C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New crate engine is now a steam engine....bad problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 05:35 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Betcha that started yesterday.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:38 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

ok this is so painful too see i'm gonna pop open a brewski for you....
Old 03-05-2006, 05:52 PM
79VetOwner
Instructor

Wow I have never seen anything that bad off an initial startup. Please post the results of what you find went wrong.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:03 PM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by bobs77vet

Me too
Old 03-05-2006, 06:48 PM
71redskin
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MsVetteMan
This don't look good, at all.......pics below....

WTF!!!!! i've never seen that b4...let us know what caused that....sorry about your plight man... take it back for sure.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:24 PM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

It appears as though massive amounts of water leaked into the oil via what path is uncertain at this time. Before I cranked this morning I check the water in the rad., and it was full. Keeping in mind I only ran the motor for about 4 or 5 minutes this morning, I checked a little while ago, and the rad looks bone dry. Whatever it is, it's big.

Was wondering why it took so long to purge all the air out of the rad. yesterday. Damn thing just kept taking water, and more water, and more.........

On initial crank, the rad was full, but we had to keep adding water??

Most of what you see is a foamy thick pudding like quality oil/air/gas mixture. I literally had to scrape it towards a port with a spoon to get it to move to drain out to the pan.

Only question I have in my mind is the dayum thing was so loud when we cranked it in the garage that would could not herar if the motor was pinging or knocking.

Removed the other valve cover and other side is just the same, but why was water only spraying out of one open header, and not the other???

I'm snake bit with this ride.......but not giving up yet cause tomorrow is a new day!!

Last edited by MsVetteMan; 03-05-2006 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:26 PM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
Already there!! I must morn........
Old 03-05-2006, 07:26 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

i'm two beers into helping your misery go away....
Old 03-05-2006, 07:29 PM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Well, I just went and bought a new 12 pack, and it's the second one!!
Old 03-05-2006, 07:32 PM
houstonvett
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

[snip]Removed the other valve cover and other side is just the same, but why was water only spraying out of one open header, and not the other???

The side that water is so shooting out on has a cylinder in that bank that is getting water in it some kind of way. The other bank cylinder integrity appartently isn't comprimized so no water shooting from that bank of cylinders. Think I would be asking for a new engine allready Dynoed for your next install so this doesn't happen to you again, houstonvett
Old 03-05-2006, 07:39 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

my opinion.. someone at the crate place gave you a cracked head or block..
Old 03-05-2006, 07:44 PM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by houstonvett
[snip]Removed the other valve cover and other side is just the same, but why was water only spraying out of one open header, and not the other???

The side that water is so shooting out on has a cylinder in that bank that is getting water in it some kind of way. The other bank cylinder integrity appartently isn't comprimized so no water shooting from that bank of cylinders. Think I would be asking for a new engine allready Dynoed for your next install so this doesn't happen to you again, houstonvett
Engine was dynoed....or it appeared to have been, though I got no dyno sheet with it, so I called, and they were going to fax me one 5 days ago, and still don't have it.

It sure appeared to have been at least test cranked with oil plug semi loose with oil on it, and some anti freeze in some low spots (top engine plugs), and also the motor was bagged, and there was condensation on the inside of the bag.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:46 PM
JustForFun
Burning Brakes

Man this is a persons worst nightmare when installing a engine. I jsut installed mind this weekend and already running thru my mine whats gonna happen when i fire it off and thats weeks away
Old 03-05-2006, 07:47 PM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Corz
Not sure if it was that way or not when I got it. But it does seem to be more serious than a blown gasket. Way to much water movement.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:48 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Corz
Given this possibility, I would send it back for a refund or exchange.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:28 PM
black77c3vett
Instructor

Default Hay Babby, Cross Them Off The List Please!!!!

am completely freekin out, have never seen a mess that bad on a new moter, damn man i would definetly send it back and expect a refund or a replacement, nice looking engine compartment by the way. i would expect a complete explanation on wtf hapend. and i am joining you in the beer department. but basickly i am sayin damn, what a shame, call the better business guys
i am definetly crossing them off my new moter list.
and my wife sez "RAISE HELL!! AND GET A REFUND." god i love that woman,
Old 03-05-2006, 08:43 PM
houstonvett
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Did you install the intake manifold or was there one allready installed on the motor when you recieved it? From your first post you said that when you first started the motor you couldn't get enough water in the system to fill it. So I tend to believe your problem was there before YOU started the motor up. Might be an intake manifold gasket problem just from the flow needed to fill cylinder up and shoot the water out. If it was a bolt that was in a water jacket leaking I don't think the flow would be great enough to produce the symptoms you have in your pictures. Would have to be a mighty big crack in the heads and block too if you couldn't fill the coolant system when first starting the motor. Hope you get it straightened out without to much BS, houstonvett

Last edited by houstonvett; 03-05-2006 at 09:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New crate engine is now a steam engine....bad problem...

Old 03-05-2006, 08:51 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Also with you on the beer dept, but I have to say, holy milky oil Batman! I've been following the progress on your crate engine and can't believe what I'm seeing. Make's a guy I know having to pull a brand new engine 3 times to fix a small oil leak seem small in comparison.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:04 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

if you have an air compressor, see if you can pressurize your coolant system and see if you can hear where its hissing.

Any chance something went wrong with the manifold install. If its something simple i don't think the engine is ruined if you haven't revved it too much or run it too long. You said just a few minutes at a time. That mess can be cleaned up and you could just change the oil a few times after running it a few minutes at a time.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:32 PM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

The crate came with the intake already installed. I did nothing to the engine other that hook everything up, and fill it with oil. It was also primed properly. I only drove a 1/2 a mile or so and it started laboring. It died on me twice when I turn around. Pulled it in the garage commenced to filling with water. Ran it for a while thinking it was trapped air and trying to purge the system. Cut it off, took the t'stat off, and continued adding more water. I did notice that the temp dropped to around 150 last night when we were adding water. Actually dropped down to around 140.

Anyway, it was full when I cut it off last night, and when I checked this morning.......

I'm now starting to think that this was not of my doing. I don't think their is any way that by driving the car 1/2 mile and never over 50 mph, and at max a couple of hours idling in the garage could have been something I did......

Just my luck.......Ever heard of that guy that no matter what he buys new, he always has a problem with it.....that's me.

I'm sure the conversation with blueprint engines (aka: marshall engines) will be interesting in the morning. We will see what kind of company they really are. Damn shame to, as that motor had some serious power!! It was unreal, for it's short life.

*EDIT: I just checked the oil drain tub.....dayum thing is slam full. Usually when I drain the oil it's between 1/2 and 3/4 full. Of course this stuff is like pudding and is foamy and thick. No tellin' how much water is in their.......

Last edited by MsVetteMan; 03-05-2006 at 09:37 PM.

Quick Reply: New crate engine is now a steam engine....bad problem...