Sponsored by:

72 side emblem removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 07:25 AM
Mac72LT1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 72 side emblem removal

What is the best way to remove the side emblem. Looks like someone tried pry off one of mine and bent the front of the emblem. I see the pins in the fender but they don't have speed nuts on them or does it look like double sided tape was used. Hopefully I can get off and gently straighten.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:25 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac72LT1
What is the best way to remove the side emblem. Looks like someone tried pry off one of mine and bent the front of the emblem. I see the pins in the fender but they don't have speed nuts on them or does it look like double sided tape was used. Hopefully I can get off and gently straighten.
Take some tape and put it around the emblem to keep from marring the paint and use a thin putty knife to gently pry the emblem a little at a time and work your way along it until it comes loose. Then gently straighten the emblem.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:28 AM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by bj1k
Take some tape and put it around the emblem to keep from marring the paint and use a thin putty knife to gently pry the emblem a little at a time and work your way along it until it comes loose. Then gently straighten the emblem.
Add a little heat (heat gun) to it to loosen up the double sided tape adhesive.

Terry
Old 08-27-2016, 11:02 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi mac,
I prefer to use a long piece of dental floss.
Start it at one end of the script and be sure it's between the tape and the body not between the script and tape.
Use a sawing motion to work it around the script. You have to change the angle as you move around the pins.
Typically no damage to the script or body.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Here.
Remember you have to reposition the floss as the script starts to release to get around the posts.

Last edited by Alan 71; 08-27-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:00 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

I got too close backing into the garage, mine came right off!
Old 08-30-2016, 09:47 PM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi mac,
I prefer to use a long piece of dental floss.
Start it at one end of the script and be sure it's between the tape and the body not between the script and tape.
Use a sawing motion to work it around the script. You have to change the angle as you move around the pins.
Typically no damage to the script or body.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Here.
Remember you have to reposition the floss as the script starts to release to get around the posts.

Alan has good advice as always. I'll add that if you don't have enough dental floss handy, and if you're a fisherman, monofilament fishing line works well too

Hope this helps!
Old 08-31-2016, 08:24 AM
sgt kohler
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used fishing line and some Goof Off. did the ones on my 08 and 72 just take your time.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:10 PM
Mac72LT1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. Got it off without scratching anything. It didn't have any double sided tape on it.

I would like to put some on when put back. Any recommendations on brand and type of double sided I should use?
Old 09-05-2016, 06:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac72LT1
Thanks for all the advice. Got it off without scratching anything. It didn't have any double sided tape on it.

I would like to put some on when put back. Any recommendations on brand and type of double sided I should use?
3M...and GOOD LUCK with that!!!!. I have tied with my scalpel (many times). Trying to cut that double sided tape and have it look good was not worth my time. I buy new emblems. I am super picky because I am doing this for my customers....and I DO NOT glue them back on....that is also a waste of time. For me...gluing them on is a sub standard repair IF they have NO tape on them. An YES..I have seen it like that.

I have YET to find a double sided tape that is wide enough to cover the entire backside of the emblem.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 72 side emblem removal

Quick Reply: 72 side emblem removal