Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old 03-25-2015, 01:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 02:57 PM
Jmelz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 02
Is it for a C5? If so then I can find an illumination wire in my factory service manual later.

What year is your car?
Oops, sorry, it's a 2005 C6.

Also, I used a crux socgm17c for connecting to the factory's harness.

Additionally, worth noting that I found FM reception to be awful when I installed the stereo. I found that in the ' extra settings' screen, it had FM country region set to Europe. I changed it to USA and it works great now.

Last edited by Jmelz; 08-06-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:33 PM
Jmelz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After some searching, I realized that using the traction control illumination wire or even the hazard light illumination wire wasn't going to work for this stereo.

I used someone else's suggested wire... The brown wire in the dimmer switch. Works perfectly now...high beams and low beams.

For my unit it turns the button lights on when headlights come on, and dims the screen.

I also found a better installation bracket, at least for me... It is an xscorpion GM k0510ddp . There is a 2nd removable front bezel that can be trimmed, or, you can do like I did, and fill the small gap between the top and sides with some black adhesive felt.

If I had the means, a great idea would be to make a shallow sunscreen. About 1 to 2 inches at the top tapering off at the bottom. It would fill the narrow gap and block some reflection from the screen.

There was a matte screen protector that came with my unit... might put it on some rainy day.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:31 PM
billybaloneey
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BAAD LS2
It looks like they have updated this unit to have 2GB and Android 7.1.1.

https://www.seicane.com/2005-2006-ch...ontrol-s018724

I'm very interested if anyone else has any experience with these.
Android 7.1.1 is indeed the latest and greatest.

FYI: from the research I have done virtually all of the hardware, and chip sets are pretty much the same...with the exception of buttons/*****/switches...and their software interface on top of the Android operating system. All of the big players: Eonon, Hizpo, Pumpkin...and many other makers of HU's are...once again...virtually the same. Seicane seems to be one of the few with a HU specific for a 2005 Corvette.

Don't hate me, but I have a 2005 Ford F150 truck...I like it...it is my second F150 and I have recently installed an Android HU in it. I initially went with Eonon...their GA7173 is made as a plug and play for the 2005 F150...and indeed it was...but I never could get the AM radio stations to come in...after a month of emails back and forth and a replacement unit...Eonon came to the realization that their design was flawed when it came to the F150 in the US market . I found another unit made by a company called HIZPO...with all of the latest and greatest bells and whistles...it is like being at the control panel of a UFO.

One of the downsides to buying one of these Asian made HU's has been eluded to in various posts of the past...the manufactures try to be very helpful, but their English language skills are not always the best...and it takes almost a full day to get a response due to the time differences.

Thanks for posting the link for the Seicane HU for the 2005 Corvette...based on my experience with my trucks Android 7.1 unit...I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and get their unit along with a few of the accessories they offer.
The following users liked this post:
BAAD LS2 (08-19-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 09:48 PM
BAAD LS2
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2017 C6 of Year

Originally Posted by billybaloneey
Android 7.1.1 is indeed the latest and greatest.

FYI: from the research I have done virtually all of the hardware, and chip sets are pretty much the same...with the exception of buttons/*****/switches...and their software interface on top of the Android operating system. All of the big players: Eonon, Hizpo, Pumpkin...and many other makers of HU's are...once again...virtually the same. Seicane seems to be one of the few with a HU specific for a 2005 Corvette.

Don't hate me, but I have a 2005 Ford F150 truck...I like it...it is my second F150 and I have recently installed an Android HU in it. I initially went with Eonon...their GA7173 is made as a plug and play for the 2005 F150...and indeed it was...but I never could get the AM radio stations to come in...after a month of emails back and forth and a replacement unit...Eonon came to the realization that their design was flawed when it came to the F150 in the US market . I found another unit made by a company called HIZPO...with all of the latest and greatest bells and whistles...it is like being at the control panel of a UFO.

One of the downsides to buying one of these Asian made HU's has been eluded to in various posts of the past...the manufactures try to be very helpful, but their English language skills are not always the best...and it takes almost a full day to get a response due to the time differences.

Thanks for posting the link for the Seicane HU for the 2005 Corvette...based on my experience with my trucks Android 7.1 unit...I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and get their unit along with a few of the accessories they offer.
Cool, be sure to post up your experience. If you have good luck ill prob get one too.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:52 PM
mr84monte
Advanced

Hmm, the way they make it sound, it looks like you don't need anything else in order for the steering wheel controls to work, wonder if this also goes for the door chimes etc. I might have to ask them. Thanks for posting the link
Old 08-24-2017, 03:55 PM
mr84monte
Advanced

Originally Posted by mr84monte
Hmm, the way they make it sound, it looks like you don't need anything else in order for the steering wheel controls to work, wonder if this also goes for the door chimes etc. I might have to ask them. Thanks for posting the link
As a follow up, I reached out to Seicane, and they are still checking to see if this will work with the Bose system. I sent a picture of the stock unit, and they didn't understand when I asked if things like the door chimes will still work (response was that it has an amplifier built in) They did say that the steering wheel controls will work without adding a PAC unit.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:24 PM
BAAD LS2
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2017 C6 of Year

Originally Posted by mr84monte
As a follow up, I reached out to Seicane, and they are still checking to see if this will work with the Bose system. I sent a picture of the stock unit, and they didn't understand when I asked if things like the door chimes will still work (response was that it has an amplifier built in) They did say that the steering wheel controls will work without adding a PAC unit.
good stuff. Keep us updated.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:20 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bjmsam
Originally Posted by bjmsam
I remain so pleased with the Android head unit that I installed in my C6Z nearly three years ago that I just bought another one, this time for my 2009 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6. These are improving all the time...
After a month of ownership, I must report that the 6.x units are lightning fast but remain far from polished at this time. For anyone interested, I am documenting my challenges with that particular unit here (that model is packaged for the RAV4 dash but the guts are identical to generic models that one might consider for a Corvette). Firmware updates will resolve most, if not all, of those problems eventually, but folks who don't want to wait or tinker might be better off sticking with 5.x.

