C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borgeson Install

Old 11-30-2018, 09:44 PM
george2066
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

small block, must be the brand of header, not a big deal putting in a dent, street car
Old 12-01-2018, 06:26 PM
slofut
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

JP, when you get it all installed let me know if you have any clearance issues between the drag link and the driver side lower control arm. I had about 1\16", not enough for me. Had to clearance the a-arm etc... Looks like a shorter Pitman arm is needed. Still, it works and feels good. I wouldn't change for a r&p.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:59 PM
rpoL98
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by slofut
Looks like a shorter Pitman arm is needed. Still, it works and feels good. I wouldn't change for a r&p.
pitman arm needs to be same length as idler arm to maintain geometry. I wonder if the Borgeson gear-box 3-bolt mount moves the box frontward a little bit. I have about 1/8" clearance between tie rod and A-arm with steering wheel turned over full left.

Last edited by rpoL98; 12-01-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:07 PM
squared
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Default measurements

I just put a Borgeson on mine and I'm doing a frame-off restomod so if you would like me to take some measurements on mine I can do that I have an LS1 engine in it though
Old 12-04-2018, 06:15 PM
jpattt24
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I got my Borgeson Box installed and fired up the car the box seems to work fine. except its leaking a little bit of fluid at the top of the box where the cap is with the 4 bolts in the top.

its leaking on one side towards the front and the bolts are tight. not sure if I can just take the 4 bolts out and lift the cap off of it and put some rtv on it or what ? the cap also has the little adjustment screw in it. I don't wont to mess up the adjustment ? any help would be appreciated. thanks jp
Old 12-04-2018, 06:19 PM
jpattt24
Instructor

JP, when you get it all installed let me know if you have any clearance issues between the drag link and the driver side lower control arm. I had about 1\16", not enough for me. Had to clearance the a-arm etc... Looks like a shorter Pitman arm is needed. Still, it works and feels good. I wouldn't change for a r&p.
Mine has about a 1/4 "but not hitting the control arm. im gonna try it and see if it hits hope not.

Last edited by jpattt24; 12-04-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:55 AM
Mitty
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jpattt24
I got my Borgeson Box installed and fired up the car the box seems to work fine. except its leaking a little bit of fluid at the top of the box where the cap is with the 4 bolts in the top.

its leaking on one side towards the front and the bolts are tight. not sure if I can just take the 4 bolts out and lift the cap off of it and put some rtv on it or what ? the cap also has the little adjustment screw in it. I don't wont to mess up the adjustment ? any help would be appreciated. thanks jp

Hi, I had a damaged seal on mine from the factory, the main shaft seal. I ordered a seal kit from rock auto for about $7.
Just straightened the steering wheel, undo the 4 bolts, and pull it out, obviously with the pitman arm removed, you can then replace the seal, just make sure you don’t rotate it so it goes back in the same. The pitman arm won’t go back on if it’s not in the right place, due to the keyway in the spline, so shouldn’t be able to get it wrong.
The following users liked this post:
jpattt24 (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 07:39 AM
jpattt24
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mitty

Hi, I had a damaged seal on mine from the factory, the main shaft seal. I ordered a seal kit from rock auto for about $7.
Just straightened the steering wheel, undo the 4 bolts, and pull it out, obviously with the pitman arm removed, you can then replace the seal, just make sure you don’t rotate it so it goes back in the same. The pitman arm won’t go back on if it’s not in the right place, due to the keyway in the spline, so shouldn’t be able to get it wrong.
so basicly you just remove the pitman arm. take the 4 bolts out the top. and lift the shaft out from the top. and replace the o-ring ? then set back in and tighten it up. ? that wont mess with the adjustment bolt on top of box ? as long as I don't have to adjust the adjuster it don't sound like much to it. ?
Old 12-05-2018, 08:51 AM
jpattt24
Instructor

so basicly you just remove the pitman arm. take the 4 bolts out the top. and lift the shaft out from the top. and replace the o-ring ? then set back in and tighten it up. ? that wont mess with the adjustment bolt on top of box ? as long as I don't have to adjust the adjuster it don't sound like much to it. ?
I called borgeson they said to inspect the o-ring in upper shaft or send back for repair. don't seem like there is much to replacing the o-ring they said get a pitman arm seal kit. for a 1999-2004 jeep grand Cherokee. autozone part # 7683 https://www.autozone.com/external-en...?checkfit=true
Old 12-05-2018, 12:00 PM
Mitty
Instructor

