Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 07:53 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Cruising about the Web, I compiled the following engine spec. table to better inform our discussions. Many engine spec.s are relatively easy to get, except for dry weight. Engine weight is a key factor but is hard to nail down since the mfg.s really don't like to talk about it, and in some ways it is comparing apples to oranges to pomegranates. For instance, is an intercooler a radiator and not included in the engine weight, or integral, as in the Eaton TVS superchargers on the LT4 and LT5 ? There are no good answers. I estimated LT4 and LT5 weights from the LT1 weight and the Eaton TVS weights for the respective superchargers used.

In any case the comparisons are interesting. If anyone has data to fill in the "TBD's", send it to me and I'll update the chart.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Engine Leading Particulars.pdf (38.9 KB, 90 views)
The following users liked this post:
elegant (01-26-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 01:33 AM
JD_AMG
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
Cruising about the Web, I compiled the following engine spec. table to better inform our discussions. Many engine spec.s are relatively easy to get, except for dry weight. Engine weight is a key factor but is hard to nail down since the mfg.s really don't like to talk about it, and in some ways it is comparing apples to oranges to pomegranates. For instance, is an intercooler a radiator and not included in the engine weight, or integral, as in the Eaton TVS superchargers on the LT4 and LT5 ? There are no good answers. I estimated LT4 and LT5 weights from the LT1 weight and the Eaton TVS weights for the respective superchargers used.

In any case the comparisons are interesting. If anyone has data to fill in the "TBD's", send it to me and I'll update the chart.
You should specify how dressed the engines are for a fair comparison. GM weighs their engines with the flywheel and clutch assembly attached for whatever reason (unless they specify the weight is with the flex plate) while other manufacturers do not to my knowledge. That is usually 60+lbs of weight right there.

Here are some for you:

LS7 crate engine weight:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ls7-crate.html

Ive attached a PDF file from a crate engine site, I feel like it was GMperformanceparts but I don't remember. Weight of engines include the crate and packaging material (which they note to be 30lbs here) and you can see the weights are all over the place for practically the same engine because the engines are in different levels of dress, some near fully dressed to completely undressed, and it doens't specify which is which but its pretty easy to tell.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
CrateEngineQRC2008.pdf (4.02 MB, 116 views)
Old 01-28-2019, 06:29 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette

big surprise kids today have less disposable income than their older counterparts...

you want to cry a river that corvettes are owned by older people...big deal..once you as a young man buy a corvette...its soo good that as you age...you keep buying them...

young people ...they start out slow with two seat sports cars...

sometimes because they want to be able to take more than a friend...they want to take 3 or 4 friends...

back in the mid seventies...we didnt care as long as we had a seat for our beautiful girlfriend...

today all these metrosexual idiots dont date but go out in groups etc so they need more than two seats...

back in the seventies we were laying out blankets and bangin our girlfriends...today i guess the kids meed a back seat which we used to party in the girls car sometimes...

the kids today dont look up to action heros like james bond...

today the kids have different kind of heros ...maybe people like nancy pelosi and chuck shiemer or bernie samders?

i dont really know and I dont really care...

gm has 65 years of iconic sales and history in corvettes...but dominic you know how to market the corvette better because you can type on the internet?

they are making the c8 with an ungraded LT1 because its inexpensive, durable, compact, fuel efficent and powerful...and gm will offer an upgrade to those who want a 600 or 700 or 800 or 900 hp two seat sports car and are willing to spemd more money for it...

life is always about priorities...

for me? 500 hp in a rear mid engine dct equipped z51 c8 and im good...

for those who want more..open up your wallets wider and have a party....

choices is what makes the world go around...

merry christmas and joe c5 sorry to hear your friends are dying...my best wishes to their loved ones especially on such a joyous holiday.

Jerri I feel the desire for pushrod motors as I love my z06. but for tighter emissions variable cams, turbos, and smaller displacement will be the only way to meet both hp and emissions targets.

durability, compact, lightweight, and especially low cost typifies the LS architecture

I turbo the little beasties and I haven't found a need for more than 1k hp on the street which they produce comfortably

pushrods aren't bad, and dohc isn't necessarily hard to work on as you might think. I have torn down and worked on a few LT5 motors and they aren't that complex.

now a hot v tt engine like you see in the caddy is whole step up

I think the vette will see a larger version of this engine with the turbos on the outside.

don't be hating 800+ HP that lives and has a nice wide powerband just my 02 of boost
Old 01-28-2019, 06:33 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder

Considering nobody can tune a LT5 without a stand alone ECM swap I'm sure the new gen electronics will be even worse. Good luck.
that's true, but a ms3 pro as and additional injector controller just doesn't cost that much or you could be stuck in the mud with ONLY 780 hp with the gm kit and a decent exh

