C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TTIX, Forged 408 Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:47 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Still waiting on pretty much everything (block, heads, turbos being rebuilt, cold side parts) and it's all due to be done next week. In the mean time I knew I needed more than a 2 bar MAP. I initially got the 3.3 bar deisel MAP but then realized that the E40 will not allow linear parameters greater than 2.5 bar so I was going to get one from Perry @ DPECorvettes.com but then I found the thread where he detailed the sensor he uses and how to do it: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...nsor-pics.html so I ordered the smaller form factor of the same sensor from Digikey for $14. Datasheet for both versions of the sensor: http://www.freescale.com/files/senso...t/MPX4250A.pdf

My old 1 bar MAP hogged out for the new sensor:

The new sensor fits great after bending off the un-needed pins (one still needs to be removed here) and drilling out the nipple of the old housing so the nipple of the new sensor fits inside it.

All wired up. Not much room and my soldering skills with my $10 Radio Shack soldering iron leave something to be desired. But it'll do the job. Just need to pour some epoxy in there.

This was a ~three beer job and pretty fun. And I'll end up making money on it after I sell my 2 bar MAP.

I can't test it yet though because the battery is out of the car. Stay tuned for that.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:11 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Something else I started was relocating my battery to the rear. I wanted to do this for a few reasons:

1, I need something to do until parts show up.
2. The passenger side turbo is right next to the starter. I have a starter blanket for it but I've already had trouble with the plastic part of the solenoid where the fuse box and alternator meet at the starter getting brittle and causing charging issues: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...-solenoid.html so I wanted to lessen the amount of wires down there and make sure that if the solenoid does that again it will only affect starting and not charging. So I'll run the battery and alternator right to the fuse box and only have one wire from the fuse box to the starter.
3. The added weight from the iron block, turbos and intercooler will make the nose pretty heavy. Moving the battery to the back helps to restore a little weight balance.

I took queues from Sarreco, Cencal and CarlRX7: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...-pictures.html

My Autozone battery was leaking at the terminal so when I pro-rated it I swapped it out for the smallest one they had that met the cranking requirements. Its a little shorter and a little wider but smaller overall so I can't say whether this exact setup would work with a stock battery. Carl pointed me at Summit for the kit. Lots of guys use 0/1 GA but I decided 2GA was good enough and got their SUM-G1220A kit with 20' of positive 2GA, 3' of negative 2GA, lugs already attached and some other misc. stuff. It came a little differently than pictured, actually had more stuff like the battey box strap.

I made a hold down for the strap with some flat stock I had.

Underside:

Drilled holes for the wires.

Looks pretty good IMO.

Ground wire with crimped on lug with lots of solder melted inside bolted to existing hole in the frame drilled out and tapped for larger bolt after gringing the surrounding area.

Thats as far as I got tonight.

Last edited by 5 Liter Eater; 01-26-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:25 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Good work Bill. I use dei gold self adhesive reflector stuff and works very well. I wrapped harnesses that run on both sides of the block. Oh btw good find on e40 limit!
Old 01-25-2012, 11:34 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Thanks Nick. Yea I got a bunch of heat wrap sleeves and tape. Really I had wanted to move the alternator off the starter for a while anyway.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:49 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

are you just running a new wire bill? or extending the stock one to reach the fusebox? make sure to include the fusible link whichever way you go. dont forget to run a ground from the block to the frame up front..

-Carl

ps. thanks for mentioning me twice! =P
Old 01-26-2012, 02:51 AM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Good progress Bill. Relocating battery to the rear compartment is on my list as well not for anything else but hopes for tad better traction.

Zero issues here with Perry's sensor and starter with the passenger side turbo for almost 20k spoolin' miles with battery in factory location
Old 01-26-2012, 09:51 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by carlrx7
are you just running a new wire bill? or extending the stock one to reach the fusebox? make sure to include the fusible link whichever way you go. dont forget to run a ground from the block to the frame up front..

-Carl

ps. thanks for mentioning me twice! =P
It'll be all new wire. So new wires from the alternator to fuse box, new wire from the starter to the fuse box and a new ground from the motor to the frame.

I'll have to look into the fusable link.

PS: Fixed the double mention.

Last edited by 5 Liter Eater; 01-26-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:54 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by FactoryRaceCar
Good progress Bill. Relocating battery to the rear compartment is on my list as well not for anything else but hopes for tad better traction.

Zero issues here with Perry's sensor and starter with the passenger side turbo for almost 20k spoolin' miles with battery in factory location
Yea I know I could probably keep the starter/alternator wiring stock and not have a problem but my last go-around with the lug loosening up and causing charging issues has me paranoid about it.

I know as well as you do that Perry's sensors work.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:03 PM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Well I'll just mention it, but those batteries don't have a way to vent them to the atmosphere. I know its probably not a big deal, but just thought i'd mention it. The C6 ZO6's have a specific battery vented to the atmosphere etc... But I know a million people have done it with out venting them in the F-bodies and Vettes, and haven't had issues and I am sure you won't, but wanted to mention it anyways. Looks good Bill
Old 01-26-2012, 08:20 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by inspector12
Well I'll just mention it, but those batteries don't have a way to vent them to the atmosphere. I know its probably not a big deal, but just thought i'd mention it. The C6 ZO6's have a specific battery vented to the atmosphere etc... But I know a million people have done it with out venting them in the F-bodies and Vettes, and haven't had issues and I am sure you won't, but wanted to mention it anyways. Looks good Bill
Jeff, did you want to mention something?
Old 01-27-2012, 02:11 AM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Yeah I guess I should have read it all the way through when I typed it lol!
Old 02-03-2012, 12:44 AM
4SELLL
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill What's the fuel system gonna be in the car twins and ?
Old 02-08-2012, 12:17 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by 4SELLL
Bill What's the fuel system gonna be in the car twins and ?
For now I'm sticking with the twin Walbros in the stock bucket. It will probably tap out at ~800ish, we'll see. Later I think I'll add the UPP fuel system and would like to set it up boost referenced.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:21 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Picking up the block and heads from the Wop Shop tomorrow. So I'll have some updates on the motor assembly soon. Parts delay from turbonetics to rebuild the turbos as well as building the .82 AR housings.

I was able to get in on swapping intercoolers with Jeff @ TPE. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...still-new.html

Here's a pic of the stock one VS: the new one I got from Jeff.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a nice difference in the intercooler size.. The last time I spoke to Turbonetics they said they could upgrade the compressor wheel to a 62-1. You might want to consider.

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
Picking up the block and heads from the Wop Shop tomorrow. So I'll have some updates on the motor assembly soon. Parts delay from turbonetics to rebuild the turbos as well as building the .82 AR housings.

I was able to get in on swapping intercoolers with Jeff @ TPE. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...still-new.html

Here's a pic of the stock one VS: the new one I got from Jeff.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:07 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Bill nice beastly cooler....
Old 02-08-2012, 09:27 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Vince99FRC
The last time I spoke to Turbonetics they said they could upgrade the compressor wheel to a 62-1. You might want to consider.
Hmmm. I wonder how they'd do that; the inlet is only 58mm. Anyway I'm done spending money on this build for now.

Get notified of new replies

To TTIX, Forged 408 Build

Old 02-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

When you get a chance call Reggie.

Hmmm. I wonder how they'd do that; the inlet is only 58mm. Anyway I'm done spending money on this build for now.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

Actually the inlet is 2.75" and that equals 69.85mm

Old 02-09-2012, 07:43 AM
SouthTexasBully
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lookin good Bill....good stuff in here...the bully is tuned in..

Quick Reply: TTIX, Forged 408 Build