Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

10.6 @ 131 mph (Z07 package)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 06:05 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,397 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by Prop Job
60-130:
C8Z: High 7's
C7Z: High 7's
C7ZR: Mid-high 6's

I think lateral will be similar, braking will slightly favor the C7Z, and corner exit slightly favor the C8Z. I'm guessing it will be a toss up on lap times, more track/tires/driver/conditions dependant than vehicle between the Z06's.

I was really hoping this thing would be in the C7ZR 60-130 and lap time realm. I think this does at least show it won't fall on it's face in 4th (100 mph).
Slightly favor c8Z on corner exit?? It will smoke a c7z on corner exit. A 991 gt3rs does. A car with 1.0 more hp/lb will be even faster. It’s hard to get a c7z to grip out of 40-50 mph hairpins.

trust me I just experienced this at Circuit of the Americas this weekend.
The following users liked this post:
vettesweetnos (05-05-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 06:24 PM
Prop Job
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 180 Posts

Was it a red GT3RS with the number 8 on the side?
Old 05-04-2022, 06:35 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Was it a red GT3RS with the number 8 on the side?
hmmm I don’t remember any numbers and there were about 50 gt3s at cota this weekend. there were 3 green ones, 3 gray ones, 3 white ones, a couple red ones, a couple of blue ones On my session alone. Dime a dozen. Hard to tell which is which.

I just know the struggle and my garage mate even noted it while following me in his gt3rs although I pulled on him after corner exit and made up the loss.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 05-04-2022 at 06:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BrunoTheMellow:
Arrowsigns (05-04-2022), Telepierre (05-07-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 07:17 PM
Prop Job
Burning Brakes

Nice lap. Yea I guess I shouldn't have used the word "slightly". I was following my buddy in his GT3RS a month or two ago around Hallett and was surprised at the drive he was getting out of the corners. Both of us on the Pirelli scrubs and me having several hundred more horsepower, I don't know what a stock GT3RS makes but I'm in the low 800's with the 2300 and supporting mods. I was expecting to blow by him down the straights but was actually spending the first half of that short front straight just reversing the separation. Was killing him on the brakes and mid corner though.

That extra 200 lb curb weight I expect the C8Z will be carrying over the C7Z might eat into that advantage a bit though. Hopefully I'll have one by the end of next year and will be able to get a good average Joe comparison same tracks same tires as my C7Z.
The following 2 users liked this post by Prop Job:
Telepierre (05-07-2022), ZRacerLE (05-04-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 07:36 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,213 Likes on 699 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
You’re assuming traction is an issue, do you think launch control setting will be different on the Z07 vs base?
Not different between Z06 and Z07, but different from the stingray. They showed a slide at the Bash with a driver adjustable launch control. RPM and slip % could be changed. It showed 5500 rpm as an example setting on the slide. Then they went on say you can mess with the settings, but on a stock car leave it alone if your goal is to win.

Maybe this can be used when tires are changed and the grip is different or when trap prep is extremely good.
PRE-Z06 (05-04-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 07:43 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Nice lap. Yea I guess I shouldn't have used the word "slightly". I was following my buddy in his GT3RS a month or two ago around Hallett and was surprised at the drive he was getting out of the corners. Both of us on the Pirelli scrubs and me having several hundred more horsepower, I don't know what a stock GT3RS makes but I'm in the low 800's with the 2300 and supporting mods. I was expecting to blow by him down the straights but was actually spending the first half of that short front straight just reversing the separation. Was killing him on the brakes and mid corner though.

That extra 200 lb curb weight I expect the C8Z will be carrying over the C7Z might eat into that advantage a bit though. Hopefully I'll have one by the end of next year and will be able to get a good average Joe comparison same tracks same tires as my C7Z.
yes weight will be a determining factor but gearing will be a bigger one. I’m sure the c8Z will have short 2-3-4 gearing making use of the grip. The gt3rs weighs about 250 lbs less than the c7z with equal drivers and fuel load but only has 500 hp. But it has less drag and great track gearing compared to c7z and end up at higher top speed although the c7z average speed over the straight seems higher (pulls hard up to 135 ish then falls on its face) .

