C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift console removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 07:59 PM
bigredbrad
Burning Brakes

Location: Lincoln NE Riding and Driving Corvettes since 1967.
Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts

Nicole - Take a pic and show us where you are at in the process, maybe we can help more if we see what is going on.

Regarding the 2 nuts that are attached where I have the red circles, yes they are definitely a bearcat to get to. I have used a wrench to break them loose, and they finger them off the rest of the way. I have also used a palm ratchet to get in there to tighten them up on install. There is just no room to get a regular ratchet in there with all the cables and hvac controls in the way.

we are all here to help,

bigredbrad
Old 05-20-2017, 09:45 PM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Received 247 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi c1n,
I'm not certain what part you're asking about?

The heater/defroster control screws to the metal frame that just sits on top of the console. The 2 forward screws on the shifter plate also hold this bracket in place.

Here you can see the 2 screws on the controller and a hole in the bracket for one of the shifter plate screws.
Regards,
Alan

Alan,

That is what we struggled with. We took out the obvious screws, but we cannot seem to get to the "cable" or other items forum threads have referred to to remove the vent unit. Got so frustrated we gave up. The vent control closest to the E-brake is slightly loose, but the front part (closest to the radio) is solid in place. Clearly we have to undo the cable like others suggested, but we just cannot figure it out. Cannot see anything under there and our hands sure will not fit. There HAS to be an easier way!!!! I really want to get the vent controls fixed and dye the console. What kind of masochist engineered this insanity?? To hear re installation is worse, forget that, I'll be paying someone to reinstall!!

Last edited by c1nicole; 05-20-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:45 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi c1n,
Does your car have a/c?
Regards,
Alan

With no a/c there are 3 'bowden' cables"
The first is controlled by the right side 'thumb wheel' and controls the hot/cold door in the heater box. You should disconnect the cable at that point.
The other 2 control the doors in the kick panel vents. You should disconnect them at the doors.
Disconnecting them as I indicated allows you to take the console out intact and then turn it over so you can SEE what you're working on. It becomes clear then.

Bowden cable at the heater box.

The bowden cable at the air plenum door.

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-21-2017 at 08:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MISTERZ06 (05-22-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 09:19 AM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Alan,

No A/C, will try to look at that today. One of these "while I am at it", will replace the Neutral SS.

The L side vent thumb roller is VERY tight but at least will open/close the vent, the Right thumb roller will not move the R vent at all. Not sure that matters.

Last edited by c1nicole; 05-21-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:12 AM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The "thumb rollers" don't control the vents. The vents are opened and closed with the levers on either side of the shifter bezel.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:16 PM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Raphiki
The "thumb rollers" don't control the vents. The vents are opened and closed with the levers on either side of the shifter bezel.

yes, vent levers, did not mean thumb roller.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:24 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I was not aware that you had another thread started. If so I would have been letting you know really quick.

my method that i sue is like what Alan advised in POST#23

I take unit out as a whole with the cables attached...and re-install it the same way. AND YES..>I also what the gauge cluster attached to the console when I am installing it. You would understand why I do it that way if your car was an A/C car. It goes A LOT faster that way. it may be a bit of wrestling things into place...but TRUST ME...it saves a lot of time.

Try to think of it as when the car is assembled...they are putting parts in as an assembly an having much of is already installed for speed.

DUB
The following 2 users liked this post by DUB:
c1nicole (05-21-2017), MISTERZ06 (05-22-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 08:54 PM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DUB
I was not aware that you had another thread started. If so I would have been letting you know really quick.

my method that i sue is like what Alan advised in POST#23

I take unit out as a whole with the cables attached...and re-install it the same way. AND YES..>I also what the gauge cluster attached to the console when I am installing it. You would understand why I do it that way if your car was an A/C car. It goes A LOT faster that way. it may be a bit of wrestling things into place...but TRUST ME...it saves a lot of time.

Try to think of it as when the car is assembled...they are putting parts in as an assembly an having much of is already installed for speed.

DUB
I will try that this week! 3 days ago I started removing parts to get to shifter console to dye it, it's still in there! I am all about SAVING a lot of time!!!!

Quick Reply: Shift console removal