C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Plays "Hide the Vette"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:27 PM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If someone is coming to my house to bid on a job, it just is not the Corvette that they are seeing. Don't hide the car, simply get additional bids. Be proud of what you have.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by jimchris
I don't know why people think your rich because you have a Vette, my Dodge 4x4 and my Suburban both cost more than my 2Lt Z51
I know , But a vette has the look of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 03-06-2008, 07:54 PM
User 020720
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hid the Vette in the garage the last time I had an alarm tech installer show up at home.

Only problem I forgot about was the 1:18 diecast sitting on a table and I had a Vette t-shirt on that day, oops.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:04 PM
socalenergyman
Burning Brakes

well I took the Vette on a job bid......they figured if I drove a Vette I was charging too much...and they said that....I told them my success was from awesome customer service at a great price....they just raised there eyebrows and said they would get back with me...never heard from them again....NOW on the other hand, I worked for it so too bad...I show it off also...I worked for it,I was in a gas station and some young kid ask me for some spare change and I said no..he said you have a vette,you can afford it..I said get a job and you can have one too.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:36 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know why people think your rich because you have a Vette, my Dodge 4x4 and my Suburban both cost more than my 2Lt Z51
My wifes BMW 5 Series cost more than my Vette, but the Vette is the car that catches their eyes. The Vette looks way more expensive than it really is. Go ask a few people tomorrow, "How much do you think a new Vette cost?" Unless they are in to cars, I bet they will guess high.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Touch of Fast
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Absolutely, and my wife thinks I am crazy.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:50 PM
SearayC5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do the same thing, vettes get hidden under cover on far side of garage, with the doors down if anyone comes over. Something about employees and workers assuming your rich I guess.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:55 PM
dknight129
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Oh yes, I think they call it the "Corvette Tax" I try to hide mine as well.

I was getting bids on some concrete work. Talked to the guy on the street in my 99 Yukon with a few whiskey dents here and there. The price was very good. Brought him to my house to see the job site and he doubled his bid. Said it was too far out, it was only 6 miles from the job he was working on. The problem is, I am 29 and live in a 3,400 square foot house. When he got to the house he saw my 07 Silverado. The Vette was hidden, I actually had 2 at that time, a 96 and the 07. He insited that the concrete trucks would charge him addtional for the mileage. I told him that he was only 6 more miles than the last job and it was just 8 miles from the nearest concrete plant but he did not budge. I moved on and found a better bid.

It's hard to hide even a little success. When your house is 2-3 times that of the contractor or guy bidding the job, he is envious. He will allow for that so he too can have what you have. I hate it but it is true. I find myself trying to hide my success at an early age when I should be proud of what God has given me. It is a difficult thing because you don't want to waste money, even if you have it.

Last edited by dknight129; 03-06-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:57 PM
vetracn98
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

YES. Especially since I am just an E-5 in the AF. They assume I am an officer on base, or as you say flat out rich everywhere else. which I am most definitly NOT. I Usually take the wives yaris anywhere else. Then they think i am poor and an enviromentalist......suckers!! (although it does help off set the retarded gas prices)
Old 03-06-2008, 09:59 PM
C6 DVL
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by NYC Vette

I didn't think people do that...
In NYC, I live in a high rise and I do hide mine in the garage -- out of shame!! My car is probably one of the cheaper ones there. Infact, I get an inferiority complex everytime I get out of the car, and I see the Maybach parked next to me.
wow, you must live in a very expensive building.......... you probably even have a doorman
Old 03-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm very proud of what I have and open the garage door and say "want to see a cool car"?! I do any and all work myself; vehicle, home plumbing, electrical, woodworking, windows, doors, doesn't really matter, so there are not too many contractors stopping by. Hell, most people want me to fix their stuff. If someone makes the comment about being rich, I just say, "if you save for 25 years, like I have, see what you can have too." They usually never make the rich comment again. Most eveyone knows I have worked hard for what I have, no silver spoons here and most people respect hard work. Be proud of what you have!
Old 03-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Doubletap
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12

Originally Posted by fleetc
Maybe it's just me, but I don't hide mine. I wasn't able to afford the vette by spending my money carelessly. Everything is negotiable. And if I they don't like it, I'll find someone else.

And yes, I do take my vette to Walmart.
Why let someone dictate your actions you dictate their actions

Last edited by Doubletap; 03-06-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:28 AM
bolivar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vetracn98
YES. Especially since I am just an E-5 in the AF.
Wow. When I was an E-5 in the Army, I made $225 per month. In 1968.

(Well, I did buy a new 1968 Ford Torino, yellow w/black vinyl roof, 390ci a couple of months before I got out.)
Old 03-07-2008, 05:13 AM
MARVIN 34
Burning Brakes

sometimes its cool and sometimes its not. the wife and i were going to a friends party and they told us to drive the "vette" instead of the "lexus" and park it in their driveway and when i ask why, they wanted people to think they have "rich friends" . i have neighbors who dont speak and think my wife and i got our noses up in the air because of what we drive. wife always said : people drive what they want and what they can afford. we've been working hard all our lives and deserve something nice to show for it. sometimes ill hide the vette because people will over charge you at home or at a shopping mall.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:43 AM
C6VetteGrl
2nd Gear

Try having a 06,C6 an 07 Z06 and an 08 Cadillac STS in your garage and living in a mid size house nothing to fancy.. I swear people think we are selling something illegal. And your almost embarrassed to tell any one at work..Because they look at ya different.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:20 AM
UmCanesZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by xcutter
Does anyone else besides me find themselves hiding the Vette

I'd rather play Hide The Salami, and not worry about who sees my car and what they think about it.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Never thought about hiding my Vette. When I was still working I drove it to work when ever I could. We all worked under the same contract so we knew what everyone was paid.

Get notified of new replies

To Who Plays "Hide the Vette"?

Old 03-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I neglected to tell my wife or family when I ordered my C6. When I first brought it home I tried hiding it behind my Suburban but the kids found it anyway.

I don't go out of my way to hide my Corvette but I don't flaunt it either. I still have some commercial rental properties...when I need to see a tenant I most always drive my Suburban. I don't want to give the impression I don't need the rent.

Originally Posted by TA76
I hid mine... now I can't find it!
That's funny. You know what they say...the good thing about Alzheimer’s...you get to meet new people everyday.

Originally Posted by Ron H
There are many other cars, trucks and SUV's that cost as much or more than many pay for a 1LTbase Vette. If I don't like a quote I use it as reference for the next guy and let him know if he wants the business he needs to beat it.

Wealthy people have a well deserved reputation of beating contractors down on pricing. Any contractor will tell you that. I guess that is why they are wealthy. LOL
That's true but it's the perceived 'impracticality' of a 2 seat, exotic looking 'sports' car that gives the perception of luxury and excess.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:07 AM
LS3 Zeus
Pro

I play hide the Vette at work. I drive me beater to work to make them think the "Accounts Director" gets modest pay All they see is my 2007 Yaris
Old 03-07-2008, 10:21 AM
fright88
Safety Car

My garage is detached. And anyone who sees me knows I am not rich

Quick Reply: Who Plays "Hide the Vette"?