C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette V12?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 12:43 AM
Jeffs82c3
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 126 Posts

Nice job Richard, it's nice to see someone do something different for a change. If you ever been to the Carlisle corvette show,in pa., all you see are rows of vette, that seems like they are alike. Have fun with your build.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:22 PM
SRountree
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interior

Looking good Richard!
Have you worked in the interior anymore? I'm looking forward to seeing how it will go together. I ordered my gauges for mine trying to get all the pieces together. I am not sure what to do about the heater/air switches. Is there an easy option to modernise them? Kinda like the brake you used?

any help will be appreciated!
Old 01-23-2019, 12:23 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Richard454
Thank you sir-

Thanks for the quick reply. BTW, how’s it coming along? I was really excited to see a video with it running through your exhaust

Right, I’d forgotten about the length. I had seen that picture with the longer gasket before. But the info about the vanos is exactly what I was wondering. I thought it might be something like that. I gathered that you went with the Megasquirt as a personal preference thing, but it sounds like the original computers can’t be made to work?

-Edit- ok, I reread what you wrote. It’s the vanos that can’t be run stand-alone correct? The original Bosch units would have worked by themselves.

Those Webber lookalikes are really nice looking! Ah well, at least you have an upgrade path now!
You are welcome- stay tuned!!

Originally Posted by Jeffs82c3
Nice job Richard, it's nice to see someone do something different for a change. If you ever been to the Carlisle corvette show,in pa., all you see are rows of vette, that seems like they are alike. Have fun with your build.
Thank you !!! Yep- I have had this problem since I was a child- first it was a square peg in a round hole- then decided a triangle would be more of a challenge!!!

Originally Posted by SRountree
Looking good Richard!
Have you worked in the interior anymore? I'm looking forward to seeing how it will go together. I ordered my gauges for mine trying to get all the pieces together. I am not sure what to do about the heater/air switches. Is there an easy option to modernise them? Kinda like the brake you used?
any help will be appreciated!
Hey Steve-

I'm working on the rear compartment right now- then it's get the steering column where I want it and then put it together from there.

As far as the HVAC switches- I'm running the vintage air- and used there "universal controls" - upgraded the ***** to be back lit (got them off a Oldsmobile Aura IIRC) and designed the switch to switch the defroster off/on but pushing the **** in

This video has the old *****- the ones that came with the Vintage Air universal.

Then I started finishing up the rear compartment -

Got the fuel pumps wired- then polished out the rollbar. It was in the car when I bought in 1981- and I'm guessing its chromemoly. Started out with 320- then 600 - 800 to 1500. Then some Mothers Wheel polish. I'm happy with how it turned out.

Then I was lamenting the fact that the light in the back of the compartment sux...In my 73 on several long trips-every time there was anything- like a set of folding chairs- overnight bag- you could NOT see as the light was covered- worthless!!!

So- LED rope lights- cut to size and some aluminum u-channel. . It'll mount right under the rear lip- only a 1/4" revels past the lip- just had to bend - tweek a little bit to fit nice and tight.

Polished the inside channel and sprayed the outside black. Not dry yet- I'll get a picture of it mounted and working- I just used a 9V battery to test- very efficient!!! Should light up the whole compartment with ease.

Here the back compartment light-

Don't even notice it AND plenty of light.

Now back to wiring...

Old 01-23-2019, 12:25 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Bolted up the heim strut rods and spacer plate-then went through every bolt on the back of the car- sway bars-gas tank-half shafts-driveshaft -diff and torqued them down,

Brake lines made up from the trailing arm to the caliper. The stock ones were too close to the coilovers- Some ni-cop line and my trusty Eastwood flare tool- done.

Messed with the fuel sender- as I was getting a leak from it- after carefully going over it- looks like the insulator for the electrical connector was just loose. So I decided to use a ring terminal- double nut it and not use the factory post clip connector. Also used a 2 pin weatherpack connector to make it easily disconnected- just in case I have to take it apart again....

Old 01-23-2019, 12:28 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

I'm where you guys are with the interior....

Lotsa wires!!!

BUT to the rescue- my Dymo labeler that does HEAT SHRINK TUBING!!!

