C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Did you take action?
Yes, I think its the right thing to do!
68.71%
No, I haven't the time for this.
31.29%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Service Active Handling - Consumer Action

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 04:14 PM
abstruse1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 2011 Grand Sport, I've gotten a DIC warning that I don't think is the same as theones covered in this thread, but it might relate. I get "Service ride control" and "158 mph maximum speed" messages, along with an occasional "service electrical system" message. There are no hard codes set.

A sorta wild guess is that the ride control issue started when the car was on my lift -- all wheels off ground -- and I cranked it up a few times in the process of finishing an E-force installation.

The car does nothing strange, just the DIC messages. I can reset them with the reset button, but they always come back on in 10 minutes.

Dealer was perplexed and took the "Hmmm...it's got aftermarket stuff...we dunno." position.

My main question -- does this have anything to do with the AHS, etc. subject of this thread, or should I look elsewhere for info. Thanx, guys!
Old 06-27-2011, 09:38 AM
iDoLiZeDbyALL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well...guess I can join the club! I have an 08 (non telascoping) with 7200miles on it and SAH came up during my trip out of town. The brakes didnt suddenly activate like many have described. I am still in awe that this problem has been going on this long and still no resolve from GM. WHY HASNT A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT BEEN FILED?!?!?!?!?

From what I can tell...the comb, yaw sensor, SWPS nor anything else is a permanent fix as of yet? I see the NHTSA investigation was for 05-08 but the recall is only 05-06.

I can still turn the traction control off and on but no Comp Mode or AH. Is it still safe to drive the car?

I'm fixing to call my local dealer and several others to see who has had the most experience with this problem. I will report back later with my findings.

UPDATE: Called one of the local dealerships, The Corvette Tech there said they've had several come in with the SAH issue. He really didnt describe the exact cause or fixed issue b/c he said theres been numerous reasons. Not all are the same. Cant get it into the dealer til July 6th. Car is still under warranty so, no out of pocket expense! Yay! I have aftermarket rims, guess I will take those off and put the stocks back on til afterwards just so they dont try to blame it on them and not uphold the warranty!

Last edited by iDoLiZeDbyALL; 06-27-2011 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Update
Old 06-27-2011, 01:48 PM
abstruse1
Instructor

Well, I read thru this lengthy thread and was concerned, but SAH doesn't seem to be the same thing as the ride control message I'm getting.

Of course, they may overlap.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:13 AM
jims01vette
Intermediate

Default Same problem

Originally Posted by tim87tr
i will file a complaint for this serious problem, in addition to the roof complaint i already filed (gm would not repair my roof that was about to fly off due to a previous "repair").

My active handling activates almost weekly at lower speeds while turning, even with the traction control off. The problem is it locks up the front brakes!! While this may not sound too serious at low speeds, imagine pulling out into traffic and the brakes lock up on your car. It occurs pulling onto grass or loose gravel also, especially in turns. I have to turn the car off and restart it for it to move again.

The problem first occurred last fall and i finally addressed it with the local gm shop with tsb 06-02-35-0002b on 1/2/09 ($88.15 service), which added a clip to the swpc connector. It did not correct the problem long term. I do have stock size street tires on my car also.
tim87, this is starting to happen to me on my 01 with 30,000 miles on it. Sent ebcm to be repaired and still have same problem. I will contact the people listed. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:45 PM
KarlK
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by KarlK
My last visit in for this problem was November. The GM engineer told the dealer to bypass a couple wires from the TCM to the ECM and run two new wires. Not sure which wires they were.

Wires were not run through the body but right down the torque tube tunnel. Wire had to be twisted/coiled so they were the same length as the originals. Puters detect voltage difference if not the same length.

Been a couple of months, several hundred miles and no SAH or STC yet or archived codes.

REPAIR NOTES:

Field Engineer inspected vehicle on XX/XX for repeat condition of communication faults. U2100, U2108, U2105, U2106 all stored in BCM with U2100 stored in EBCM. instructed to run new communication circuits from BCM to TCM using twisted pair 20 gauge TXL wire with soldering terminal ends on both sides. Restrung circuits 2500 and 2501 high speed GMLAN + and - communication terminals 2 and 20 at BCM C2 to TCM connector terminal 13 and 14. Routed new harness external to existing harness through bulkhead pass throughdown rear of engine, along torque tube to TCM. Secured harness with tie straps and placed in conduit for additional protection. Cleared codes and road tested."
UPDATE:

Well, it's been about 7 months now and a few thousand miles and no SAH or STC codes since the November re-wire.

The above may have been the fix this time.

Taking a road trip to CA this week, we'll see.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Human
5th Gear

Well just happened to me on the way home from work.
09' C6 LT4

Service active handling warning, then service traction control, then reduced power showed up on dic. Power was cut to throttle and was just able to get her off onto a side road.

