100%
Old 09-14-2006, 11:43 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnie Guitar
Well, it seems the answer is obvious.
Anyone who owns a stick thinks the stick will win,
and the girls who own auto's think the auto will win.

j/k
Old 09-14-2006, 11:55 PM
rgtkst
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnie Guitar
Well, it seems the answer is obvious.
Anyone who owns a stick thinks the stick will win,
and the girls who own auto's think the auto will win.

j/k
yup!!!! theres the answer

i think most of the time an auto would beat a manual in a eigth/quarter mile run. all things equal. because the time spent shifting would take away from the time putting power to the ground. but.... a well qualified driver in a manual could probably take the flag .

see again....i own a mn6 and no matter what happens I WOULD HAVE MORE FUN GETTIN TO THE END OF THE RACE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 11:59 PM
Tino
Melting Slicks

I went 13.24 in my bone stock 04 MN6.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:28 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Nascar dont use automatics, They dont need them. Some one is pulling your leg. They are all stick shift pieces that run nearly all day long in high gear. The hot Drag Race classes use Lenco`s that are really a bunch of automatic C4 Ford parts stacked one after the other for as many speeds you require. You just cannot shift a standard trans as fast as a automatic and some are even button or paddle shifted. I like the standards too, but if you are in competition and really serious about winning, you must use a automatic of some kind to be competitive to get those W`s.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:41 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,863 Likes on 14,320 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Might come down to the driver, but stock for stock, I'd put my money on the MN6.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:47 AM
blacksofttop
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ironcross
Nascar dont use automatics, They dont need them. Some one is pulling your leg. They are all stick shift pieces that run nearly all day long in high gear. The hot Drag Race classes use Lenco`s that are really a bunch of automatic C4 Ford parts stacked one after the other for as many speeds you require. You just cannot shift a standard trans as fast as a automatic and some are even button or paddle shifted. I like the standards too, but if you are in competition and really serious about winning, you must use a automatic of some kind to be competitive to get those W`s.
Let's not forget this thread is about STOCK A4vs. STOCK MN6!!! We can argue about race cars all day, but that's not what this thread was about! Also, STOCK also means no stall-speed converters, no shift kits, etc! It also means STOCK rear-end gearing! Some of you guys need to invest in a Webster's!!!
Old 09-15-2006, 09:52 AM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Fallz
Auto = Straight line

MN6 = Autocross

Nobody can shift faster than an auto.

Thats why drag cars use autos.
but the stick driver doesnt have to shift faster; they already put more power to the ground.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:20 AM
Arnie Guitar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ironcross
Nascar dont use automatics, They dont need them. Some one is pulling your leg. They are all stick shift pieces that run nearly all day long in high gear.
Wee wee?

I'll tell you what, next time,
I'll put "sarcasm" in parenthesis, just for you.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:30 AM
Sully C5
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by blacksofttop
Let's not forget this thread is about STOCK A4vs. STOCK MN6!!! We can argue about race cars all day, but that's not what this thread was about! Also, STOCK also means no stall-speed converters, no shift kits, etc! It also means STOCK rear-end gearing! Some of you guys need to invest in a Webster's!!!
The initial question was answered on page one. Now, like all A4 / MN6 threads, it has deteriorated into MN6 drivers call A4 drivers 'girls' and saying Corvettes should not have automatics, and of course MN6 drivers are superior 'macho men'... well at least in our cyber world of this Forum. Since the majority of Corvette owners do not race their cars on a road course, this is all a lot more saber-rattling than 'real world' take it to the track and show what you can do, which is a whole different story.

But it is fun until one of the moderators says... "Grow Up" and locks the thread.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:44 AM
Arnie Guitar
Instructor

No sabre rattling or macho stuff here.
Having a manual makes you "one" with the car, any car.
And a car like a Corvette should have a manual.
There are times when I don't turn on the radio,
I just enjoy driving the car, the aural and physical sensations.
Having a manual makes you pay more attention to driving,
and more attention to the car.
People own Corvette's for different reasons,
some for the image, some for the sensation and enjoyment of the car.
When a automatic became standard, and a stick was extra money,
it told you the demographic of the target buyer.

As to the original question, and it was for a stock car, a manual is quicker, GM says so, they didn't qualify it with the skill level of the driver. Don't forget, an automatic is always slipping, a manual isn't.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:53 AM
SMR 67
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TacoMike82
Whether the Auto wins or not, sticks are just more fun...

