Sponsored by:

Built thread - 2001 z06

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 01:53 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by AndersT
Yes - we have pretty high import taxes and VAT - so every USD spend in the US (shipping included) costs me aprox. 11,00-11,50 DKK even though the official exchange rate is 6,7-7,0...

And then I guess we have the most expensive license plate in the world. We pay a "tax" in order to get the vehicle registred in the Danish DMV and be able to drive it on Danish plates. A few month ago they deducted the tax from 180% to 150% of the import price (but still a lot of Money).

The numbers speaks for itself: when I registred the vette in 2013 it was 12 years old and had 100.000 km on the odometer. It was not in show condidition - but even though I paid almost 34k USD in registration taxes. It is calculated based on the Danish selling price in 2001 which was about 190k USD, and then adjusted to actual selling price for a 12 year used vehicle. Now in 2016 registred C5´s are offered for sale from 44k to 66k USD - depending on options, year and condition.

But we have lots of other good things in Denmark, and who really cares about cars...

It's only Money!

Last edited by Dale002; 09-25-2016 at 01:54 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:12 AM
AndersT
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for all you positive reply´s. In my job I work with corporate finance, and I really think its fun to do this resto in the weekends. It´s an old dream to take it apart and add my "own touch". Before the Z I had a 69 vert with one of the old aftermarket bowtie L88 blocks, the bowtie 1. design heads and lots of other nice mods. It was fun to drive but it was not really useful because of the engine, and I only put few miles on it during 6 years. So that was the reason to sell it and buy the Z
Old 09-25-2016, 02:31 PM
AndersT
Instructor

Originally Posted by JETZ
'Hells Bells', looks like all your hard work will soon pay off.

frank
Yeah - the old men from Australia still have some of the best and memorable hits. I had the opportunity to be at their concert i Denmark in 2015 - the last one in Denmark with Brian Johnson as lead singer - and they really know how to make 55.000 people rock

Last edited by AndersT; 09-25-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:49 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

When I was 16 we went to the "AC DC's Fly on the wall concert" Some un-heard of guy named Yngwie Malmsteen opened for them the first time. He is not from your country but from your neck of the woods.
The following users liked this post:
SG Lou (04-23-2017)
Old 11-05-2016, 05:53 PM
AndersT
Instructor

Progress have been made since my last post - but I haven´t had time to update this thread

I´m done disassembling the car. The doors have been removed together with the weatherstrip and moldings around the door opening (it was HARD to remove the moldings but I managed to do it without any cracks. But they do look old and almost ready to crack - so I consider buying some new ones (though the seem to be pretty expensive).

I removed the seats and carpets too, as it makes cleaning more easy and I´m about to order the insulation kit from Vettenuts (a good thing to get done while there is easy access).

From here it goes to the paint shop
Old 11-05-2016, 06:08 PM
AndersT
Instructor

Transport to the paint shop was scheduled two days ago - and a very nice feeling when ignition was turned on and the "bullets" disturbed the neighborhood after almost a year in the garage.

And then it´s time to the major clean up in the garage - which suddenly looks very empty especially when all the parts was gone.

Old 11-05-2016, 06:35 PM
AndersT
Instructor

Arrived at the paint shop and ready to dig in

As written earlier the paint scheme will be "Lamborghini Rosso Mars Pearl" at the exterior - except for the roof and lower part of the rear bumper which will be "piano black". All the fiber glass cover for the engine compartment will be black too - except the 1-piece engine cover which will have the exterior color.

Here is some pictures from the process - please mind that all the parts still needs the final "buffing", but you´ll get the idea

Lots of hours invested in more sanding...

The hood and deck lid is finished on the backside. The photos dont do any justice - the surface is almost glass like and all my sanding really makes sense now...

One of the L5-fenders - still needs buffing...

The torch red door handle compared to the rosso mars - its hard to see in a photo - but the rosso mars is way more "deep red" and shiny. Next summer I´ll have to park next to a torch red C5 at a car meet, and take some photos.

The body is finished - and I´m very satisfied with the result. The black roof makes it look lower and it will be even more characteristic when the wide L5-fenders and 345 tires are installed.

