C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leak Checks

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 06:24 PM
Frankp57
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted to thank Bill Curlee and everyone else on the Forum that posted about the water leak problems. I was ready to sell the car because of the leak until I came across this forum and read Bill’s post about the water leaks. I checked the single drain tube on the passenger side of the windshield cowl and it was clogged. The car is dry now and I am happy that I can keep my baby. Thanks again to everyone for the help. You gained a loyal member.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (05-09-2019)
Old 07-13-2007, 12:13 PM
The Z Beast
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm probably not the only one that got water in a vette, but it was running fine when I had parked it. I had driven it through some flash flood rain storms that day and I hit some serious water, hell I couldn’t half see it was coming down so hard.

A couple of days later I noticed the windows steamed up, but I didn't even know water was in it when I parked it, and there was water in the drivers side floorboard.

Also, Reduced Power, Low fuel, Check engine soon, scrolls across the screen and the door locks, seat memory and ignition wouldn't work.

I got it dried up, disconnected the battery and started pulling fuses to see if any was blown. I found an ignition fuse that came apart when I pulled it. I thought that may be the problem so I put a new fuse it, reconnected the battery and the problem was solved.

I let it sit a couple of days, got in it to go somewhere and now it’s back the way it was.

Somehow I reset something by disconnecting the battery and pulling the fusses but I didn't fix the problem.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I could sure use some help here.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:54 PM
The Z Beast
2nd Gear

My Codes are;
10 PCM No Com
28 TCS NO COM
40 BCM NO COM
58 SDM NO COM
60 IPC NO COM
80 RADIO NO COM
99 HVAC NO COM
AO LDCM NO COM
A1 RDCM NO COM
Old 07-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

All your modules are NOT communicating with each other. You most likely have a serial data buss ground. Theres two STAR serial buss connectors next to your BCM in the passengers foot well. It has a ground buss jumper on each connector. Remove them both and read each wire to ground. If one reads close to zero ohms. theres your problem.

There the snall thin grey connectors with the black wires.

Pull the top part of the connector off (ground jumper) and read the connector terminals to ground.

BC
CorvetteBrent (05-09-2019)
Old 07-29-2007, 11:42 PM
MadMaxZ06
Racer

Awesome info., thanks everyone.
- Max
Old 08-30-2007, 11:47 AM
mdefede
1st Gear

Default Woul this also apply to a 1996 C4?

Im having the same problem, my car has been in the shop fpr 2 weeks and the mechanic cant find out where the water is coming in, not to mention that he let me car sit in the rain for a week and now the whole passenger side carpet is wet?
Old 09-10-2007, 02:16 PM
jdgun_0013
Racer

yeah went thru this whole series of cleaning vents and washing the carpet and all was well, till this week.
Now the car is getting water into the passenger side AGAIN!!!!
Looks like i need to remove the battery and check everything out again.
Good thing i just re-oiled my ac/heater motor, as now it is wet...
Damn just what i needed as i am looking to sell the car.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:45 AM
Showdown
Pro

Old 12-19-2007, 09:42 AM
BrandonAGr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am in the process of trying to fix all of the leaks on the driver's side in my 98 coupe. Currently I have the carpet and all the trim along the door and a pillar pulled out. There is water coming in from three places that I can see, one I know for sure, from a tear in the weatherstripping at the top of the b pillar in the usual place: http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_07.../photo_01.html. Another one seems to be where the hood release cables go through the firewall.

The final one is the large one, it seems to be coming out of the bottom on the inside of the weatherstripping down the outside of the a pillar. It looks like condition 4 in http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...aterleak+Guide, however I have resealed it like it says and I still seem to have water coming in from the bottom of the a pillar. Even with it sealed like it says, I don't see how water running down the front edge of the window is supposed to exit. Has anyone else been able to fix a leak from here, how?

Last edited by BrandonAGr; 12-19-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:34 PM
talon46
Instructor

Default both driver and passenger windows lead

Looks like its from the seal or weather stripping from the removaable top, I am going to remove the painted one and put in the tinted one. and see if it does the same thing drivers side drips way more then the passenger like 20-25 drop to maybe 5 from the passenger window area same leak i suspect.

Is it more then likely a weather stipign issue I checked the drivers side its not dry rotted just not sealing.??

Any suggestions.

FOund out driving the car to work for the first time, got in it to go home rain storm all day, water inside, and dripped consistantly the whole way home. Defintiely coming from the removable top. IS this normal.

Thanks

James
Old 03-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by talon46
Looks like its from the seal or weather stripping from the removaable top, I am going to remove the painted one and put in the tinted one. and see if it does the same thing drivers side drips way more then the passenger like 20-25 drop to maybe 5 from the passenger window area same leak i suspect.

Is it more then likely a weather stipign issue I checked the drivers side its not dry rotted just not sealing.??

Any suggestions.

