7 Reasons to Pick a Manual Corvette Over an Automatic
Time for someone else to chime in on the whole automatic transmission versus manual feud. Surprise, surprise, I take favor with the manual transmission. Though I have great respect for, and have spent a lot of time with the A8 that’s in the new C7, I’d still pick the manual gearbox fifteen times out of ten.
Here’s seven good reasons why:
1. You get an extra gear compared with most lowly 6-speed manuals. Sure it’s one down from the automatic, but the only other company offering a 7-speed manual is the obscure German brand, Porsche.
2. You don’t have to be an expert at driving manuals. You might be able to move around and not stall, but have you ever done heel-toe down shifting? Not to worry, there’s still time to do that clever down-shift rev match for you.
3. Your significant other might not want to drive it. Or might not be able to. If your marriage survives the purchase of a car that your spouse can’t drive, then at least you have the solace of knowing only your meaty hands will caress the steering wheel.
4. If reason number three is not valid to you, that means you found a keeper. If your wife can drive manual and wanted you to buy a Corvette, then there’s really no room to complain here.
5. It’s more engaging from a pure driver’s perspective. Perhaps automatics are indeed the faster option these days, but sometimes you just want to stomp on the clutch, drop a gear, and disappear.
6. It will do what you want it to do, each time, every time, as mentioned in number five. Although the automatic can be used in manual mode, the manual gearbox has one setting. It’s called “Whatever you want to do.”
7. You aren’t lazy and actually enjoy the process. Clutch zealots will assure you that city driving is not the automotive gulag that it is made out to be.
Those are just a few of the many reasons why I prefer stirring around my own gears. Perhaps you’d like to add your own opinion?
Chime in with your thoughts on the forum. >>