C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Did you take action?
Yes, I think its the right thing to do!
68.71%
No, I haven't the time for this.
31.29%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Service Active Handling - Consumer Action

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Mopar-Mike
Dadmod
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other day my shop saide their technition said the problem was a bad guage cluster (about a $1500 replacement item) and onc ethatvw was done he could put in the codes for all the bolt-ons and get it ready for the dyno. I hope this id the latst step, as I have already spent almost $18k, plus $19k for the payoff. I would have never done it, but it was my son's pride and joy and he was killed in a motorcycle accident on June 15, 2009. It has alot of sentiment to me, plus it was very quick for a midly modified Z06.

I'M SURE WHEM EVERYTHING IS RUNNING LIKE IT ID SUPPOSTED TO BE, HOPEFULY i'LL ENJOY DRIVING IT LIKE IT IS SUPPOSTED TO BE, AND THEN iI'LL BE ABLE TO ENJOY IT AND START MODIFIING IT LIKE "dAD" WOULD LIKE IT TO BE.

mOPARMIKE (AKA DADMOD)
Old 11-20-2009, 04:01 PM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

Received 393 Likes on 286 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12'-'13-'14-'15

I need to watch this conversation for future reference. This is some scary stuff for sure.

Cajun
Old 11-22-2009, 06:46 AM
Mopar-Mike
Dadmod
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Final Code Fix for "Service Active Handling"

Originally Posted by ccajun4real
I need to watch this conversation for future reference. This is some scary stuff for sure.

Cajun
OK . . . we finally got the weird codes fixed on the 2003 Z06. In the past threads i explained the code of service active handling system, etc. Well, we were also getting codes for diesel trucks saying replace battery no.2, and other odd codes pertaining to diesel chevy trucks. These codes could not be removed, by any dealership in Houston, or the best programmer in the area. The programmer finally narrowed it down to the cluster guage package was corrupt and not relaying good information back to the other computors. Finally, after pulling a lot of strings and markers from people in very high places; we were able to get a dealership to install a new cluster for $620, and get the car back to us. No one would work on it because it has been modified, no cats and bolt-ons with a tune. The cae runs fine now.

Next week we have a tuner coming in and will do his 90% tune back to the car, and then finish it on the dyno for hopefully a perfect screamin' mean Z06 that it once was.

Drive Safe, Enjoy the Ride and Chadmod (our guardian angel) will be in the cockpit with all of us making sure we make a trip home in one piece.

Michael Jones
(aka: Mopar-mike, ChadmodDad, Dadmod
Old 11-22-2009, 08:33 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Mopar-Mike
OK . . . we finally got the weird codes fixed on the 2003 Z06. In the past threads i explained the code of service active handling system, etc. Well, we were also getting codes for diesel trucks saying replace battery no.2, and other odd codes pertaining to diesel chevy trucks. These codes could not be removed, by any dealership in Houston, or the best programmer in the area. The programmer finally narrowed it down to the cluster guage package was corrupt and not relaying good information back to the other computors. Finally, after pulling a lot of strings and markers from people in very high places; we were able to get a dealership to install a new cluster for $620, and get the car back to us. No one would work on it because it has been modified, no cats and bolt-ons with a tune. The cae runs fine now.

Next week we have a tuner coming in and will do his 90% tune back to the car, and then finish it on the dyno for hopefully a perfect screamin' mean Z06 that it once was.

Drive Safe, Enjoy the Ride and Chadmod (our guardian angel) will be in the cockpit with all of us making sure we make a trip home in one piece.

Michael Jones
(aka: Mopar-mike, ChadmodDad, Dadmod
WOW! Thats crazy! I would have thought it would have been related to a bad BCM. Glad someone figured it out. Glad your back on the road diesel free.

Bill
Old 11-22-2009, 08:01 PM
pm454
Heel & Toe

Unreal! Thanks to all who have posted, and best of luck getting the issues properly repaired! I've been seriously considering a slightly used C6, but I think I'll hold on to the C4 a while longer and see if GM comes up with a proper repair.

kindest regards,
-pete
Old 11-23-2009, 07:35 AM
NoisC6
Instructor

As posted a few weeks ago I filed a Safety Complaint with NHTSA after our '05 had 2 Service Active Handling faults within 10 miles of driving. Last week I got an email from: Stephen McHenry, an "investigator with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the US Department of Transportation". He was very knowledgeable and interested in this issue. I recommend if you have Active Handling fault codes you contact him at his email address: Stephen.McHenry@dot.gov

Regards, Bob Kolhouse
Old 11-23-2009, 09:14 AM
bterwilliger
Racer

4 months since I took it in for the fix and still no issues.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:15 AM
zackz28
Advanced

I have had the service active handling come on alot mostly just pulling out of parking lots after being stopped, the fix was just to restart the engine,

HOWEVER something else has happened only twice and that is when i was just rolling down a two lane road straight ahead talking on the phone with one hand and the car just pulls hard to the right and applying brakes wasnt doing anything and had to keep pressure on the wheel to the left to maintain a straight line , like 2 seconds worth of that then it released the brakes and then service active handling chimed in, That didnt happen agian for another year when going down the interstate in the left lane with cruise on and she goes hard right into right lane and the hard left right back into the same lane before i could even start to get a foot on the brake, it was that fast, when i applied brakes it was the same as before, they just didnt work, then after a few seconds of fighting it, brakes released and then service active handling comes up, so every time i think about it i turn the system off,

is the the steering sensor wire I read we are talking about?
Old 11-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The very first thing that you need to do us contact the NHTSB and make a written complaint. Thats down right dangerous.

