Sponsored by:

Restore or upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 06:54 PM
Willforce71
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Restore or upgrade

I just bought a 1971 coupe LS5 4 speed with less than 50,000 miles. Car has a create motor installed but, the matching engine came with it. My question is, would there really be much difference in value if I restored the car to original spec, or restored the car and made some common upgrades like wheels and suspension?
Old 11-07-2017, 07:12 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

This is the million dollar question.

As I always write...it all depends on the person who WANTS to buy your car.

If that person is the type that is all caught up with it being factory correct...then it will matter. If they do not care ...then it won't.

Then it is boiling down to how you want to present it and the target market you are wanting to attract.

I have seen factory correct car not bring as much as an altered car...and I have seen some factory cars bring big bucks...but they are usually something REALLY special and not a plain 'Jane' Corvette with not a lot of special options.

DUB
Old 11-07-2017, 07:32 PM
maj75
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Tell us more about the car. How original, what color, and what options?

I would say that as a general rule, two equal condition condition corvettes, the more original, the higher the price. There might be some exceptions for really high dollar restomods with LS motors and models suspension but those probably don’t give any better ROI.

Wheels and suspension mods are really individual preference. Post up about any modification and there will be plenty of people who either love or hate it. Since you asked about the effect of mods on value, they don’t do anything for me. I’d rather see an original appearing car that is well maintained and fully functional. I don’t trust the quality of someone else’s modifications and most I just don’t like.

Last edited by maj75; 11-07-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:33 PM
Willforce71
Instructor

Thanks for the reply. Gut tells me do what turns me on and not worry about it. The car does have most all the options one would wan't so I still feel like I am on the fence. haha
Old 11-07-2017, 07:50 PM
Willforce71
Instructor

LS5
M20 4 speed
400 trim
905 paint
AC
PWR windows
tilt wheel
The T tops have vinyl covering but, I am not sure if that is right.

The car is in great shape as it has been setting in a garage for 30 years. all the gaps are good and the doors open and close like butter. The paint is showing its age and will need redone. The previous owner pulled the motor out and replaced it so it would have more power but then never did much else with it. The hood was replace as well to clear the taller intake but, I have the untouched original as well. The only things I don't have are the original wheels and the spare tire holder and associated hardware. I would also have to get a new exahst as the car currently has Hooker side exhaust headers.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:02 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

I vote-if the car is mostly Original, restore it.....BUT, if you decide to modify/upgrade the car, keep the fiberglass design original.....whatever changes you decide to make-SAVE the original parts in case you sell it or decide to go original/original as possible in the future.

Win/Win situation. Keep us updated/create a Thread.

The following users liked this post:
Willforce71 (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 10:33 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,645 Posts

If you bought it to sell it a short way down the road original all the way.
If you bought to enjoy it for the foreseeable future make it yours.
Of course don't do anything that's not reversible and save the OEM parts.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:15 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,130 Likes on 733 Posts

I have a 72 original very low mileage, excellent condition and a 71 that I rebuilt.
The 72 has A/C and power everything - everything works.. I rarely drive it .

The 71 : I rebuilt the motor - matching #'s, but it's now a roller motor with 400hp. Complete rebuild on the suspension and rear. I swapped out the 4 for a 5 speed. I added Borgeson power steering - everything else is power + rear window defroster. I drive the car constantly.

It all depends on what you want - a show queen or a car to cruse in.

I would pull the 4 speed and put in a 5 speed and drive the car - enjoy the car.
I would rebuild the Matching motor (at some point) and pickle it in a plastic bag. I would also put the 4 speed in a bag and if you sell the car it can be offered as an extra cost option.

The Silver Sport ( SST) kit for the 5 speed gives all the parts and requires no cutting or mods to your original equipment so going back is easy.

Just my thoughts - what you want to do with the car should determine what you want to do to the car..
Old 11-07-2017, 11:58 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Shop around for a set of orig wheels too. Sometimes buying singles when they show up can be more cost effective than a whole set at once.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:37 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

follow your gut...you bought it like that so will someone else ..either way theres a buyer dont lose sleep over it.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:21 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

keep the fiberglass design original.

DG,
Is there any original fiberglass on your 68?

Anyhoo, for me
Lifes too short to settle, especially when the guts involved,

More and more c3 owners and buyers are wanting mods not factory stock,
Look at the thread on modding an original car,

Sure, really nice low miles special optioned c3s get good money but so what, im interested in having fun with my c3, not worrying about when i die and my step daughter does whatever with it,

Besides when restoring to original it has to meet pretty strick standards no frankenvettes or a purist will call it dogshit anyway,

If a car needs to be restored money spent either way ( stock or modded ) likely will not be recouped so why not build the car YOU want not the car some guy might want down the rode if you ever sell it....

