Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blinking third brake light

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 10:42 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Check this out. I just bought one and will attempt to install at the BCM. This units senses the actual braking deceleration, and changes the flash rate depending on how hard you are braking.

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-27-2017, 12:30 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by vbdenny
A good plan for you but terrible for anyone behind you with a manual transmission. Hate when people stop way back and creep when driving a stick.
Around here so few folks with a standard trans that is a none issue! Once I see thru my mirror someone is close and paying attention I don't continue, it's only when someone is further back that I use that technique until they get close! Too much distracted driving, cell phone use for me to keep my 55+ year driving record of never having an accident with another car unless I am very defensive!

Side Bar:
Recall the when I bought my 1st Vette, an 1988. As with all 5, ordered with the options I wanted. Dealer sales manager, who I dealt with directly, said I'll have to ask for $2000 none refundable down because if it comes in and you don't want it for whatever reason I will have a hard time selling with a standard shift! Had no problem with the $2000 as I had just sold enough appreciated stock to pay for it, several weeks before the market crash that year! Good timing!

Had a product manager who had an '85 Vette and when he looked inside mine he said jokingly, 'To cheap to buy an automatic!' I just chuckled and didn't bother to tell him that year the Doug Nash 4 speed with an electrically operated two speed overdrive attached cost the same as an automatic! He was too young to understand!

That was an interesting trans. My 2nd 7 speed! You activated the overdrive with a button on top of the shift lever. You could split shift and go from 1st, 1st OD, 2nd, 2nd OD and so on. Could not activate in 1st so only 7 not 8 gears!

My 1st 7 speed with a twin stick Dodge Colt Turbo! Bought that when we needed good gas mileage as we had been through buying gas every other day! Could not go from CT to LaGuardia and back on even a full tank of gas in my CJ5 V8, header etc. I traveled a lot and a number of times stayed out of town because I couldn't get gas the day I was supposed to return! It actually had 8 gears if you split shift as you could use LOW in 1st, but when you split shift two ratio's were the same so only 7 speeds. Great fun car, went +1 with 14 inch tires and Pirelli P7's as I recall and other mods. Fit it's name, it was a "Pocket Rocket" for the time!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-27-2017 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:34 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ersatz928
Check this out. I just bought one and will attempt to install at the BCM. This units senses the actual braking deceleration, and changes the flash rate depending on how hard you are braking.

https://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Real-.../dp/B00NUNDVCI
Assume you took off the bumper! to access the wires?
Old 07-27-2017, 12:51 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GTFD2
See post 12.

I tried to go in thru the tail light. Was able to hook the wire but could not get it out far enough to make a splice.
This should be easy to do on the C7, without taking the rear bumper off, as the center stoplight is fed thru a separate wire, from the BCM. The flasher circuit can be added next to the BCM, located in the toe-kick area in the passenger side footwell. BCM connector X4, pin 11 drives the center stoplight. X4 is the black connector between the green and brown connectors. Pin 11 should be a violet wire with a white stripe.
Originally Posted by Flame Red
Pardon my ignorance. I thought it was a PITA to get to the BCM? I thought one needed to remove the pass seat and then the pass carpeting? Not like the C6 as I understood it. Or am I wrong? Please educate me.
Interesting. Assume the pics you are referring to in that thread start after the words, "Lets tear the car apart." Have to look thru carefully. Interesting if it works.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:51 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,076 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
I emailed, we'll see if they have any info.

Wish I had saved that info from a rep for a company making these. There was little detail but as I recall he removed the right taillight Bezel, reached in the space, pulled out a wire(s) and spliced in a module.
We'll see what info I get. With well over 100,000 C7 sold don't see they really need any connectors just some splice wire connectors and perhaps clip a wire. However it you have to remove the bumper to access, that would be a problem and make many sales unlikely.

Surprised with some folks removing the bumper for various reasons no one has reported installing a blinker.
The advantage of the plug-and-play version with the needed connectors is that it is completely non-invasive - no wires need to be cut/spliced. It can be removed and nobody would ever know it was there.

See post #7, there is no need to remove the bumper cover, the wire you need to splice into is easily accessable in the passenger footwell, at the BCM.
That is as much detail as I recall and it was very sketchy.