Work arounds are available. GM spends quite a tidy sum on driveability, why not take advantage of that and just add the fuel needed up top when you want more power?

it's not rocket science, pooters is stooopid
Old 01-28-2019, 10:50 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,167 Likes on 5,991 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
that's true, but a ms3 pro as and additional injector controller just doesn't cost that much or you could be stuck in the mud with ONLY 780 hp with the gm kit and a decent exh

Work arounds are available. GM spends quite a tidy sum on driveability, why not take advantage of that and just add the fuel needed up top when you want more power?

it's not rocket science, pooters is stooopid
My simple point was that a LS7 swap won't be an easy endeavor.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:54 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I'm going to be shocked if the intro base model doesn't debut w/ a NA LT1 variant. Later MYs may involve a switch to another engine for CAFE reasons.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-28-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:56 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Foosh
I'm going to be shocked if the intro base model doesn't debut w/ a NA LT1 variant. Later MYs may involve a switch to another engine for CAFE reasons.
Agree... but even that motor has DOD and cam phasers and stuff. The LS7 is the last "simple" OHV powerhouse. Too bad they messed it up with head issues.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:12 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
My simple point was that a LS7 swap won't be an easy endeavor.
I would agree for sure but that's why I suggested the Katech LT1 427 which should be a much more straight forward.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:26 AM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by z06801
I would agree for sure but that's why I suggested the Katech LT1 427 which should be a much more straight forward.
The prospect of a mid-engine C8 with their 427 motor is exciting, however, it may also be challenging if the C8's ECU cannot be tuned as with the ZR1. My hope is that since the C8 will be a high volume, high visibility car, the incentive to be the first to hack the ECU will be much higher than it has been with the ZR1.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:52 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

In my vision of the Corvette world the ME will be introduced with an NA LT1 variant. The first year this will be all that is available. Then in year 2 or 3 we will see a Z06 type car and it will have the 4.5L TT DOHC engine. In year 3 or 4 we will see a ZR1 type car with a 5.5L TT DOHC engine. The base engine will still be a NA LT1 variant throughout the model run primarily because it gets the job done for the majority of Corvette buyers and it is cost effective. In year 5 or 6 we will see the C9 which will be an updated ME platform and may include a DOHC engine through outthe line up. This will depend upon how they address the cost effectiveness of a limited production numbers for a DOHC V-8.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:27 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman

The only sure way is to weigh and measure everything yourself, especially if you build cars and race 'em. My two roadster are almost identical except one has a modified 96 LT4 and the other has a modified LS1. I purchased a LS3 for my new car. Each have injection, ignition and water pumps and 100 AH alternators. No PS or air. Each has a T56 6 speed attached. My highly modified C6Zs LS7 weighs less than my LS3. The LS3 weighs more than the LS1. There have been many internal mods to these engines. They all weigh more than my 96 LT4. Even though they all have the T56, the gearboxes have different weights. The Z T56 at the rear is the lightest, the one behind the LS3 is the heaviest. It has much bigger gears in first and second. The one behind the LS1 is different to the one behind the LT4. The extension housings are all different lengths. The parts are not all interchangeable. The clutch hydraulics are all different. The LS1 and LS3 T56s have internal hydraulics. The fly wheels and clutches are all different and vary in weight.
The dimensions are all different also. Different to what has been published here. The LT4 is the smallest. I had to move the LS1 forward by 3 " in the same frame that was designed for the LT4. I had to raise the hood and revise the coil/over placement and lots of other stuff. The worst thing is, the LS1 and LS7 required huge radiators and oil coolers. That means more oil and coolant. The LT4 and the LS1 had the same 400 HP, but the 96 LT4 had no cooling problems or oil surge problems. I couldn't get the LS1 to run cool, fixed the LS7 for 610 HP in the C6Z and the crate LS3 car has yet to be driven.
When you design a car, you gotta weigh everything that is going into the car. It is critical for placement of all the components. The computer, even early 95 CAD programs, will give you the exact weight of the chassis as you design. To move the engine and gearbox after the chassis has been designed and built, simply Fs Up the design. Did I cuss at the Chevy engineers? It took many years to fix that LS engine.

Last edited by Shaka; 01-28-2019 at 02:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dcbingaman (02-05-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 12:05 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

“gm has 65 years of iconic sales and history in corvettes...but dominic you know how to market the corvette better because you can type on the internet?”