No amount of fiddling with the buttons or restarts did anything. I'll let you know what Willsonville Chevy in Oregon reply is.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Human
5th Gear

Update:

Still under warranty, GM roadside was good at getting flatbed to come pick it up. Willsonville (Eathan) knew about the problem and they are going to get it right in. Should get it back today or tomorrow.

Worrying thing about all this is that I was unable to turn off the TC by holding down the button for 5 or 30+ seconds so was unable to drive it at all.

Also when I was rolling it down the tow truck it almost felt like it had power in reverse however, didn't have space to test it out though (almost ended up through glass doors).
Old 07-01-2011, 11:29 AM
VetteCop29
Racer

I have had my C6 '05 with 90K miles for 6 days. While driving to traffic court this morning on I 40, the" service active handling" warning came on. I have been reading and would have thought the previous owners would have addressed this, but apparently not. What is my first step?
Old 07-01-2011, 11:33 AM
iDoLiZeDbyALL
Instructor

Originally Posted by memphiscop
I have had my C6 '05 with 90K miles for 6 days. While driving to traffic court this morning on I 40, the" service active handling" warning came on. I have been reading and would have thought the previous owners would have addressed this, but apparently not. What is my first step?
The 05-06's had a recall on them. Call your local dealership, give them your VIN and see if you can still get it fixed.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:04 AM
Human
5th Gear

Update: problem resolved.

Wilsonville was good about getting it fixed. It turns out it was the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (or APPS).

Hope this helps others.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:58 PM
VetteCop29
Racer

I was just driving my '05 Corvette Coupe 55 mph on I 40, when a "Flat Left Tire" flashed. Then the airbag sensor showed red, and the "Service active handling" came on. I have no flat. It cleared after pulling to the side of the road, turning off the vehicle, and restarting. Local Chevy dealer has said "The problem was already addressedin 2010" but wants to "check it out".....what the heck?
Old 07-10-2011, 07:02 PM
iDoLiZeDbyALL
Instructor

Got my Vette back Friday and heres what my invoice said....
Scan DTC Code C0136 EBCM shorted from pressure switch H2505 module, electronic brake and/or traction control four wheel anti lock replace

Part# 89060341 Module KI
25743362 Sensor

So far so good. Took the car a total of 300mi yesterday and today on the some of the curviest roads around and no problems yet. I'm Considering extending my warranty through GMPP for another 5yrs 50000mi simply bc $2000 to cover the car 5 more years is much cheaper than risking not having the warranty and spending that or more on something major breaking!
Old 07-12-2011, 04:01 PM
prestostark
Heel & Toe

Wow - what a thread. I just got done dealing with the rocker arm bearing problem on my '07-Z and now this. WTF? I have had no issues with sudden braking or any codes/messages since buying the car, but now I am worrying again that it is just a matter of time before some other crazy engineering short coming kills me, the car or both. I read the thread after completing a 362 mile twisting, turning mountain road trip with my 15 year-old son. Woulda felt like a real schmuck if we had the front end lock up on a turn and plunged off a cliff...Guess I'm headed under the dash.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:15 AM
iDoLiZeDbyALL
Instructor

Originally Posted by prestostark
Wow - what a thread. I just got done dealing with the rocker arm bearing problem on my '07-Z and now this. WTF? I have had no issues with sudden braking or any codes/messages since buying the car, but now I am worrying again that it is just a matter of time before some other crazy engineering short coming kills me, the car or both. I read the thread after completing a 362 mile twisting, turning mountain road trip with my 15 year-old son. Woulda felt like a real schmuck if we had the front end lock up on a turn and plunged off a cliff...Guess I'm headed under the dash.
Just hold down the button for about 8secs and our the traction control and active handling of all the time. Now that I got mine fixed, that's what I do! No worries!
Old 07-13-2011, 11:58 AM
prestostark
Heel & Toe

GM Parts Service Online sells the "comb" part #19179794 for $2.75 plus shipping - another 6 bucks. If that really takes care of the problem, along with strain relief on the harness, that's a pretty cheap fix. Let's just hope it works!
Old 07-20-2011, 03:17 PM
AvidFan
Burning Brakes

We've been dealing with the Service Active Handling warning coming on and off for about 18 months on our 07. The problem is it resets itself when you turn the car off and restart then it would go months before it happened again. Finally it got to where the brake lights stayed on all the time, the cruise control wouldn't work, but SAH light didn't always come on and when it did you'd have to restart 3-4 times to get it to go off.

So I tookit into the dealer on Monday and of course everything is working perfect when I leave the house and get there. They decided it was a brake switch and a couple of terminal connections had gotten spread so it wasn't making a good connection. Called me and said come get the car.