Each ignition cycle, the EBTCM runs a self test and all the DTCs that were previously set get reset and the lights and warnings also clear.

As it detects a new error, it it displays the new messages and DTCs

There are several causes for this problem. False or wrong signals from one or all of the following sensors:

- Lateral Accelerometer
- Yaw Accelerometer
- Steering Wheel Position Sensor (SWPS)
- Malfunctioning EBTCM
- Wheel Speed Sensor

Unless theres an obvious defect (Loose connector, damaged sensor, bad harness, corrosion etc..) The only way to figure out whats causing it is using a TECH II and having it connected when the problem happens.

If you can find a TECH II and connect it to your car, just driving it around may show a failing or over sensitive sensor.

Good LUCK and drive safe!
Old 11-27-2009, 08:00 AM
skylarkul
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone have a feel for what percentage of C6s this happens to?

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
The very first thing that you need to do us contact the NHTSB and make a written complaint. Thats down right dangerous.

Each ignition cycle, the EBTCM runs a self test and all the DTCs that were previously set get reset and the lights and warnings also clear.

As it detects a new error, it it displays the new messages and DTCs

There are several causes for this problem. False or wrong signals from one or all of the following sensors:

- Lateral Accelerometer
- Yaw Accelerometer
- Steering Wheel Position Sensor (SWPS)
- Malfunctioning EBTCM
- Wheel Speed Sensor

Unless theres an obvious defect (Loose connector, damaged sensor, bad harness, corrosion etc..) The only way to figure out whats causing it is using a TECH II and having it connected when the problem happens.

If you can find a TECH II and connect it to your car, just driving it around may show a failing or over sensitive sensor.

Good LUCK and drive safe!
Old 11-27-2009, 07:48 PM
2005c6guy
Heel & Toe

i have a 2005 c6 and its giving me a bunch of electrical problems.Today the service active handling message appeared and is flashing and only two modes work which is traction on and traction off.Im not sure what to do anymore as i am out of warranty.Also my low beams work sometimes and then after about 20 minutes they turn off so i end up using the highbeams and people get pissed!Any help would be appreciated
Old 11-29-2009, 08:06 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

I want to document this issue in the event this happens again and kills me.

Yesterday, while accelerating at about 3/4 throttle in 3rd gear, I again experienced severe steering wheel shake. It oscillates at about 4 to 5 times per second from approximately 20 degrees each side of center. This is the 3rd time this has occured in the past year, each time at a different location, so I know it's not the road surface. I also know it has nothing to do with alignment or wheel balance as I've had this checked, and I also cannot reproduce this phenomenon. It's damn unnerving, as it doesn't start until 80-90 mph and comes on in a heart beat. I have never stayed in the throttle to see if the car will drive out of it, as I value my life, and it seems that only slowing causes the shake to disappear and it stops as suddendly as it occurs. And, it's not just the steerting wheel that is shaking, the car is also oscillating right and left, just as if I was rapidly moving the wheel.
With all the concern about the AH and TC with these cars and the accidents they have appeared to have caused, I wonder if this shake could be caused by a malfunction within these systems?
I sure would appreciate any insight, or know if anyone has had the same incident?

This was posted on 26 Nov., 2009 in a General Discussion thread.

Last edited by EuroRod; 11-29-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Hollywood57
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zack, It is amazing and fortunate no one was hurt, OR KILLED. Please take the time to officially report this to the NHTSA. It is all about the numbers when it comes to defects. If we do not report this it will not get the attention it desires and sooner or later one of us will will DIE from this problem. I am interested to know how fast you were going, the road surface and most important were you driving with the telescoping steering wheel all the way out?
Old 11-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Hollywood57
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EuroRod, No one has mentioned any "steering wheel shake" that I recall. How far left or right does the car move? I have noticed some ocilating on my 08' but it stays in the lane and after reading this thread I too am concerned. In fact when I drive I have both hands on the wheel and stay ready to react. Also there does not seem to be a relationship to speed from the other people I have read about. The AC & TC is supposed to SAVE OUR LIVES not kill us. This really sucks
Old 11-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Every day that goes by,,I hear of another Active Handling near death story.

I "WONDER" if we would get more attention if we brought this up on one of the BIG TV networks or even FOX news?? Just like the recent gas peddle getting stuck or the Firestone Tires exploding that got big coverage. I think I will send this link to FOX!

