Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help on c6 speaker selection/setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 11:01 AM
jmoney127
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

So for these specs on my amp I should go with the jl 10w3v1-4 for my stealthbox?

Old 04-04-2018, 12:23 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Sealed or ported box? And type of primary music?

EDIT: Just re-read the top. I believe the stealthbox is a sealed box. I personally would run the 2 ohm version of that speaker so I can get the max usable power out of the amp since you're only running ONE sub. CAVEAT! This also depends on how much "bump" you want. 250W on a 4 ohm sub is usually PLENTY of bass, especially on JLs. I've run them almost exclusively for the past 15 years. I've had the EXACT sub you're mentioning (well 2 of them) running in the 4 ohm config driven by a 500W mono (250W RMS x 2) amp. They hit hard enough and sounded great (with enough dynamat LOL). but if I were only running ONE sub, I'd get the 2 ohm. You may sacrifice a smidge of "control" on the VERY LOUD end of the listening spectrum, but at normal levels, it will hammer hard enough to sound like you got a sub back there.

(Above stated is only my opinion of the question you asked. Arguments can be made for each configuration you implied about)

Last edited by Pb82 Ronin; 04-04-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:49 PM
jmoney127
Pro

Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin
Sealed or ported box? And type of primary music?

EDIT: Just re-read the top. I believe the stealthbox is a sealed box. I personally would run the 2 ohm version of that speaker so I can get the max usable power out of the amp since you're only running ONE sub. CAVEAT! This also depends on how much "bump" you want. 250W on a 4 ohm sub is usually PLENTY of bass, especially on JLs. I've run them almost exclusively for the past 15 years. I've had the EXACT sub you're mentioning (well 2 of them) running in the 4 ohm config driven by a 500W mono (250W RMS x 2) amp. They hit hard enough and sounded great (with enough dynamat LOL). but if I were only running ONE sub, I'd get the 2 ohm. You may sacrifice a smidge of "control" on the VERY LOUD end of the listening spectrum, but at normal levels, it will hammer hard enough to sound like you got a sub back there.

(Above stated is only my opinion of the question you asked. Arguments can be made for each configuration you implied about)
I don’t think that JL can handle 500w at 2 ohms though. Am I wrong?
Old 04-04-2018, 01:39 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Keep in mind, while JL rates their power in RMS power, very FEW setups will ever drive a sub to it's MAX performance. And your setup will not be any different. At over ~300W your sub will likely begin "clipping" and the gain will need to be reduced. A properly setup system (which that amp with either of those subs will be more than adequate for yours) will be "tuned" properly with a volt meter based on head unit input voltage or other professional audio measuring gear. Trust me bro, you will only hurt that sub if you try to.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:55 PM
jmoney127
Pro

Keep in mind, while JL rates their power in RMS power, very FEW setups will ever drive a sub to it's MAX performance. And your setup will not be any different. At over ~300W your sub will likely begin "clipping" and the gain will need to be reduced. A properly setup system (which that amp with either of those subs will be more than adequate for yours) will be "tuned" properly with a volt meter based on head unit input voltage or other professional audio measuring gear. Trust me bro, you will only hurt that sub if you try to.
I have no clue how to adjust any of that, I just want one I can drop in and not worry about at the moment.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:45 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

All I'm saying is either of those would work for you. If you're doing the install and aren't sure of your technical capability, then go the safest route and get the 4 ohm.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:05 PM
jmoney127
Pro

Does anyone have any experience with the kenwood excelon x801-5 amp? From what I can tell it seems like a pretty good setup for what I’m going for and should be able to mount in the current spot which would be awesome since all the wiring is there besides the speaker wire. Then all I would need to do I see run the wires to the speakers and it would be an extremely clean install.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:23 PM
jmoney127
Pro

Originally Posted by jmoney127
Does anyone have any experience with the kenwood excelon x801-5 amp? From what I can tell it seems like a pretty good setup for what I’m going for and should be able to mount in the current spot which would be awesome since all the wiring is there besides the speaker wire. Then all I would need to do I see run the wires to the speakers and it would be an extremely clean install.
Anyone?
Old 04-09-2018, 09:55 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

I have never dealt with Kenwood anything........BECAUSE of the negative reviews I find on their gear. I know there are some Kenwood fan-boys out there that have had success's with them. I DO know that Kenwood (like most popular brands) are made in China. That puts a big nut kick in potential purchases when I'm spending my duckets.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:24 PM
jmoney127
Pro