Hey Jerri,

Anytime u want an explanation about strategic planning, product marketing/development, market segmentation, product life cycles et al, particularly in the automotive segment, I can try to keep it simple for you.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:16 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

I wouldn’t argue w this. After all, what did GM do when they introduced the 84 C4? And that was a sea change from the C3. GM carried over the Xfire TBI motor. The “newness” of a mid engine platform will overshadow the use of warmed over LT1. But after that, they will need to freshen even the base model to keep unit sales UP.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:01 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

It has had many design changes since the GM engineers, and not the Lotus engineers began designing this engine in 92. They had carte' blanche with this design. They entertained OHC but chose the OHV and it was not because of budget. They began with the LT5 gen.3 block. The cylinder head bolts are an integral part of the structure on the aluminum LS engines. It has taken many years to get this engine right. My LS1 was a disaster. Cooling was a problem from the beginning. The OEM radiator manufacturer dude who helped me with the cooling issue, said it was an internal design error which turned out to be true. The LS engine they will use will be the best yet. There was talk of 2 cams side by side in the block and even a vari single cam. Will have to ask Tadge what became of this idea. My LS7 is at it's reliable limit at 6500 rpm and 600HP with a hell of a lot of cooling. Better results with the truck cast iron LS engines.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-29-2019 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Political Commentary Deleted
Old 01-30-2019, 11:08 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by PCMIII
It means the 6.2L is used in the Silverado pick-up truck.
If the ME uses a small block Chevy motor that started life in 1955, it is going to have a serious marketing problem.
If it uses a twin turbo hot V DOHC that was just developed and produced this year, Corvette will not be seen as old tech 20th century engineering.
The Blackwing will be more powerful that the LT1 and likely more fuel efficient as well. Going old school on the motor makes no sense for a brand new Corvette.
100% agreed. Older crowd will most likely disagree though.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:31 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NICK YOSKIN
Nick,

It isn’t “most likely”. Go thru the threads. They vehemently defend the use of a carryover in block cam architecture in an otherwise revolutionary Corvette platform.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:09 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
It means the 6.2L is used in the Silverado pick-up truck.
If the ME uses a small block Chevy motor that started life in 1955, it is going to have a serious marketing problem.
If it uses a twin turbo hot V DOHC that was just developed and produced this year, Corvette will not be seen as old tech 20th century engineering.
The Blackwing will be more powerful that the LT1 and likely more fuel efficient as well. Going old school on the motor makes no sense for a brand new Corvette.
Post 16

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso

Nick,

It isn’t “most likely”. Go thru the threads. They vehemently defend the use of a carryover in block cam architecture in an otherwise revolutionary Corvette platform.
Nick, did you read any more than just the first page of posts? As Dominic said, read the thread and you will see people highly defending the use of an OHV engine.
PCMIII’s comment about using an engine that started life in 1955, yes Chevy introduced an OHV V8 in 1955, but that engine has not been used in production cars in decades. Yes the current engine is an OHV V8, but that is the only thing that the current engine has in common with that original engine.

Get notified of new replies

To Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”

Old 01-31-2019, 12:23 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

I'm 32, hardly old. As long as it is putting up the numbers it needs to, which it currently is and I have zero reason to suspect it won't in the future, I couldn't care less if it is DOHC, OHV, a boxer, or a rotary.

Ok, maybe not a rotary. Point is, no, the average Corvette owner doesn't care about the engine internals. I bet the majority of buyers couldn't even tell you what DOHC stood for, let alone what it is. Most care about HP, displacement, and maybe torque, roughly in that order. If you REALLY care that much about a car needing to have DOHC are you willing to defect and buy a Mustang, to put your money where your mouth is?

Last edited by jefnvk; 01-31-2019 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:25 AM
JD_AMG
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso

Nick,

I guess I gotta post this again, which will again leave you with nothing to reply to.

You essentially wanting to use a big block that makes small block power for the Corvette, have fun adding all that weight and hurting all around performance and making the car more expensive.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JD_AMG; 01-31-2019 at 07:34 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by JD_AMG:
dcbingaman (02-05-2019), Foosh (01-31-2019), jefnvk (01-31-2019), RapidC84B (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 09:37 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

I'm 37 and I'll gladly take a cam-in-block OHV motor over a DOHC motor. They're physically smaller, lighter, and more simple. Try putting a set of headers on a the 4.6 DOHC Mustang Cobra I used to have vs. any Corvette. It's a lot easier to have fun and mod a LS/LT (admittedly they did a few things that make the LT harder than the LS) than a DOHC motor. Would I not buy a C8 if it comes with a DOHC "blackwing" derived motor? No, but I really don't want a twin turbo one. I've had enough headaches with our Twin Turbo Mercedes diesel.

Quick Reply: Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”