I called borgeson they said to inspect the o-ring in upper shaft or send back for repair. don't seem like there is much to replacing the o-ring they said get a pitman arm seal kit. for a 1999-2004 jeep grand Cherokee. autozone part # 7683 https://www.autozone.com/external-en...?checkfit=true

hi, that’s basically it, it’s not tricky. Only thing I suggest is putting tape over the splines that the pitman arm locate on, it’s easy to catch and damage the bottom seal with the sharp splines. As you’re not replacing the bottom seal stack, be a shame to damage it.
Here’s the rock auto part, second one down, it’s cheaper.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...haft+seal,7344

Last edited by Mitty; 12-05-2018 at 12:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jpattt24 (12-05-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 02:20 PM
jpattt24
Instructor

I pulled the sector shaft out today and found that the o-ring was perfect. but the bore in the box where the o-ring sits has a bad galge in it. as seen in pic. I put a new o-ring on it and cleaned it up good. put it back in car and it still leaked. im sending it back to jegs and they will credit me. I got a new one on the way should get it tomorrow afternoon via ups. and I will get it on the vet Saturday. hope this new one is good. also the o-ring in that kit was way to big ?

Old 12-06-2018, 02:22 PM
jpattt24
Instructor

mine has about a 1/4"
Old 12-06-2018, 02:29 PM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 139 Posts

I think the worst part of mine was getting the new pump and rag joint onto the steering shaft. I didnt even have a motor or tranny in the way, input my unit in with me kneeling in the engine bay and STILL had hell getting it in... i dont know how you guys make it seem so smooth lol.

Also I would highly recomend due to my personal experience with many borgeson units, after install you take some high quality clear coat paint, and spray everything with clear to eliminate rusting which WILL occur.

There are several pieces that are raw steel but hard to tell before rusting starts. The rag joints especially are raw steel, so do yourself a favor and clear it all.

My unit has been installed for 6 months now in a drafty shop and has had no rust or oxidizing of parts at all. We all hate putting in new parts only to discover they wernt coated and are now a lovely orange a few months later 🤬

btw, offtopic... but is the factory box's spline made from copper?!

Last edited by naramlee; 12-06-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:08 PM
Mitty
Instructor

That sucks.the more I read about these units, the more poor quality I’m seeing. And yes, mines rusting already, been in 3 months.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:08 PM
jpattt24
Instructor

Originally Posted by naramlee
I think the worst part of mine was getting the new pump and rag joint onto the steering shaft. I didnt even have a motor or tranny in the way, input my unit in with me kneeling in the engine bay and STILL had hell getting it in... i dont know how you guys make it seem so smooth lol.

Also I would highly recomend due to my personal experience with many borgeson units, after install you take some high quality clear coat paint, and spray everything with clear to eliminate rusting which WILL occur.

There are several pieces that are raw steel but hard to tell before rusting starts. The rag joints especially are raw steel, so do yourself a favor and clear it all.

My unit has been installed for 6 months now in a drafty shop and has had no rust or oxidizing of parts at all. We all hate putting in new parts only to discover they wernt coated and are now a lovely orange a few months later 🤬

I have a lift so not so bad I can do pretty easy although I don't want to. but no choice. yes I will clear the new box. thanks
Old 12-07-2018, 12:55 AM
rpoL98
Pro

Originally Posted by naramlee
copper? what makes you think that, because it's orange? that is the lovely color of RUST on bare steel, at least, on my 78. it's a rustic color, you know, the fall shades of autumn.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:52 AM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rpoL98
copper? what makes you think that, because it's orange? that is the lovely color of RUST on bare steel, at least, on my 78. it's a rustic color, you know, the fall shades of autumn.
pfft what fall shades, all our leaves are on the ground and wet lol

I cant sleep, but I really don't want to go drive down to the shop to take a picture, but the splines are copper colored and SOFT, I nicked one with my knife just because It looked like copper and I was like "naaaaaaaaaahhhhhh" then I was like oh crap... it nicked and was that pink/orange color of copper

*edit* found a pic

Last edited by naramlee; 12-07-2018 at 01:57 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Borgeson Install

Old 12-07-2018, 03:39 AM
rpoL98
Pro

sorry, thought you were referring to the steering shaft, instead of the steering gear box shaft.

Last edited by rpoL98; 12-07-2018 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:16 PM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rpoL98
sorry, thought you were referring to the steering shaft, instead of the steering gear box shaft.
i didnt really explain that well, thats why i should be posting late at night 🤣🤣
Old 12-08-2018, 12:07 AM
rpoL98
Pro

and that's why I also, shouldn't be replying late at night, the pic is so obviously, clearly, bigger than daylight, a pic of the pitman arm splined shaft. duh!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Borgeson Install