Meanwhile, the 4.x unit in my C6Z remains bulletproof. In fact, it’s better than ever after installing two apps worth noting here...
One significant feature that my 6.x unit offers that my 4.x unit lacks is suspend / resume, which avoids reboots for up to two hours after the ignition is switched off. Sweet!
Old 09-17-2017, 07:14 PM
Quick2
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bjmsam, thank you for introducing me to this unit. I had my 4.4 since Feb. 2015 and been very happy with it despite a couple of bugs. Have you done any updates to the unit and what are your favorite apps?
Old 09-17-2017, 07:55 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Glad to hear it! I primarily use these apps:

Torque - monitors and logs engine parameters, reads and resets CEL codes, etc.
iGo - off-line navigation (I prefer it to even Garmin Nuvi)
MyCars - tracks fuel fill-ups and mileage
Twilight - gradually adjusts the screen brightness within a configurable range as the sun rises and sets based on GPS position.
All-In-One Toolbox - launches apps automatically when the head unit boots (as long as they are not moved to the SD Card) and offers many handy tools that optimize memory and CPU, manage files, etc.

I also use Google apps when in range of Wi-Fi (GMail, Calendar, Drive, etc.). What are your favorites?
Old 02-12-2018, 12:52 PM
pierrel
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Whats the lates and most recommended android HU nowadays? I need to replace my dead stock head unit, and have got everything i need except the actual head unit.
Thanks!
Old 02-12-2018, 07:24 PM
bjmsam
Pro

I remain completely satisfied with the 4.x unit that I installed in 2014 and have no plans to replace it, but here is the latest offering by the same vendor:

Pumpkin Android 8.0 Universal Car Stereo/Radio Double Din 7 Inch Touchscreen Octa-Core with GPS Navi Bluetooth RAM:4GB+ROM:32GB
Old 02-15-2018, 11:03 PM
Dave70
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what about a harness adapter? Do you have to cut into the harness or do they have a plug and play adapter like most aftermarket head units?
Old 02-16-2018, 01:42 AM
bjmsam
Pro

The PAC plugs into the same stock connectors as the OEM HU, so nothing described in the first post involves cutting into the car's harness.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:13 PM
tracybarnes
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave70
what about a harness adapter? Do you have to cut into the harness or do they have a plug and play adapter like most aftermarket head units?
I replaced the old factory nav and used a os-2x. Everything plugged right in.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:56 PM
Dave70
Racer

Sorry i have an 01 Z06 my stock HU looks like it is from the stone age compared to the C6's. But on the joying unit everything seems to be rca's
Old 02-18-2018, 09:19 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

I used the GMRAP along with the PAC module to maintain the RAP feature on my 02. The RAP is so the stereo stays on until the door is opened.
I'm about to install amps and component speakers when I get time so the PAC will be going bye bye.

If you have C5 specific questions I can answer them. Another C5 issue is back lighting. There is no back lighting source in the cars wiring harness. It has to come from the dash or HVAC. You can just wire it to ACC if dimming is not a concern.

Get notified of new replies

To Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation

Old 02-22-2018, 11:36 PM
Dave70
Racer

Thanks Rob I'm sure i'll be asking a ton of questions once everything gets in.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:03 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

This weekend I moved from a Pumpkin quad core with 2 GB RAM Android 5.1 unit to an Eonon octa core Android 8.0 head unit with 8 GB RAM. I went with Eonon because of the extra 2GB of RAM on top of Pumpkin's offering.

My goodness, the difference is astounding. It boots immediately, doesn't experience the shutdown and dual booting issues, doesn't freeze and I can run several apps concurrently with no lag. Split screen mode is also really helpful for when I'm using Spotify and Google Maps, etc. It's just crisp in every action.

I also run aftermarket speakers with no external amp, and sound quality is considerably better.

I loved my 5.1 unit, but this thing is a whole different beast. I'd highly recommend dropping the ~$250 for an upgrade if you're on an older unit and it's in your budget.

As an added bonus all of the harnesses were the same between the units, so it was a 10 minute plug and play direct swap.
The following 2 users liked this post by doomi:
bjmsam (02-27-2018), Rob 02 (03-06-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 02:08 AM
pierrel
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by doomi
This weekend I moved from a Pumpkin quad core with 2 GB RAM Android 5.1 unit to an Eonon octa core Android 8.0 head unit with 8 GB RAM. I went with Eonon because of the extra 2GB of RAM on top of Pumpkin's offering.
How fast was the shipping of the Eonon unit? I was waiting for a Pumpkin unit to arrive at thir UK supplier (to make shipping to Sweden cheaper/faster), but that might take weeks, time I don't really have.
It should be the same unit, except the Eonon unit is slighty smaller in depth.

Quick Reply: Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation