning Brakes

Yes, I got both the stock & race ****. Currently the race **** is in the car. Although I like the ****, you can not attach the shifter boot collar to the **** like the oem ****.

I had sixty miles on my ZR1 when I put in the MGW shifter, so apples to apples (new box to new box) there is not any noticeably improvement between the two lower boxes. If your box has a ton of miles on it then yes the bushings is going to have a lot of slop in them and its going to be a huge improvement. Don't get me wrong Its a nice pretty cnc'd piece, but you can send off your Oem lower shifter box to the forum vendor on here to get rebuilt with the nice bushings that MGW uses and the Oem box has the dust cap on the one side to keep debris out, which in my mind is the better choice. Its a nice shifter but (for me) Id like it to have shorter throws, send the nice bushings for the stock box, and for them to machine that grove at the bottom of the race **** (why sell a shifter **** that you can not attach the shifter boot to). With that said everyone has different opinions & different end goals so what I want out of a shifter you may not want to same. Hope this cleared things up, have a blessed Christmas!

Originally Posted by saleen556

Not sure what you’re saying here. There are 2 options and 1 of them is for the stock ****. I love mine. Got it on the Memorial Day sale this year. Also there is a HUGE difference between the stock lower box and the MGW. The quality is great and install is fairly easy. Definitely recommend it👍🏻
Old 12-24-2018, 01:40 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Yes, I got both the stock & race ****. Currently the race **** is in the car. Although I like the ****, you can not attach the shifter boot collar to the **** like the oem ****.

I had sixty miles on my ZR1 when I put in the MGW shifter, so apples to apples (new box to new box) there is not any noticeably improvement between the two lower boxes. If your box has a ton of miles on it then yes the bushings is going to have a lot of slop in them and its going to be a huge improvement. Don't get me wrong Its a nice pretty cnc'd piece, but you can send off your Oem lower shifter box to the forum vendor on here to get rebuilt with the nice bushings that MGW uses and the Oem box has the dust cap on the one side to keep debris out, which in my mind is the better choice. Its a nice shifter but (for me) Id like it to have shorter throws, send the nice bushings for the stock box, and for them to machine that grove at the bottom of the race **** (why sell a shifter **** that you can not attach the shifter boot to). With that said everyone has different opinions & different end goals so what I want out of a shifter you may not want to same. Hope this cleared things up, have a blessed Christmas!
The 19s must have a different shifter than my 17. I swapped mine out and it’s very lightweight and flimsy. The MGW is a solid piece for sure. Congratulations on the ZR1 👍🏻
The following users liked this post:
MustOBeenYellow2015Z (12-24-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 01:50 PM
BDASSZO6
Instructor

Forward pic
Old 12-24-2018, 02:56 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

My C7Z is the first car i had i didnt wanted to change out the shifter! I loved my MGW in my 3 C6's but frankly i love how the OEM shifter felt in my 15 C7Z!! now im sure my 19 will be as good if not better. But you can't go wrong with a MGW!!!
Old 12-24-2018, 02:59 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
My C7Z is the first car i had i didnt wanted to change out the shifter! I loved my MGW in my 3 C6's but frankly i love how the OEM shifter felt in my 15 C7Z!! now im sure my 19 will be as good if not better. But you can't go wrong with a MGW!!!
I will agree that the stock one isn’t terrible. I didn’t like the feel of it in the overdrive gears. Especially 4th to 5th. I like the stiffer spring and shorter throw of the MGW.

Get notified of new replies

To MGW Short throw shifter

Old 12-24-2018, 09:59 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 914 Likes on 729 Posts

I have a 15 z. I swapped out the factory shifter for the MGW and I really like it. I put my stock **** back on and it looks just like stock. I'm guessing the guys that were complaining about the boot not working didn't order the shifter correctly. It's a shorter throw than the factory shifter and it's more precise. I liked the factory shifter but I like the MGW better.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:15 PM
MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Burning Brakes

How did I not order the shifter correctly?

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
I have a 15 z. I swapped out the factory shifter for the MGW and I really like it. I put my stock **** back on and it looks just like stock. I'm guessing the guys that were complaining about the boot not working didn't order the shifter correctly. It's a shorter throw than the factory shifter and it's more precise. I liked the factory shifter but I like the MGW better.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:22 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 196 Posts

about how long is it taking everyone to swap the shifter out?

Quick Reply: MGW Short throw shifter