Also fixed a fuel rail leak-

It was a straight cut AN fitting with an O-ring...

I tried several days - let the sealant cure for 24hours- crap leaking again.

Then- tried a Dowty seal- used for high pressure hydraulics-it worked-

Four wires- two pumps in the tank- running both- no leaks

Old 01-23-2019, 12:40 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

I made a tool to drill the rollbar for the seatbelt-

Looked on line- a lot of different designs to center drill a pipe- most were a V- block and a drill press...

Here's what I did on the cheap-

split ring hanger have them in various sizes at Lowes/HomeDepot I got the 2" and 1 ½"- so I'm all in for $5!!!

Some aluminum tube I had laying around (about 10mm)- threaded it to 3/8-16

Then cut it so the drill bit would be able to goo through the rollbar.

Wallah-

Worked good-

Now just have to make a cover for the re-tractor-

Old 01-23-2019, 01:07 AM
Jeff k
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

That my friend, is just genius!
Old 01-23-2019, 08:43 AM
M Pete
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't know what I'm more impressed with. The impending V12, the flip down license plate, or the label maker with heat shrink tubing!

I didn't know they made Dynamo cartridges with that. I'm off to the store!
Old 01-23-2019, 11:04 AM
Jeff k
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I have to thank Richard too for the Dymo deal.
Soon as I saw that in his post, I hit Amazon and had one on the way. Richard spends my money faster than my ex!
The following users liked this post:
Dagious (09-17-2020)
Old 01-23-2019, 12:15 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

I just learned that a 9v will pull a led strip.....Can't wait to see it in person.....I promise I'll wear a bib to catch all the drool when I check it out.

Brian
Old 01-23-2019, 10:32 PM
Vitaminmopar
Burning Brakes

Received 334 Likes on 199 Posts

Richard, I noticed the rotor shield in the photo from post 304. Looks like it maybe making light contact with the rotor near the top just forward of the front of the caliper. I am excited whenever a new post arrives on this thread as it is a work of art. Might have to get one of those Dymo label makers. Love to see the progress, keep at it.

[/QUOTE]
Old 01-23-2019, 11:29 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by M Pete
I don't know what I'm more impressed with. The impending V12, the flip down license plate, or the label maker with heat shrink tubing!

I didn't know they made Dynamo cartridges with that. I'm off to the store!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Jeff k
That my friend, is just genius!

I have to thank Richard too for the Dymo deal.
Soon as I saw that in his post, I hit Amazon and had one on the way. Richard spends my money faster than my ex
Hmmm- my ex's parents were from Ohio....although now all my ex's live in Duplexes!!!

Glad I could get you to spend some money!!!

Originally Posted by Wee
I just learned that a 9v will pull a led strip.....Can't wait to see it in person.....I promise I'll wear a bib to catch all the drool when I check it out.

Brian
Thanks!!! I'll bring a microfiber....

Originally Posted by Vitaminmopar
Richard, I noticed the rotor shield in the photo from post 304. Looks like it maybe making light contact with the rotor near the top just forward of the front of the caliper. I am excited whenever a new post arrives on this thread as it is a work of art. Might have to get one of those Dymo label makers. Love to see the progress, keep at it.
Thank you...I'm still at it. I did bend that edge right next to the caliper back -

I think I'm going to call Dyno and see if I can get a commission!!!

I'm still not a 100% as far as my cold- flu crap...However I did find some time to fight with the carpet around the roll bar. Not sure if I want to put edging on the carpet around the roll bar cuts- or try to hide them...

Old 01-24-2019, 08:04 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 854 Likes on 625 Posts

Excellent work Richard! Love this thread!
Old 01-24-2019, 11:54 AM
davidbii
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

While I'm not going to be dropping in a v12, I did just drop $85 buying a labeler Great idea!
Old 01-24-2019, 02:08 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,656 Likes on 2,917 Posts

Hey Richard,
I'm looking for a roll bar like yours to install in my 73 build.
Did you make yours or did you purchase it?
Thanks

Last edited by OldCarBum; 01-24-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:40 AM
bluegtp
Drifting

Received 287 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Love the ideas you come up with and thanks for sharing. Looking good and keeping it clean!
Old 01-27-2019, 09:08 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

You do not want a Jag v12. They yank them from XJS and XJ12 cars to replace with small blocks for a reason. There are 6 criteria an engine has to meet: .size, weight, ease of repair, price-availability of parts, power output for weight, longevity. The Jag motor fails all of these. The Chevy small block passes them all.