Stock power c7z hits 122 on both straights at Hallett fyi. Multiple drivers (including myself). Just for comparison.

those are short straights and highly dependent on cornering speed on both sweepers, not a drag strip like cota.

in any case. I digress. The c8z will have a nice time coming out of corners.
Old 05-04-2022, 08:01 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,221 Posts

I’d think if they were worth a noticeable difference they’d have an asterisk next to the specs clarifying.
Originally Posted by Fore58
Lighter wheels.......probably .1 quicker or less. Spin faster but how much?
I guess negligible difference @ 1/4 miles. I think I saw it somewhere (from GM) that it is worth about a second on a road course.
Old 05-04-2022, 08:40 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Not different between Z06 and Z07, but different from the stingray. They showed a slide at the Bash with a driver adjustable launch control. RPM and slip % could be changed. It showed 5500 rpm as an example setting on the slide. Then they went on say you can mess with the settings, but on a stock car leave it alone if your goal is to win.

Maybe this can be used when tires are changed and the grip is different or when trap prep is extremely good.
Didn’t know that, sounds like the GT500 then, thanks for sharing and agree it could make difference with the 2Rs being warm then.

Originally Posted by range96
I guess negligible difference @ 1/4 miles. I think I saw it somewhere (from GM) that it is worth about a second on a road course.
How long was the road course? Not saying it doesn’t make a difference, but better be a dang good driver to be able to see the gains.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:39 PM
traind
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 159 Posts

60-130:
C8Z: High 7's
C7Z: High 7's
C7ZR: Mid-high 6's

I think lateral will be similar, braking will slightly favor the C7Z, and corner exit slightly favor the C8Z. I'm guessing it will be a toss up on lap times, more track/tires/driver/conditions dependant than vehicle between the Z06's.

I was really hoping this thing would be in the C7ZR 60-130 and lap time realm. I think this does at least show it won't fall on it's face in 4th (100 mph).
the Corvette Team already stated that the c8z06 laps about the same as the c7zr1, give or take a few tenths depending on track. I think they added that the c8z06 maintained lap times better than the c7zr1 though.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:11 PM
Prop Job
Burning Brakes

If the gains are all in the tires, like I suspect they are, I think that would be somewhat disappointing. I'm really looking forward to putting them both on the slicks and seeing where they end up. Hopefully somebody will beat me to it. I think I'm late first, early second year at Criswell.
ZRacerLE (05-05-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 11:12 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

If the gains are all in the tires, like I suspect they are, I think that would be somewhat disappointing. I'm really looking forward to putting them both on the slicks and seeing where they end up. Hopefully somebody will beat me to it. I think I'm late first, early second year at Criswell.
I think the majority of gains are in the tires, how much of a difference are you expecting between the two on equal tires?
ZRacerLE (05-05-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 11:40 PM
Prop Job
Burning Brakes

I'm honestly expecting them to be almost identical. Tires/driver/conditions all being equal I think it will come down to which vehicle the track favors. C8Z will be quicker at some while C7Z will be quicker at others. I know the C7Z was plagued by the tiny overspun supercharger and poor intercooler location so I guess if the C8Z can at least match it's initial pace consistently over a session the win would go in the C8Z column. I was hoping to be having this conversation using the C7ZR for comparison but I don't think that will be the case.
ZRacerLE (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 07:46 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

I'm honestly expecting them to be almost identical. Tires/driver/conditions all being equal I think it will come down to which vehicle the track favors. C8Z will be quicker at some while C7Z will be quicker at others. I know the C7Z was plagued by the tiny overspun supercharger and poor intercooler location so I guess if the C8Z can at least match it's initial pace consistently over a session the win would go in the C8Z column. I was hoping to be having this conversation using the C7ZR for comparison but I don't think that will be the case.
I thought we were talking about the C7ZR1, how much of a difference do you think there is at Hallett between a C7ZR1 and C7Z07?
Old 05-05-2022, 08:07 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 785 Likes on 457 Posts

I agree!