Old 09-15-2006, 11:03 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,014 Posts

As to the original question, and it was for a stock car, a manual is quicker, GM says so, they didn't qualify it with the skill level of the driver. Don't forget, an automatic is always slipping, a manual isn't.
GM specs. the 6 speed at 1/4 of a second faster then the A4. They are not just grabbing guys off the street to test their cars they use professional drivers.

It's very easy to lose a 1/4 second while manually shifting even with very good drivers so YES in this comparison it comes down to the skill, and consistency of the M6 driver.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Stangkiller
Race Director

CI 5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Most of you guys don't spend much time at the track do you?

A stock 6 speed IS faster than a stock A4. With most drivers. I'm sorry, your argument saying the 6spd driver must be a professional also reflects on the A4. Most people don't have a clue how to launch an A4 correctly to run that time.

Go spend some time at the drag strip watching STOCK cars. The A4's aren't even close.

Now if you want to get into a modding war. The A4 can be built to be a faster, more consistant transmission, even making launches smoother and faster, some of the fastest C5's are automatics. However this isn't a question about modified cars.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:13 AM
Stangkiller
Race Director

CI 5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
GM specs. the 6 speed at 1/4 of a second faster then the A4. They are not just grabbing guys off the street to test their cars they use professional drivers.

It's very easy to lose a 1/4 second while manually shifting even with very good drivers so YES in this comparison it comes down to the skill, and consistency of the M6 driver.
You're not a 6spd driver are you?

Any decent 6spd driver should be able to make it down the track without missing a gear. Of course if the 6spd misses a gear he's going to be slower. That's a no brainer. But this isn't a debate about "Can an automatic win if a 6spd car misses a gear in a straight line race."

In drag racing .25 seconds is a pretty big advantage
Old 09-15-2006, 11:23 AM
blacksofttop
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stangkiller
You're not a 6spd driver are you?

Any decent 6spd driver should be able to make it down the track without missing a gear. Of course if the 6spd misses a gear he's going to be slower. That's a no brainer. But this isn't a debate about "Can an automatic win if a 6spd car misses a gear in a straight line race."

In drag racing .25 seconds is a pretty big advantage
You're dang right it is! Back in the day I spent many, many hundreds of dollars on any of several different cars trying to gain .25 seconds in the quarter!!!
Old 09-15-2006, 11:28 AM
Sully C5
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Stangkiller
A stock 6 speed IS faster than a stock A4. With most drivers. I'm sorry, your argument saying the 6spd driver must be a professional also reflects on the A4. Most people don't have a clue how to launch an A4 correctly to run that time.
You need to run without drivers!

I wonder which is faster...if both have the same rear-end and the same RWHP & RWTQ? In stock form, the MN6 with the 3.42 has the rear gear advantage, the MN6 tranny also is less parasitic. If you bring the two cars to an equal playing field where the only difference is the transmission. I never understood why the 3.42 rear was not used for the A4 Performance Pkg.

Get notified of new replies

To Stick vs.Automatic

Old 09-15-2006, 11:32 AM
itchynackers
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How fast does and A4 shift? I can shift in 0.25 seconds. I thought that was pretty quick. I'd say the MN6 will walk the A4 definitively.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:39 AM
Stangkiller
Race Director

CI 5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Originally Posted by Sully C5
You need to run without drivers!

I wonder which is faster...if both have the same rear-end and the same RWHP & RWTQ? In stock form, the MN6 with the 3.42 has the rear gear advantage, the MN6 tranny also is less parasitic. If you bring the two cars to an equal playing field where the only difference is the transmission. I never understood why the 3.42 rear was not used for the A4 Performance Pkg.
Hmm, that'd be interesting. I'd have to give it to the Auto. I do believe swapping rear gears actually robs measured RWHP, on the dyno. So if you're both running the same rwhp ~310 or so. I think the auto would need a mod or two, but it'd be a pretty good race. Much closer than stock or stock.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:42 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

A fighter jet pilot doesn't need to be shifting gears, and neither do I. I would love to hand any 6 speed vette there a$$ on a track in the North Alabama area while sipping a drink that I pulled from the CUPHOLDER in my a4 pewter convertible.

Auto's are more fun by far.

Quick Reply: Stick vs.Automatic