Till the man down at the
Bank took her from me

Oh, She was hotter than a two-dollar pistol
She was the fastest thing around
Long and lean, every young man's dream
She turned every head in town
She was built and fun to handle, son
I'm glad that you dropped in"
Great song but you you kind of missed the point of it which is found in the next verse:

"Then I handed him my keys and said, "Here take her for a spin"
The old man scratched his head and then he looked at me again and grinned
He said, "Son, you just don't understand it ain't the car I want
It's the brunette in your 'Vette that turns me on
"
Old 05-18-2017, 02:41 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by army
I also have a 1950 flathead V8 Ford pickup in original condition. Taking it anywhere results in big smiles and waves and pics taken. Especially if our classic B&W border collie Franky is riding shotgun. He refuses to get in my Vette though. He's really scared of thunder so I'm thinking the Flowmasters are the problem.
Strangest thing, my dog loves, loves, loves riding in my truck, a little four banger Ranger. In fact, she is sleeping in it right now, I take her with me to work, and every where else. She hates my '65 Buick. It is a little loud, but not a lot. She's sure to shun the 'Vette with the new engine and sidepipes! But, she also loves riding in the loud clattering diesel trucks I have at work, so the noise don't figure. I guess she's just a "Pickup Girl" or whatever the song says.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:56 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Oldriceguy
I get the "what year all the time. Even when I have the show plate on the front end that says 1977.
I get that all the time too... And my number plate is 079VET!
Old 05-19-2017, 08:09 AM
TexasYankee
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It never gets old to have conversations with people at stoplights asking about the Vette. The most common question is "is that a '78?". The most interesting conversation was the guy that spent 10 minutes telling me about the '83 he used to own. I didn't have the heart to correct him and assumed he meant a '84.

I recently picked up a beautiful C5 Vert and noticed I get a lot of attention in her too. I guess Vettes regardless of age get noticed.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:21 PM
69L46
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Years ago, I was on patrol at about 03:30 a.m. I was following a white C3 that was going about 15 mph over the speed limit with the T-Tops removed. I flipped on the reds and blues and they pulled over to the shoulder of the highway. I walked up to the passenger side and noticed the couple was in their 40's, were smiling at each other, holding hands and they were both completely naked. The wife made a spontaneous statement that their kids were out for the weekend and this was something they always thought would be fun to do. I advised them to drive safely and have a good morning. I almost asked the husband what he was running under the hood, but was afraid he might, out of habit, jump out and show me.
I hate to ask where he was keeping his driver's license
Old 05-19-2017, 02:45 PM
FINWOLF
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by 69L46
i want to know if she had big ****
Old 05-19-2017, 04:57 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

Originally Posted by 69L46
I never asked for the DL. I assumed he failed to bring it with him.

Last edited by OldCarBum; 05-19-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:00 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

Originally Posted by FINWOLF
i want to know if she had big ****
As for her, let me say that she was, as all women are, perfect.

Last edited by OldCarBum; 05-19-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:48 AM
jjhoneck
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've owned my C-3 convertible for only a couple of weeks, but have already received many waves and thumb's up.

The best one (so far) was on the drive down from WI to TX. I was on I-35, three days into the drive, keeping the speed relatively sedate (the car had not moved 50 miles in the last three years, or 500 miles in the last ten -- and I was driving it 1,600 miles -- so I was taking it very, very easy) in the right lane in fairly heavy traffic.

Suddenly, a guy in a Viper zooms up next to me, matches my speed exactly, and starts animatedly gesturing with lots of "Okays" and "Thumbs up".

Meanwhile, I'm trying to get around slower traffic, and he's pacing me exactly so I can't! This went on for an uncomfortable period of time, so I finally waved him off.

He looked sort of hurt, punched it, and was gone in an instant. I've never seen a car accelerate so fast!

Since then, it's been mostly local drives, with lots of smiles and thumbs up. What's interesting is that it's from a much different age- and demographic group than the smiles we get in our '52 Pontiac.
--
Jay Honeck
Port Aransas, TX
Old 05-20-2017, 06:07 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

My '72 vert gets noticed a lot when out, like almost every time.....from all age groups......most all ask 'What YEAR is that?"....which is funny in that the name 'Corvette' appears nowhere on the car, inside or out....not by design, just happened....plenty of the emblems though, and a shark in both side scoops......

So I reply that is was born in '72 but it has Vette parts on it from '65 through '94, so pick a year..... then I go on to say, it's a hotrod, there is nothing stock from wheels through roof, stem to stern...NOTHING......

see pix below to see what I mean....
Old 05-20-2017, 10:01 AM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

I get a lot of positive comments when I take it out, lots of thumbs up, people catching up to me just to get a closer look. But ya know what I get a kick out of most? Is when the questions get around to where I got the car and I tell them I built it myself.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:57 PM
golfboy
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have owned eight different Corvettes over the last 50 years and have gotten attention and many positive comments from all of them. I presently own and drive a 1978 Pace Car which gets more comments than the other Corvettes that I have owned but they all pale in comparison to the comments and attention I used to get when driving the 2002 Chrysler Prowler that I owned just prior to the Pace Car. That was fantastic but I traded the Prowler even for my Pace Car and never looked back.

Quick Reply: comments from other drivers