Old 05-05-2022, 09:26 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

I thought we were talking about the C7ZR1, how much of a difference do you think there is at Hallett between a C7ZR1 and C7Z07?
1 second. Maybe 1.5
Old 05-05-2022, 10:39 AM
Savoy2001
Melting Slicks

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Well because in the end the car will be awesome on track as we’re all pretty confident it will be but. The last two were pretty awesome as well. Ie c7 z06/zr1. This car just using common sense is only marginally more powerful than the c7 z yet roughly 200lbs heavier wet? So me dct make up for some weight gain but how much? Well In the case of the base c7 z51 vs the c8 z51 it was very close correct? Pending track/driver day etc. So it stands to reason these two will be close. I think the thing that will edge out this car and put it closer in line with the zr1 is in fact the r compound rubber. I bet if both cars were on the same r rubber the zr1 would edge it out more often than not.

Either way way will be interesting to finally see the comparisons. We’ve been waiting for ever.

I think the c8 zr1 will the “the car” that really takes this gen to the next level and will put some distance between the lap times in a more meaningful way.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:52 AM
Prop Job
Burning Brakes

Hallett's not really a horsepower track so may not even be that much.

Get notified of new replies

To 10.6 @ 131 mph (Z07 package)

Old 05-05-2022, 12:49 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Hallett's not really a horsepower track so may not even be that much.
According to Michelin in this video it’s ~.8 seconds per mile for the gains of a Cup2R over Cup2 even though their results were closer to a second per mile, so I think at a place like Hallett the tires are worth more than the 100hp. I’d think the stickier tires on a more powerful car will show more of a delta than on a lower powered one as you’ll be able to use the grip to put power down more so than just increased cornering speeds. At this point I personally think we’re starting to split hairs and the freshness of the tires, the gearing of the vehicles/track layout is going to play the part in favoring one over the other.
ZRacerLE (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 02:22 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

According to Michelin in this video it’s ~.8 seconds per mile for the gains of a Cup2R over Cup2 even though their results were closer to a second per mile, so I think at a place like Hallett the tires are worth more than the 100hp. I’d think the stickier tires on a more powerful car will show more of a delta than on a lower powered one as you’ll be able to use the grip to put power down more so than just increased cornering speeds. At this point I personally think we’re starting to split hairs and the freshness of the tires, the gearing of the vehicles/track layout is going to play the part in favoring one over the other.
https://youtu.be/KCl1ezjI3Lo
or the driver .
Old 05-05-2022, 02:29 PM
SRF7879
Burning Brakes

Received 427 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
Base model will not trap better than Z07 because of tires. If you put sticky tires on them, yes.
Normally I would agree with you, but after having a base C8 with all season tires, I would not be surprised that a Base Z might have slightly better 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

I routinely got 2.6 to 2.9 0-60 when people I know with the Z51 option had a hard time getting under 3. This just wasn't me. Refer to several other posts on this subject. What I found was it was very important to run at 8O temp vs 70 2.6 vs 2.9. the only way I got over 3 was when I had some tire slippage. Some is good, but too much no so.

I never did any burn outs with my car.

If a base C8 without Z51 ground affects can do it Why can't a Base Z do it?

Unlike the C7 Z traction just might not be a problem with the dual clutch and base tires. If a base Z can hold its own off the line the drag with the performance option ground affects might very well be too much.

Carbon fiber wheels might make some difference.

Because of the lower torque of the new Z in general I don't anticipate a big traction problem and once it gets up in revs, you shouldn't see GT 500s nipping at your heals at the end of the 1/4 mile. I am ordering a base Z and most likely will not track the car, so I think I am getting what works for me.

If I was going to track the car, I would definitely move up. And that's where sticky tires and carbon wheels will perform.

Time will tell. I might be proved wrong, but that's fine. Drag is drag. It is an enemy for straight line speed as shown with GMs estimate of Top end for a base C8 at 193 and a C8 with Z51 at 184.

Why will that be different on the Z with and without the high wing ground affects.

Quick Reply: 10.6 @ 131 mph (Z07 package)