I left the dealer, drove exactly one block and hit the brakes for a red light. "ding ding" "service active handling" Turned around, took it back and didn't kill it so it couldn't reset. Loved the look on the service guy's face when I pulled in, pointed at him and then at the car (you-get over here!) Hopefully it will have some codes they can use that will get this fixed.

The only thing I did when I got in the car was adjust the steering wheel .
Old 07-20-2011, 04:53 PM
prestostark
Heel & Toe

Default One more step

Okay. Just got done doing the NVL_AV8R repair job on the SWPS plug. The information and photos that Tony included were extremely helpful - in fact, I probably would not have attempted the job without his references. Thanks for that, Tony. One thing I did in addition was to put a zip tie around the heavy harness bundle that the SWPS leads come out of, just to support that whole mess. In my '07, it was just kind of drooping down, helping to add strain to the SWPS wires and plug. I just used a nice, long zip tie and went around that metal bar that is between the main harness and the SWPS plug and cinched it up to help support it. That gained me about an extra inch of wire for the SWPS plug. Now it doesn't get any strain at all, even with the wheel fully extended. Let's hope that will prevent the problem from ever happening...

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active Handling - Consumer Action

Old 07-22-2011, 11:30 AM
jims01vette
Intermediate

Default Sah

Originally Posted by avidfan
we've been dealing with the service active handling warning coming on and off for about 18 months on our 07. The problem is it resets itself when you turn the car off and restart then it would go months before it happened again. Finally it got to where the brake lights stayed on all the time, the cruise control wouldn't work, but sah light didn't always come on and when it did you'd have to restart 3-4 times to get it to go off.

So i tookit into the dealer on monday and of course everything is working perfect when i leave the house and get there. They decided it was a brake switch and a couple of terminal connections had gotten spread so it wasn't making a good connection. Called me and said come get the car.

I left the dealer, drove exactly one block and hit the brakes for a red light. "ding ding" "service active handling" Turned around, took it back and didn't kill it so it couldn't reset. Loved the look on the service guy's face when i pulled in, pointed at him and then at the car (you-get over here!) hopefully it will have some codes they can use that will get this fixed.

The only thing i did when i got in the car was adjust the steering wheel .
avid, you being a senior member do you know how to get the codes from the dic? Thats where i retrieved mine and it kept pointing to the steering sensor. (swps) repalced it and all is good. I have a 01 and the codes were 1287-1288. Hey and where is tall tx?
Old 07-22-2011, 02:20 PM
AvidFan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jims01vette
avid, you being a senior member do you know how to get the codes from the dic? Thats where i retrieved mine and it kept pointing to the steering sensor. (swps) repalced it and all is good. I have a 01 and the codes were 1287-1288. Hey and where is tall tx?
Tall City Tx is another name for Midland.

I may be a senior member but point me in the direction to get the instructions on how to get codes from the dic. I spend most my time in OT.

This time because the SAHS was lit and the car still running they were able to plug it in and pull codes. When I took it in on Monday everything was working after not working all weekend. It's acting exactly like In2Fun's (see page 21) and it did throw a BCM code. They didn't mention anything about a SWPS code, but the SW said the S-Tech got alot of info this time off the car. Because it threw the BCM code they have decided to replace it, but we're having to wait on one to come in. They also showed me where the BCM is located since apparently tapping it can do a temporary fix regarding the brake light issue.

In the meantime the brake lights didn't stay on, the cruise control worked, and SAHS didn't chime in when I exited the interstate and hit the brakes on the 20 mile drive home. So we're in a wait-n-see mode again!
Old 07-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by AvidFan
Tall City Tx is another name for Midland.

I may be a senior member but point me in the direction to get the instructions on how to get codes from the dic. I spend most my time in OT.

This time because the SAHS was lit and the car still running they were able to plug it in and pull codes. When I took it in on Monday everything was working after not working all weekend. It's acting exactly like In2Fun's (see page 21) and it did throw a BCM code. They didn't mention anything about a SWPS code, but the SW said the S-Tech got alot of info this time off the car. Because it threw the BCM code they have decided to replace it, but we're having to wait on one to come in. They also showed me where the BCM is located since apparently tapping it can do a temporary fix regarding the brake light issue.

In the meantime the brake lights didn't stay on, the cruise control worked, and SAHS didn't chime in when I exited the interstate and hit the brakes on the 20 mile drive home. So we're in a wait-n-see mode again!

The C6 lacks the ability to retreive the DTCs from the DIC like you can in a C5. You have to use a diagnostic scanner to get the DTCs.

BC

Quick Reply: Service Active Handling - Consumer Action