Sponsored by: Vibe Motorsports

Quickest car I’ve ever owned.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 08:35 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by dw886
Since the on board timer is part of the car, and the car knows what's happening with the pedals and the launch control, wouldn't the timer start when the car starts it's "launch" sequence, or the brake pedal is released (or a combination of these things depending on if you're using launch control)? I'd think they'd have all kinds of telemetry signals to know when the car is launching outside of looking to see if the car is moving via its GPS signal. Just thinking out loud...
I only think the GPS signal is part of the equation as that would explain it’s inconsistency/inaccuracy as GPS signal can vary of course.
Originally Posted by RedLS6
Would be a great question for Ask Tadge, although he may not want to give away anything. All of this was originally developed for stability and traction control, then the automakers realized they had the timer data inherently, and just needed to collate the data. The onboard accelerometers can do it by themselves but may not be as accurate as GPS. The problem with them is that they're susceptible to road vibration and other noise (fpc vibration for example) so many systems rely on the IMU (accelerometer unit) coupled with wheel speed sensors for improved accuracy. Tire slip throws the wheel speed sensor off, so they add in GPS when available for even better accuracy. But, these systems have to be able to work in the event of a loss of GPS, so there's a lot of custom algorithms that have been developed. A great question for Tadge would be "what starts the measurement, and what combination of sensors and algorithm is used for the final timer/speed determination?"
GM isn’t the only one to have this, but not sure of the accuracy of other cars or if they calculate the same way. Wife’s Durango RT had it, but I didn’t own my Aim then to compare nor ever took it to the dragstrip.
Originally Posted by JerryU
All I said is the display is different and has nothing to do with PDR in terms of its display. It shows TEST on the right side of the dash in the two Modes I use Z-Mode and My Mode. As you scroll through options, like audio etc it pops up. If you leave it and just drive casually, once you start from a stop, it keeps timing until you reach 60 mph, which could be several minutes. I didn't have that in my 2020 C8 Z51. That is all I was referring to.

An accelerometer is easy for GM to add if that is what it is using for timing. They use them for controlling MRC, traction control, etc. As noted, they do not care about location, or if the road has a slight incline. Just the instant a Strain Gauge in the matrix of several gets a signal from movement in any direction. As RedLS6 states it's probably a compound system and proprietary software.
I mentioned PDR earlier as didn’t understand why it would show different results than the timer, you’d think they are using the same sensors/algorithms though clearly aren’t with different results from the same run.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:08 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,178 Posts

Hopefully someone will run the cars timing equipment at the track and then we can see the accuracy of the cars timing equipment to the track timers. Should be a consistent performer.

either way it’s good to hear Eray owners are pleased with their purchase.

thank you for sharing.

great sports car!

Last edited by JerriVette; 03-26-2024 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Bob MacLean
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS6
I think the biggest benefit of a larger battery would be in the ability to have a full-electric mode outside of Stealth, which is very limited. It's apparent they placed weight as a very high priority when setting the targets for this car.
Sorry.. but that is not what these cars care about "in general" and love #7 https://www.topspeed.com/the-best-hybrid-supercars
The following 3 users liked this post by Bob MacLean:
dw886 (03-27-2024), rackemup (03-29-2024), rmbakos (03-27-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Hopefully someone will run the cars timing equipment at the track and then we can see the accuracy of the cars timing equipment to the track timers. Should be a consistent performer.

thank you for sharing.

great sports car!
From what I’ve seen in videos at the dragstrip the PDR is more accurate and not too far off external timers results, but don’t understand why the PDR and dash timer differ with the latter being more generous as seen below in a recent example.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ter-times.html
Old 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,677 Likes on 6,664 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette

thank you for sharing.

great sports car!
The key to me is not having drag strip accuracy but the new 0 to 60 "test" I can scroll to and put on the right side of the dash. Perhaps on other 2024s, don't know. When I am testing technique, effect of temp, battery state of change not going to reach for an external device or concern myself IF the road has a slight incline. Just that I am testing in the same place, same pavement.

Yesterday when turning onto my "Test Road" 4 miles from my home and one I always take, had to wait for traffic before I could make the turn. Made the turn and at WOT (which I did often with my 2020 C8 for fun, ) rear slide slightly even with those 345 tires! Nothing hard to correct, as my 8.2 Liter BB street rod would have been, but more exciting than the 2020 C8! Great fun! Was driving in Z-Mode so battery at almost 100% and it was 75F.

Last edited by JerryU; 03-27-2024 at 09:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 09:05 AM
dw886
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob MacLean
Sorry.. but that is not what these cars care about "in general" and love #7 https://www.topspeed.com/the-best-hybrid-supercars
So does this validate that it actually IS a "supercar" as that article is titled?

Only joking of course based on the heated debate about the nomenclature on the thread on the general forum. Cool to see it even whispered with some really cool cars.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:49 AM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,742 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob MacLean
I would agree in general, but it's interesting to check the battery sizes on 8 of the 9 other cars on that list
Old 03-27-2024, 09:31 PM
Wing252
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Excited to see what people do with these on the drag strip. We all know the Z06 is the track star, this is supposed to be the straight line racer. Waiting for the first forced induction C8E 1/4 run!
Old 03-28-2024, 06:32 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,677 Likes on 6,664 Posts

^^^^
Yep, launch is key!
Also in gymkhanas as it's a torque monster accelerating out of turns, although heavy!

Quick Reply: Quickest car I’ve ever owned.