Start sending the BIG TV Networks this LINK.. Someone is bound to pick it up and do a story on it. You know,, GM stands for GOVERNMENT Motors.

This seems to be LOW KEY right now, Maybe we can ramp it up on our own!!!!

Bill Curlee
Old 11-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Ok... I did my part. I sent this to FOX News:

American News Room

I am a proud owner of a 2006 Corvette Six Speed Coupe. I love the car. I am also VERY VERY concerned that one day my car might have a mind of it own and the ACTIVE HANDLING System might wreck the car. I am a member of CORVETTE FORUM. People who own Corvettes all over the world meet in the same forum and discuss platform issues and concerns. The C6 Active Handling System has a FLAW that causes it to activate the vehicles Active Handling system on a straight level dry road when it shouldn’t and violently jerk the car to the LEFT or RIGHT at highway speeds.

This single issue is big covers the entire 2005-2010 C6 model platform and is starting to become a monster. No one at GM seems to be concerned. The NHTSA has been contacted by numerous C6 owners and they have only taken a nibble at our concerns but, nothing has been done to cause our problems to be addressed by GM.

I am writing FOX in hopes that you will read this 215 part post and to see if you would like to TAKE ON this issue as a Public Safety Issue. You are my FIRST contact point !! I have urged others on the forum to contact other news stations in hopes that someone will publically address this issue and bring it to light and cause the NHTSA to take ACTION or shame GM into fixing the issue!

I really enjoy FOX News and all that you do and do well and pray that you can investigate and report on this problem.

This is the entire www.corvetteforum.com C6 Technical /Performance post. Please read it and see if you can do a story on a real public safety problem:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...post1572268609

Thank your for your time.

Sincerely

William Curlee

BC
Old 12-01-2009, 11:12 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Funny to see this thread, I recently picked up an '07 Z51 stripper and havent been on corvettforum in a while.

My 99 had a nasty active handling problem, when you would go change lanes it would lock up the RH front wheel and pretty much start sliding off the road. It happened the first time and I almost hit a friend of mine driving on the highway, bunch of lights went on in the dash but I was able to manhandle it and keep it out of the ditch (I ws going 85mph at the time).

I wrote it off to the 17" drag radials in the rear, until a month later the car did it again when passing on a 2 lane highway, it locked up the RH front so hard there was smoke coming off the tire.

I wrote it off again and a couple weeks later it did it again changing lanes on the highway. Car was out of warranty so I started troubleshooting, I was able to get the car to do it whenever I wanted by moving over at speed just the right way. I originally thought it was something with the steering angle sensor. But after studying the system I came up with the lateral accelerometer IIRC causing it. 20.00 for a used one and 10 minutes later the poblem was fixed, that was 6 or 7 years aho so I dont remember exactly how I came to the conclusion that that sensor was bad. Most likely it was a lucky guess..

Fast forward to 2009 and I'm glad to see they still havent figured it out 100%, I thought it was pretty stupid that I could turn AH off and it would still do the same thing and turn the AH back on by itself. I'm not that scared of it, but I really wish there was an easy way to turn it off and keep it off.

Last edited by kp; 12-01-2009 at 11:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active Handling - Consumer Action

Old 12-23-2009, 02:05 PM
vr4spd
Intermediate

Not sure if this is the same issue or not but..."Service active handling" just started coming on randomly. Also my ABS will randomly engage. then I'll get both messages "service ABS" and "active Handling" One of many problems with my car right now.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:28 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

I haven't had this message come on, on my 2005 Z51 sense having the latest service bulliten c/w. usually is the connector uner the sterring wheel lossing communications with the rest of the computers. I think the latest was installing a clip to hold the electrical connector together, but I thought this was a problem primairly with older C6s.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Feelin' Blue05
Advanced

Hey guys,

I sure am glad I came back to the Corvetteforum. I used to have a 95 Vette(sold) and since July now have a 2005 Z51.

Last Thursday I got a Service active handling message while crossing over a railroad track at 5 MPH. I pulled over and restarted the car, error message cleared. I thought maybe that just crossing such a bumpy track had caused it and thought no more about it.

The next morning driving to work on the highway my car suddenly slowed, kicking off the cruise control. The Active handling message came on and quickly went off. I didn't notice if the brakes came on or not. Lucky for me I had read this thread. I soon slowed and put both hands on the wheel. I moved over to the right lane to exit the highway. I slowed through 55 MPH that is when the right front brake applied for about half a second, scaring the crap outta me and pulling me over into the exit lane. Luckily, nobody was on my right.

I got the car serviced today and told them about the connector TSB. They found the steering position sensor bad and that was all. I'm still wary that the problem is fixed and may have to take a look at that connector myself.

Car is a 2005 Z51 with the telescopic steering.

Thanks for the heads up!!!

Also, i did file a complaint.

Darrell

Quick Reply: Service Active Handling - Consumer Action