Last edited by derekderek; 01-27-2019 at 09:09 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette V12?

Old 01-27-2019, 11:59 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 69ttop502

Excellent work Richard! Love this thread!
Thanks Bill- After looking over your build- that's a nice compliment!!!

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Hey Richard,
I'm looking for a roll bar like yours to install in my 73 build.
Did you make yours or did you purchase it?
Thanks
It was on the car when I bought it 38 years ago today!!! It's welded to the frame. Fits with the soft top and hardtop with no interference- did have to put a couple of reliefs in the decklid. If you need dimensions- I'll be glad to get them for you.

Originally Posted by bluegtp
Love the ideas you come up with and thanks for sharing. Looking good and keeping it clean!
THANKS !!!

Originally Posted by derekderek
You do not want a Jag v12. They yank them from XJS and XJ12 cars to replace with small blocks for a reason. There are 6 criteria an engine has to meet: .size, weight, ease of repair, price-availability of parts, power output for weight, longevity. The Jag motor fails all of these. The Chevy small block passes them all.

I went with a BMW engine. It's smaller than the big block that was in it- now I can change the plugs with ease. Weighs less then a small block. Parts? BMW still supplies OEM stuff for cars they built 50 years ago. Longevity? These engine used the Alusil not the dreaded Nikasil coatings on the piston walls- I have two V12 sitting in my basement with over 200K and the piston walls look brand new. The only things that sucked- twin distributors and twin ECUs- I have swapped them out - running LS coils and Megasquirt MS3 Pro ECU- both are pretty bullet proof..

The other reason they yanked the V12s out of Jags- Champagne tastes with beer budgets!!!

I am still finishing up the back of the interior-

The seat belts work great- so I'm making a cover for the retractors- which will tie into the quarter panel trim

Here's the first one out of the mold-needs to be cut down about and beefed up with some mat-

Still waiting on a couple parts- then hopefully buy next weekend have it started up!!!

The following users liked this post:
OldCarBum (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 11:43 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,656 Likes on 2,917 Posts

It was on the car when I bought it 38 years ago today!!! It's welded to the frame. Fits with the soft top and hardtop with no interference- did have to put a couple of reliefs in the decklid. If you need dimensions- I'll be glad to get them for you.
Quote:

Thanks,
I've seen a couple that are made for Corvettes and I'll keep hunting for one that I can pick up.
I don't have the equipment to build one myself.
Greg
Old 02-20-2019, 10:49 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Working on the wiring....

Been messing with a solution for a while on this one-

I have a E-stopp electric barking brake- the guys at E-Stopp would not give me ANY information on how to "customize" it-

Told them I just wanted to "change" out the switch- but no luck.

Even had a buddy of mine stop by their booth at SEMA and see if he could get any info...Nope!!!

Their switch just looks out of place in my interior - also have a nice looking billet one- but still not my cup of tea.

So- I just cut the "void if removed" sticker and looked inside...cut up some wires and figured out what was needed to incorporate a Mercedes Benz S550 electric parking brake switch-

A couple of Bosch relays and I'm there,

Pull out- disengages the parking brake- push in the button and it engages-

Will look good mounted on the lower dash-

Opps- I guess it's out of warranty!!

Here's my rear storage compartment relay bank-

Started out as a craftsman socket holder!!!

3M Carbon fiber wrap

Relays - fuses- fuel pump switch( to switch between primary and back-up ) PWM control for plate motor- and USB charger plug

The fuses light when blown- and three 'blown" ones to tell me the fuel pump is on(one or two) and if the roll over inertia switch is triggered. If the car won't run- in seconds I'll know if the pump is working

I'll label the box-as far as fuse size and what it controls-

Quick Reply: Corvette V12?