See pic 11 of the below post for instructions to access the BCM.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tallation.html
So, if you are comfortable splicing a wire, the WebElectric Universal module can be installed at the BCM in the passenger foot well. No need to remove the rear bumper cover. It's probably even possible to make a plug-and-play version that connects at the BCM.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:56 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GTFD2
See post 12.

I tried to go in thru the tail light. Was able to hook the wire but could not get it out far enough to make a splice.
Thanks for the info. I recall the fellow who said he did it had to reach in and grab the wires with a hook. Gave no details but perhaps had to cut wires and extend them to get enough outside to attach! Perhaps that car had wires that were just long enough to do that!

As you note in another post sounds it's easier to take off the bumper!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-27-2017 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:20 AM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

When installing you have to cut the wires and then splice in the unit so in effect you are extending the wires. I could just not get them out far enough to comfortably have enough to make the cut.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:50 AM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

I suspect that you can also find the correct wire (Violet with white stripe) for the center stop-light) in the harness that is accessable under the cargo area carpet, in the shallow well where the rear fusebox (and some electronics modules) are located. I believe that the center stop light wire passes thru that area, thru the main chassis harness, on its way to the BCM.

Last edited by ersatz928; 07-27-2017 at 12:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gonzo (01-29-2019)
Old 07-27-2017, 02:52 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
It's probably even possible to make a plug-and-play version that connects at the BCM.
Ok, I broke out the manual and here is the connector information for the K9 BCM X4 connector:

OEM Connector: HIT2PB-26-D-K
Service Connector: 19151263
Description: 26 way F 0.64, 2.8 Series (BK)

Mouser does not seem to have it. They do have the pins however.

I found one place in the Netherlands that seemed to have the entire connector (6) harness for 360 Euros

I see some hits for GM 19151263 - about $50. No picture. I assume it is just one side and without Mouser's references, I don't know how to find the opposite to make a plug-and-play for the BCM X4 connector. I'll ask TrunkMonkey and see if they can trace it down.

Looks like a splice is the only alternative. Unless someone can find this?

Last edited by Flame Red; 07-27-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:24 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,076 Likes on 6,173 Posts

My Google-foo turned up the following: https://nexelec.com/JST-HIT2PB26DK/. No picture, $1.29.
The following 3 users liked this post by Zymurgy:
Flame Red (07-27-2017), Gonzo (01-29-2019), mdb917 (04-06-2018)
Old 07-27-2017, 04:35 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
My Google-foo turned up the following: https://nexelec.com/JST-HIT2PB26DK/. No picture, $1.29.
That is excellent!

But doing some searching looks like this is the documentation:
http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/pdf/eng/eHIT.pdf

So the other end looks like something that goes to a PC board like on the BCM board itself? It would be better if there were a standalone male connector available. I guess one could chop it up into individual male connectors.

As you can see, I am no electrical engineer...

Last edited by Flame Red; 07-27-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:24 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

This should be easy to do on the C7, without taking the rear bumper off, as the center stoplight is fed thru a separate wire, from the BCM. The flasher circuit can be added next to the BCM, located in the toe-kick area in the passenger side footwell. BCM connector X4, pin 11 drives the center stoplight. X4 is the black connector between the green and brown connectors. Pin 11 should be a violet wire with a white stripe.
I suspect that you can also find the correct wire (Violet with white stripe) for the center stop-light) in the harness that is accessable under the cargo area carpet, in the shallow well where the rear fusebox (and some electronics modules) are located. I believe that the center stop light wire passes thru that area, thru the main chassis harness, on its way to the BCM.
Reviving this old thread.

Has anyone actually verified that Pin 11 on BCM connector X4 works only the 3rd brake light and not all three brake lights?

Has anyone found the Voilet with white stripe wire for the middle tail light under the cargo area carpet?
Old 11-21-2017, 01:38 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Now that the Florida Inferno has mitigated, I finally got to install this. Confirmed: Pin 11 on BCM connector X4 (the black connector on the BCM) works only the 3rd brake light.

I used the Geezer's instructions for access to the BCM. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tallation.html The black wire on the corner of that same connector is a convenient ground. Used three Posi-taps connectors.

Last edited by Flame Red; 11-21-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:18 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Now that the Florida Inferno has mitigated, I finally got to install this. Confirmed: Pin 11 on BCM connector X4 (the black connector on the BCM) works only the 3rd brake light.

I used the Geezer's instructions for access to the BCM. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tallation.html The black wire on the corner of that same connector is a convenient ground. Used three Posi-taps connectors.
Thanks BUT, still don't know for sure what plug or what wires?
These are 2 of the many pics in that post. What wires are we cutting/tapping to install?

Only plugs I see with 11 connectors. If it is one of these-what number am I stripping the wires in the bundle (and I can find a black wire to tap for a ground and verify it is in fact a ground) what is the color of the one I cut and splice in the flashing module. Assume I cut as I installed a module in my C6 and when I buy one for ~$15 it will have a wiring diagram. Just want to be sure I cut the right one!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-27-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:23 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Thanks BUT, still don't know for sure what plug or what wires?
These are 2 of the many pics in that post. What wires are we cutting/tapping to install?

Only plugs I see with 11 connectors. If it is one of these-what number am I stripping the wires in the bundle (and I can find a black wire to tap for a ground and verify it is in fact a ground) what is the color of the one I cut and splice in the flashing module. Assume I cut as I installed a module in my C6 and when I buy one for ~$15 it will have a wiring diagram. Just want to be sure I cut the right one!
Jerry,

Neither of those two plugs. Those are the Navtool harness.

In the background, you see the BCM. There are 7 connectors on the bottom of the BCM. The connector you want is the black conector, Pin 11 on BCM connector X4 (the black connector on the BCM). That black connector is the 4th one from the left.

Here is the pin out. Please ignore the arrow I drew on the picture which is for something else. You want PIN 11.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:03 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Jerry,

Neither of those two plugs. Those are the Navtool harness.

In the background, you see the BCM. There are 7 connectors on the bottom of the BCM. The connector you want is the black conector, Pin 11 on BCM connector X4 (the black connector on the BCM). That black connector is the 4th one from the left.

Here is the pin out. Please ignore the arrow I drew on the picture which is for something else. You want PIN 11.
Thanks, you are obviously MUCH better than reading these new electrical diagrams than I!

However I still had a question from your breakdown of pin numbers as I thought where you had an arrow was where I was to connect! But that said it was the Right Front Turn Signal Lamp Signal!

How I believe I answered the question by finding another diagram!

Could you check out the top pic and see if I am stating the connection properly?

Is this the correct way to connect?

This is the pug as you note.

My confusion was the arrow on this table, which I see now had nothing to do with what I was supposed to be looking at!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-27-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:20 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Really do appreciate the help from folks who can read these "new" electrical diagrams! Realize some stuff today is just signals on a buss!

I have to chuckle as you'd not believe this 75 year old wired my Street Rod from scratch ~17 years ago making all my own electrical diagrams! However used what is easy for me to understand! If the wires are not touching you use a loop!

I was surprised myself that the car started and all lights, stereo, gauges, electrical door and windows, etc etc worked from Day 1! Have had almost no issues!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-27-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Blinking third brake light

Old 03-27-2018, 11:32 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 454 Likes on 341 Posts

I added one of these on my 2006 Z51. I will look into the new ones when I get my new 2019 GS.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:23 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by orca1946
I added one of these on my 2006 Z51. I will look into the new ones when I get my new 2019 GS.
Yep, much easier to install to a C6! They were sold with plugs and access was through the taillight.

If the above diagram in post 36 is accurate adding a module is not hard, have to look at the links on how to get to the BCM (body control module.)

Just checked, there is one module that many folks are selling on ebay and some he same one on Amazon! Found one of those for <$3! Most range from $7 to $15 for the same one! Scary how someone can ship from China free and charge only $3! Unfortunately many of the others are getting from the same source and selling for ~$15 with US delivery! I could not find any type from anyone that made me feel confident it was any better! Once they come from China at crazy low prices US manufactures give up! Can't blame them!

Side Bar:
I recently bought a Brake fluid water check for under $3 direct from China. Amazon price was $10 to $12 for the same one, same pic! I bought for a fun check of my Brake (Clutch) fluid as I am about to do a Ranger Method flush. It came in a sealed plastic display package that had to be cut open. All info on the colored sheet is in English. Hard to understand how something that can't be in high demand can sell so cheap! China gives them fee postage! Says so on the envelop it came in.

Last edited by JerryU; 03-27-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:15 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Could you check out the top pic and see if I am stating the connection properly?

Is this the correct way to connect?
Yes, you got it right.

Quick Reply: Blinking third brake light