C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

6.0 LS Swap/Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 08:05 PM
Krusty84
Drifting

Received 367 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
Something like these?
No. I think I found some like it. I think they are 1-7/8" Pacesetter C5 headers or some other brand like Hinson and they have been reworked after the collector and then coated. After looking at it this evening it appears the collector was shortened and then ~45° 3" mandrel bent tubing and ball flanges were welded on.

On a side note, my swap was done with the the cross member extensions and BB Mopar type mounts and stock C5 pedestals.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:11 AM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

I really doubt that the C5/C6 headers will fit on a C4. There is more room behind the engine on a C5/C6 because they use a torque tube system. We have a transmission bolted the engine.

I run the shorties and made my own 3in collector. 3/8in plate and cut a 3in hole. Welded a 3in short 90 exhaust. Lots of room. Speed Engineering has a bunch of long tube headers for other vehicles that you could try. Worst case you send them back. I would try to find a set of headers that come straight down from the middle of the engine, then back.

How does the engine look? Have you measured the taper on a few cylinders yet? How about the bearings?

Jegs has a $1000 4in stroker kit for the 6.0L
https://www.jegs.com/i/Speedmaster/7....1040/10002/-1
Old 11-30-2018, 11:56 AM
Krusty84
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
I really doubt that the C5/C6 headers will fit on a C4. There is more room behind the engine on a C5/C6 because they use a torque tube system. We have a transmission bolted the engine.
If the swap isn't/wasn't done like this one > LINK , then I agree, C5 headers probably aren't going to fit. However, if it is done like the swap in the link (with C5 pedestals), are running a TKO trans and then cut and rework the collector area; it appears they will fit as it appears that C5 headers are on my car.

Here is the driver side collector of my car. I am now about 95% certain I have C5 headers and they have been chopped and welded at the collector to allow room for the trans.

Last edited by Krusty84; 11-30-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:21 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Curious is there some where you can get a cheap set of C5/C6 long tubes? Most that I have seen are pricey. There lots of room under the car for headers, so I don't understand why they cost so much. You could also buy a u-build it LS header kit.

Krusty, I forgot that you had a T-56 in your car. Which T-56 is it? One out off a Ls1 camaro? Sorry for all the questions, I'm not much of chevy guy, I just hacked mine in.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:13 PM
slow_zo6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Curious is there some where you can get a cheap set of C5/C6 long tubes? Most that I have seen are pricey. There lots of room under the car for headers, so I don't understand why they cost so much. You could also buy a u-build it LS header kit.

Krusty, I forgot that you had a T-56 in your car. Which T-56 is it? One out off a Ls1 camaro? Sorry for all the questions, I'm not much of chevy guy, I just hacked mine in.
I believe he has a tko.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:31 PM
Krusty84
Drifting

Originally Posted by slow_zo6

I believe he has a tko.
Yep, it is a TKO600 and not a T56.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:25 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

Those do look like modded C5 headers. Heck if all you got to do is a chop the collector about 3" and add a 45* to the C5 headers.... That's gonna be super easy fabrication work... espc compared to what he has already done with fitting up the 4L80 in the car.

Krusty84 - whats your headers look like for steering shaft clearance?

​​​​​​​Will
Old 11-30-2018, 04:01 PM
Krusty84
Drifting

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
Those do look like modded C5 headers. Heck if all you got to do is a chop the collector about 3" and add a 45* to the C5 headers.... That's gonna be super easy fabrication work... espc compared to what he has already done with fitting up the 4L80 in the car.

​​​​​​​Will
I will try and snap a photo for you when I get home.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:01 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

I run the shorties and made my own 3in collector. 3/8in plate and cut a 3in hole. Welded a 3in short 90 exhaust. Lots of room. Speed Engineering has a bunch of long tube headers for other vehicles that you could try. Worst case you send them back. I would try to find a set of headers that come straight down from the middle of the engine, then back.

How does the engine look? Have you measured the taper on a few cylinders yet? How about the bearings?

Jegs has a $1000 4in stroker kit for the 6.0L
https://www.jegs.com/i/Speedmaster/7....1040/10002/-1
I have not had a chance to pull the bottom end apart any further. Been working 12's at work for an annual outage. I'll try to get a little more done this weekend. I don't have telescoping bore gauges so i will have to find some or steal some

I saw that Stroker kit. There was some talk about it on LS1Tech. Interesting for sure....

I'd like to see your headers if possible. I was considering just running the shorties, but was turned off by the 2.5" collector. Could you show me what you've done?

I was looking around last night and found some cheap OBX headers, like 200-300 a set.

Originally Posted by Krusty84
I will try and snap a photo for you when I get home.
Thanks, I'd like to see them too.

Originally Posted by rklessdriver

Will
That 4L80E Work was challenging for sure lol
Old 11-30-2018, 08:14 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

In to see the progress!
Funny timing, as my cousin is getting an ls in his 86 monte Carlo ss at the moment.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:17 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

200 Page Mega thread incoming with burnout videos aplenty when finished!

Lol
Old 11-30-2018, 08:46 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

I just grabbed some 3/8 plate steel, cut out in a square, probably 4.5in by 4.5in. Drilled three holes to bolt to the collector and cut the outside match the puny speed engineering. Took my 3in short radius and drew outside line and cut out with my plasma torch. Welded on my 3in radius elbow.