Tomorrow we need to finish buffing all the parts - and then everything is going back to my garage, and the re-assembly can begin
Old 11-05-2016, 09:05 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Reminds me of the 2 year project on my engine. There was a point in time when I thought I'd gone too far but in the end I smile everytime I look at the details.

Very nice work Anders.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:06 PM
AndersT
Instructor

Paint job is finished and all the parts are back in my garage again - and now the fun work can begin

In this light you really see the how glossy black roof - one of my favorite mods for this project

Some of the painted fenders and covers

The rear bumper with black painted lower facia

The rear brake ducts - and yes, I´m aware that the paint will get ruined after some use, but its an easy part to "re-paint" - and it will look cool

The carravaggio rear spoiler with a black area

The hood and front bumper - clean and smooth

My "custom" front emblem - I´ve removed the circle and painted it black. IMHO it gives a custom touch, but you will still recognize the C5-element, instead of using emblems from C6/7.

The custom coolant cover turned out very smooth - and way better than the original product. I do look forward installing all the engine covers for a whole new look under the hood.

The following users liked this post:
jdvann (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 02:17 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Definitely one of the more amassing restorations I have ever seen. It's a brand new car now. But with the appropriate mods.

Very tasteful.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:25 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

Wow! Can't wait to see the final product. So much gloss!
Old 11-07-2016, 02:50 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

The rear brake ducts are going to take a beating. That will be the fastest aging part of anything. Mine have various rock chips and scrapes and I have no idea how they got there. Just normal driving.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:50 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

subbed
Old 11-07-2016, 09:25 PM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Josh
The rear brake ducts are going to take a beating. That will be the fastest aging part of anything. Mine have various rock chips and scrapes and I have no idea how they got there. Just normal driving.
Yep mine are painted black and they are all chewed up, I definitely regret painting mine
Old 11-12-2016, 04:19 AM
AndersT
Instructor

I would like to install an hidden antenna behind the rear bumper - is it possible just to remove the current antenna? (it seems to be grounded to one of the quarter panel/rear bumper bolts, which also connects to this wire that runs both on top of the left quarter paned and on top of the rear. I dont know the purpose of this wire - some says its the key fob antenna and some says its for the radio antenna?

Have any of you removed your antenna - and have any good advices?

I would really like to do it the right way before assembling the rear panels.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:31 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

I've unscrewed the antenna itself and put a black rubber nub to slip over the threads. Weak radio stations aren't as clear in some areas but I don't listen to the radio much anyway when I'm driving this car.
Old 11-13-2016, 03:12 AM
AndersT
Instructor

Originally Posted by ~Josh
I've unscrewed the antenna itself and put a black rubber nub to slip over the threads.
It´s the complete antenna assembly I want to remove - so only thing left is the antenna cabel that routes to the radio, which will be used for a new internal antenna (I didn´t either make a hole for the antenna in the new L5-fender). This pictures doesn´t show my own vette (but another CF-member I think), but you can see the mounting bar/frame and the antenna, which all should be removed).

My biggest concern is that I dont know the purpose of the two wires that is connected to the antenna ground, and runs un-capped on top of the passenger side rear quarter panel and on top of the rear tub (ends aprox. at the brake light). I dont know if I need to keep these wires, or if they can be removed? I would like to remove as much of it as possible.

Please chime in if you have any advice in this matter

Get notified of new replies

To Built thread - 2001 z06

Old 11-13-2016, 09:51 AM
ssrallyred
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Well thought out build ! Great job !
Old 11-13-2016, 02:31 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

It may be to remove static electricity that has a tendency to build up on plastic surfaces. I'm not sure about that though.

I have the coupe and the antenna is embedded in the windshield.
You should be able to hide a short antenna in the body somewhere.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:57 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

I believe the wires are to improve the ground for the antenna because of all the fiberglass and plastic. My XM antenna is mounted vertically behind the RR tailight under the fascia as close to possible to the top surface and seems to work pretty good there. My radio started cutting out and the antenna mount had came loose and allowed it to drop low in the facia, works good now.

Quick Reply: Built thread - 2001 z06