Follow your gut...build your dream.

Last edited by The13Bats; 11-08-2017 at 04:26 AM.
Metalhead140 (12-29-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 06:48 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Willforce71
...Gut tells me do what turns me on and not worry about it...
That's all that matters. It's your car.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:03 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi W,
Welcome!
First Posts!!

"would there really be much difference in value".
You're really not likely to get all your money that you put in the car back no matter what you do with it…so your decision shouldn't be based on that.

A WELL restored 71, big block, 4-speed, a/c, car is pretty nice and pretty desirable.

YOU should do what YOU want… not what OTHER people think you should do.
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-08-2017, 08:24 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by BLUE1972
I have a 72 original very low mileage, excellent condition and a 71 that I rebuilt.
The 72 has A/C and power everything - everything works.. I rarely drive it .

The 71 : I rebuilt the motor - matching #'s, but it's now a roller motor with 400hp. Complete rebuild on the suspension and rear. I swapped out the 4 for a 5 speed. I added Borgeson power steering - everything else is power + rear window defroster. I drive the car constantly.

It all depends on what you want - a show queen or a car to cruse in.

I would pull the 4 speed and put in a 5 speed and drive the car - enjoy the car.
I would rebuild the Matching motor (at some point) and pickle it in a plastic bag. I would also put the 4 speed in a bag and if you sell the car it can be offered as an extra cost option.

The Silver Sport ( SST) kit for the 5 speed gives all the parts and requires no cutting or mods to your original equipment so going back is easy.

Just my thoughts - what you want to do with the car should determine what you want to do to the car..
Nailed it.

Show car? Restore to original.

Something you want to do more than look at? Restomod.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:35 AM
ENCSDOUG
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

As others stated, do what your gut tells you. If you decide to sell it down the road there are buyers on both sides. Those who want original and those who loves mods. I chose to completely mod my 72 coupe. 383 stroker pushing 500hp, complete suspension upgrade to coil overs, rack & pinion and much more. The vette runs and drives much better than factory. Good luck on your decision.

Last edited by ENCSDOUG; 11-08-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:44 PM
Willforce71
Instructor

Default Thanks Guys

Thanks everyone for the opinions. I think I am going to do the reversible restomod. I definitely want to drive it so perfect is not the goal. I will keep all the original parts so it can be put back to stock if wanted. As soon as I take possession I will post some pictures and let you guys follow my progress. Great to be part of the C3 community.

Will
Old 11-08-2017, 06:11 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Willforce71
Thanks everyone for the opinions. I think I am going to do the reversible restomod. I definitely want to drive it so perfect is not the goal. I will keep all the original parts so it can be put back to stock if wanted. As soon as I take possession I will post some pictures and let you guys follow my progress. Great to be part of the C3 community.

Will
Perfect,

Do what YOU want and what makes you happy, be it a sweet, fun to drive restomod, or a factory stocker that just sits in the garage for photo ops,

Lifes to short to settle.

Get notified of new replies

To Restore or upgrade

Old 12-27-2017, 05:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Here is the type of folding razor blade knife I use like we talked about.

DUB
Willforce71 (12-27-2017)
Old 01-02-2018, 06:52 PM
Willforce71
Instructor

Default And Journey Begins

Well I have about finished scraping the top layer of paint off with the razor blades and have just started to sand a few spots to see what I am dealing with. Paint thickness measures .0088" so it looks like chemicals are in my future but, the weather is silly cold up here in NH so I guess I'm going to take it easy for a while. This is my first vette so I will be learning as I go. As an ex aircraft Structural mechanic and current composites manufacturing Engineer I should be able to handle this but, one thing I have learned through the years is the old timers and Pros have forgotten more than I will ever know so I am not afraid to ask lots of questions. Thanks in advance to all of you who are willing to share you wisdom.

As I received it.

Stock hood also came with it, wont fit due to the intake and carb combo.

Already gutted the interior due to mice smell. Most things are ok but need new carpet and insulation.

Found a hood locally that I hope to use.
Some fitment issues I will need to iron out.

Both sides stick up in roughly the same spot.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:27 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

Very nice car. Congrats and enjoy whatever you decide to do. Can’t go wrong either way unless you don’t drive it!

Quick Reply: Restore or upgrade