FOund out driving the car to work for the first time, got in it to go home rain storm all day, water inside, and dripped consistantly the whole way home. Defintiely coming from the removable top. IS this normal.

Thanks

James

James

Corvettes do not normally leak. They are tested in a TORRENT of rain at the factory right off the assembly line. If there were any leaks, they would have been sent to the repair area fixed and tested again.

Leaks happen for a number of different reasons:

Torn seals
Deteriorated seals
Improperly adjusted top latches
Deformation due to an accident

The seals should be easy to check. Flip the top over and examine them.

The NEXT thing is to adjust the latch catch lip on the windshield header. It has two screws that can be loosened and the latch can be lowered a LITTLE AT A TIME until you get a tight seal. I would mark the present position before moving the catch.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Old 03-21-2008, 09:39 AM
talon46
Instructor

Default thanks for the info

I will look into to it I changed out the tops last night for the tinted glass one, will hose it down to see if it still leaks, that would imply it was the painted top that had an issue. I will let you know what I find.

James
Old 03-21-2008, 09:41 AM
talon46
Instructor

Default to be a little bit more specific

The windows are not leaking up front by the windshield its actually dripping down the middle where the top seal meets the front part of the windshield seal, thats kinda of in the middle of the window. I checked both sides lastnight neither seems to be dry rotted, let me know if the set screw adjustment you mentions still apllies.

Thanks
James will check into that
Old 03-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Yes it does. You can use compressed air and blow air from the outside in to see if you have a leak also. You can also put a dollar bill between the top and the windshield header and slide it across. If you get a spot with little or no resistance, thats where it needs to be drawn down tighter. You need to be careful adjusting the lock down lip. If you move it too much, either the latch wont lock down OR you could damage the latch if you have to apply too much force to get it to lock!

I really believe that all you need to do is adjust that latch lip.

BC
Old 03-21-2008, 05:32 PM
adam205348
Burning Brakes

I have searched this thread and the entire forum and can't find anything on my particular leak. So Bill PLEASE HELP!!!!. I have a 2002 Z06 and it is leaking from the passenger side up by the A-Pillar, Sunvisor connection point. I think the water is coming in from the Water channel that is part of the roof and I talked to the chevy dealership and they said that is not UNcommon. I have not had them look at it yet so I wanted to see if anyone "BILL" had any advice or possible knowledge of this problem. The water is coming in so much that is it soaking into the headliner right in front of the sunvisor and starts to drip at a pretty steady pass and I can use shop towels to soak up the water but it just comes back within 5 mins or less depending on how hard it is raining. The Weather striping for the window looks fine and is not broken, cut, rotted or anything else. I will try to get a pic of the area I am talking about. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:32 PM
CaddyJimz06
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vZ9p5_YSGt8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vZ9p5_YSGt8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 04-07-2008, 07:23 AM
DocPapillon
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default 2004 Coupe Water Leak

Bill, see if you can help me with this one, please:

2004 Coupe, a member of the Flying Roof Club - so I have a new top (about 2 years old)..

The water leak is noted only during car washing.

Water drips (rains) from the holes that are on the coupe top, the holes right next to the window glass. The water drips (rains!) both fore and aft.

Tell me if you need any further information to diagnose the problem.

Thanks in advance!

(Interesting post note: I have also noted during hard acceleration that water squirts into the passenger compartment from the rubber gasket at the top of the A-pillar on the driver's side - the water squirts out of the space between where the coupe top rubber slides into the A-pillar rubber. Any ideas??)

Thanks again. Barry

Get notified of new replies

To Leak Checks

Old 04-25-2008, 07:31 AM
ramairbrc
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default bad link

Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe
Bill Curlee,

Excellent information and pictures! Thank you.

Here is a link to a C5 general waterleak guide TSB: http://corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/q....php?qstId=208

Thanks again.
404 error:

The page you were looking for has either moved or no longer exists. Please use the navigation system above to find the page you were looking for.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:34 AM
JOSHinHAWAII
Intermediate

Hey Guys,

I read the thread (good stuff, all of it... thanks alot) and checked out the action guide. Not sure where my problem lies, but I think its outside of all those conditions listed.

Here is the issue: when I am nose up, even slightly say in a drive way or parking lot, and its raining, I get a substantial amount of water coming in on the driver's side dripping down from the steering column or just behind it. I checked the "3 udders" on the driver side and there was gunk in there that I cleaned out, but that did not solve the issue. When I'm nose down, I'm dryer than the Sahara desert.

I'm planning on doing a tear down on my interior this weekend to do some audio work, and would like to get this problem resolved so that I need not worry about always backing into my drive way. Hopefully I can get some help.

Thanks in advance,
Josh
Dave70 (04-13-2016)
Old 05-19-2008, 11:50 AM
MagneticRed1977
Racer

Thanks Bill for the great info- now I know what a udder is when it is talked about.

Quick Reply: Leak Checks