Cheap way to measure the bore diameter top and bottom, is use a set of rings. Get some feeler gauges and measure the ring gap. Measure about 1/2in from top of cylinder and at the bottom. The trick is keeping ring at the same depth at both sides.

I have an inside bore gauge and decent set of mics. Lots of miles/abuse equals lots of taper, I would also inspect the shells on the mains and rods. Pull the pistons out to inspect the pistons for scuffing/broken rings/busted ring lands.

You going to run an oil cooler? I reused my factory sbc motor mounts on my car. I have to jack my car up to take those pics and I'm out of town for now. I had a blast building my car four years ago. I did mine over the Christmas break
Old 12-01-2018, 12:21 AM
Krusty84
Drifting

Here is the steering shaft clearance photo. I think the photo makes it look like it is closer than it really is. Probably about an inch of clearance at the closest spot.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:22 AM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

I just grabbed some 3/8 plate steel, cut out in a square, probably 4.5in by 4.5in. Drilled three holes to bolt to the collector and cut the outside match the puny speed engineering. Took my 3in short radius and drew outside line and cut out with my plasma torch. Welded on my 3in radius elbow.

Cheap way to measure the bore diameter top and bottom, is use a set of rings. Get some feeler gauges and measure the ring gap. Measure about 1/2in from top of cylinder and at the bottom. The trick is keeping ring at the same depth at both sides.

I have an inside bore gauge and decent set of mics. Lots of miles/abuse equals lots of taper, I would also inspect the shells on the mains and rods. Pull the pistons out to inspect the pistons for scuffing/broken rings/busted ring lands.

You going to run an oil cooler? I reused my factory sbc motor mounts on my car. I have to jack my car up to take those pics and I'm out of town for now. I had a blast building my car four years ago. I did mine over the Christmas break
Thanks for the good info. I think I have a good picture of what you did for your headers.

Originally Posted by Krusty84
Here is the steering shaft clearance photo. I think the photo makes it look like it is closer than it really is. Probably about an inch of clearance at the closest spot.

After seeing this I'm pretty tempted to buy a set of cheap headers for a C5 and cut them up
Old 12-01-2018, 10:02 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

You gonna go the billet barbell route?
Old 12-01-2018, 10:27 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Hey, Thought you mind enjoy this video, all of you C4 LS swappers

Old 12-02-2018, 09:35 AM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

You gonna go the billet barbell route?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hi9XMQ1S_4
Not sure yet I'll have to look into it further. Just another detail to sort out. Lol

Get notified of new replies

To 6.0 LS Swap/Build

Old 12-02-2018, 04:58 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

The GM L3 cnc that I had were 68cc and would have bumped my compression of my LQ9 to 10.5 area. You could send your 317 heads off the LQ4 to get shaved and cnc'd.

Curious on what the plan is for the rods? I installed ARP rod bolts into mine. Heard that the gen iv rods are stronger than the gen 3 rods.

The 20HP gains of LS3 will only be at rpm's above 5500 rpm, at 2000 rpm you'll lose 20HP
I'm interested in your comment on the ARP rod bolts.

The car won't see 7000 rpm, are the ARP necessary? I wouldn't mind them for the peace of mind, but I have heard that installing the ARP rod bolts can cause the "cracked cap" rods to become out of round and need to be re-sized. Is there any truth to this, and what did you do?

I will say it is definitely going to frequent 6000+ because swag yolo race car, just don't know what kind of longevity issues i would run into with stock rod bolts
Old 12-03-2018, 12:51 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

Great thread. I'm very interested to follow along as you ls swap your corvette. I may want to do that to mine one day also.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:04 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337
I'm interested in your comment on the ARP rod bolts.

The car won't see 7000 rpm, are the ARP necessary? I wouldn't mind them for the peace of mind, but I have heard that installing the ARP rod bolts can cause the "cracked cap" rods to become out of round and need to be re-sized. Is there any truth to this, and what did you do?

I will say it is definitely going to frequent 6000+ because swag yolo race car, just don't know what kind of longevity issues i would run into with stock rod bolts
Curious if the seller told you why they pulled out the LQ4 engine? Yes the ARP2000 bolts put more crush (higher tension force) on the rod than the stock bolts. I used plastic gauge to measure the bearing clearance, I was around 1.5 to 2thou area. I notched the front of the windage tray so my holley low clearance pan would fit. I'm not running an oil cooler.

If there is lots of miles on that engine or signs of abuse, you may want to give that engine a freshen up. I got lucky, my LQ9 engine came out a low miler truck that had some front end damage and only had around 50000 miles on it. Everything inside looked like new.inside and there was no scuffing on the piston skirts and the pistons tops looked like new. I have a borescope and heard the engine run prior to purchasing it.

Quick Reply: 6.0 LS Swap/Build