I have never dealt with Kenwood anything........BECAUSE of the negative reviews I find on their gear. I know there are some Kenwood fan-boys out there that have had success's with them. I DO know that Kenwood (like most popular brands) are made in China. That puts a big nut kick in potential purchases when I'm spending my duckets.
Have any better recommendations for a similar size 5 channel? I’m trying to keep the amp in the same spot on the back wall of the hatch as everything is wired there and looks extremely clean.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:33 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...XD700-5v2.html

Huge fan of this. Have it in my truck right now. Drive high end speakers and subs like a champ. This is an EXTREMELY TOUGH amp to beat dollar for dollar.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:50 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I always try and steer people towards JL amps because I do consider them to be above average and a safe choice. But if price is a concern, the Alpine PDX-V9 is a popular choice. I can't recommend it because I have never heard it, but I do see it mentioned as a good choice by some if you want to check it out. It goes for about $420-430 currently on Amazon or Ebay, or $699 on Crutchfield.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:17 AM
jmoney127
Pro

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
I always try and steer people towards JL amps because I do consider them to be above average and a safe choice. But if price is a concern, the Alpine PDX-V9 is a popular choice. I can't recommend it because I have never heard it, but I do see it mentioned as a good choice by some if you want to check it out. It goes for about $420-430 currently on Amazon or Ebay, or $699 on Crutchfield.
I’ll have to check and see if I can find a JL that I can fit where I want. I’m also planning on putting down some dynamat and then covering everything in ensolite while I’m at it
Old 04-13-2018, 09:42 PM
jmoney127
Pro

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
My local audio shop has a jl xd700/5 for $399 for me, just put a 10w3v3 in my stealth box today with no issues. They recommended some c2 components, I’m not going to run rears (at least for now) due to what others have suggested on the forum. I’m not sure if they recommend the c2s because they are in fact a good set for what I want or if it’s because they are a big jl dealer. I am a jl fan as I’ve said before but do you think there is something better for this price point and this setup?
Old 04-13-2018, 10:04 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

2 things...
1) Depends on how much the JL components are that they're trying to sell you.
2) And at the price that they advertise on JL's site, there are MUCH better speakers available...BUT!

Speaker preference comes down to just that. PREFERENCE. I never much cared for JL components or coaxials. They were a bit to dull for my taste. But it's all about what YOU prefer. But good news looms...you STOLE that amp from them at $399. Great bartering skills.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:29 PM
jmoney127
Pro

2 things...
1) Depends on how much the JL components are that they're trying to sell you.
2) And at the price that they advertise on JL's site, there are MUCH better speakers available...BUT!

Speaker preference comes down to just that. PREFERENCE. I never much cared for JL components or coaxials. They were a bit to dull for my taste. But it's all about what YOU prefer. But good news looms...you STOLE that amp from them at $399. Great bartering skills.
I haven’t purchased the amp yet, but think I’ll go back tomorrow and snag it. Just want to plan out my system before I pull the trigger. I bet I could get the c2s for about $220 from them. I like very clear, high quality sound, that is why I opted to go for the 10w3v3 instead of the 10w1v3 in the stealthbox. The w3 sounded more “crisp” than the w1 and I got it for $50 more than the w1 so I was happy with that. I will be putting some dynamat extreme down and then 100% coverage with ensolite to reduce road noise, vibrations and improve sound quality. Does this help describe what I’m going for? I do not want the speakers to get distorted or muddy up high or when I have the volume up a bit. I’ve never gone all out like this on a system so I want to do it right all at once.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:31 PM
jmoney127
Pro

Just bought the jl 700/5 amp, got it for $423 out the door. It fits where my current amp is at so that is great. Now I just need to figure out what speakers I want. I listened to the c2s and c3s in the store and they sounded very nice but the only thing they had to compare them to was the ZR pioneers. I found the c2s on amazon for $135 for everything by would like some input from others before I pull the trigger. Then I just need to get the adapter plates, dynamat and ensolite ordered and I’ll grab the right amount of speaker wire once I get everything started to avoid getting the wrong amount.

Get notified of new replies

To Help on c6 speaker selection/setup

Old 04-14-2018, 08:46 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

What's your budget for speakers?
Old 04-14-2018, 08:53 PM
jmoney127
Pro

What's your budget for speakers?
Ideally about $300
Old 04-14-2018, 10:42 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Jmoney127, I hate spending other peoples money so it's always hard to make recommendations. But with that being said, if it was me and I was looking at JL components, I would look to go with the C5's or up. Problem is they will probably cost you around $400 depending on where you get them. Maybe you can check with your local shop to see if you can score an even better deal.

Quick Reply: Help on c6 speaker selection/setup