Sponsored by:

Doorgunner's '68 Convertible Project

Old 10-09-2015, 02:56 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
My best hopes that he pulls through OK....
Thanks Paul....if you make a trip to the ice cream shop....eat a scoop of your favorite for him.

Last edited by doorgunner; 10-11-2015 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:33 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

Is hoisting a beer close enough?
Old 10-09-2015, 03:35 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Thanks Paul....if you make a trip to the ice cream shop....eat a scoop of your favorite for him.
That isn't going to happen but I wish I could. It will be 32*F (0*C) tonight.

Hang in there. I have experienced a lot of family health issues lately. It sure does test your blood pressure. But I am sure he will be fine. Keep us in the know.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:32 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by derekderek
Is hoisting a beer close enough?

Hang in there. I have experienced a lot of family health issues lately. It sure does test your blood pressure. But I am sure he will be fine. Keep us in the know.
Thanks for the thoughts. prayer. beers.........LOL!

He is in recovery now.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:37 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

He is in recovery now.
So he came through surgery. Excellent news!
Old 10-09-2015, 09:02 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

He is in recovery now.
That's great news Tony!!!
Old 10-09-2015, 09:57 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Great news!
Old 10-09-2015, 10:45 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Men.....we just got home from the hospital after stopping for a late supper!
Old 10-10-2015, 09:34 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Whew.....hospitals wear a person out.....even the visitors! since father-in-law is doing better with those 5 bags of medication and fluid going into 4 different ports in his arms (OUCH), and my wife is too worn out from worrying the last two days..........then back to the hospital to see how his legs are looking/improving (numerous life-threatening blood clots/could not walk....which is frightening since he's 6'4" and loves the outdoors).

So thanks again for the thoughts and prayers.....God, being a Father, always answers......sometime with a "Yes"/sometimes with a "No".

I'm going to the garage now and prep the donor tail light clip for bonding and painting. I'll be back with progress pics in a couple hours.......before you go back to the hospital.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:37 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Stay tough Paul......we want to see you and that Vette enjoy many more miles and years!
Old 10-10-2015, 07:21 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 321 Posts

Glad to hear that your father-in-law is doing well now, Tony. My wife has severe blood clot blockages in both of her legs. Lou.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:37 PM
derekderek
Race Director

For the most part life doesn't suck. Those of us who can have acquaintences on this site aren't scrambling for dinner and rent. But there is only one sure fire cure for aging. I am gonna pass on it as long as i can. And i hope all of us can enjoy our lives and toys for a long time.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:17 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by loup68
Glad to hear that your father-in-law is doing well now, Tony. My wife has severe blood clot blockages in both of her legs. Lou.
P.M. sent.

For the most part life doesn't suck. Those of us who can have acquaintences on this site aren't scrambling for dinner and rent. But there is only one sure fire cure for aging. I am gonna pass on it as long as i can. And i hope all of us can enjoy our lives and toys for a long time.
Good thoughts Derek........thanks!
Old 10-10-2015, 09:44 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Father-in-law is doing better today after the surgery, so I was able to catch up on yard work and even get a little more done to the car.

I spent several hours (and a couple Aleve) sanding and feathering the edges of the donor tail light clip. I see that I will need to repair a few holes and bond a couple broken-off pieces before I bond it to the car.....may as well do the repairs while the piece is easy to manipulate!

Here are a few pics/not very clear of the work done this afternoon until dark.....mostly sanding and feathering edges that will be bonded later...................

Driver-side of clip.............................

Passenger-side clip/a broken piece needs to be patched-in.........

The top edge and underneath side are cleaned/the top edge is feather about 1&1/2"...............

The underside is not feathered, but is cleaned for the bonding strip.......................

The top of the clip has all the old paint removed.................

Tomorrow I'll try to remove all the paint in and around the taillight openings and on the lower filler panel.

Last edited by doorgunner; 10-12-2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:36 AM
derekderek
Race Director

stripper would be the way to go there. sanding is impossible. i been sidetracked by life the last couple days. going back to pulling nose piece tonight or monday. i should have 1 version at least in a box and on it's way by the end of the week. How did you make out with the layer under the deck?
Old 10-11-2015, 05:51 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Father-in-law is doing better today after the surgery, so I was able to catch up on yard work and even get a little more done to the car.

I spent several hours (and a couple Aleve) sanding and feathering the edges of the donor tail light clip. I see that I will need to repair a few holes and bond a couple broken-off pieces before I bond it to the car.....may as well do the repairs while the piece is easy to manipulate!

Here are a few pics/not very clear of the work done this afternoon until dark.....mostly sanding and feathering edges that will be bonded later...................

Driver-side of clip.............................

Passenger-side clip/a broken piece needs to be patched-in.........

The top edge and underneath side are cleaned/the top edge is feather about 1&1/2"...............

The underside is not feathered, but is cleaned for the bonding strip.......................

The top of the clip has all the old paint removed.................

Tomorrow I'll try to remove all the paint in and around the taillight openings and on the lower filler panel.
Tony, don't forget your hand held media blaster. Perfect for the running light areas and other small areas. Dub had reminded me of that for my car.
ZIO
Old 10-11-2015, 10:57 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

stripper would be the way to go there. sanding is impossible. i been sidetracked by life the last couple days. going back to pulling nose piece tonight or monday. i should have 1 version at least in a box and on it's way by the end of the week. How did you make out with the layer under the deck?
Hey......I know the feeling.....I've been back/forth to the hospital. Pics are below.

Originally Posted by rvzio
Tony, don't forget your hand held media blaster. Perfect for the running light areas and other small areas. Dub had reminded me of that for my car.
ZIO
Will do.......here are the latest pics...................

When gun A cut off.......I grabbed gun B.....Ya' think they piled on enough "stuff"/by the time I scrape the underside of the deck, I will be able to fill a shoebox with all the scrapings....LOL.....

I finally picked up the adhesive today/will get the filler after the parts are bonded and cured........

Last edited by doorgunner; 10-11-2015 at 11:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Doorgunner's '68 Convertible Project

Old 10-12-2015, 06:07 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Hey......I know the feeling.....I've been back/forth to the hospital. Pics are below.

Will do.......here are the latest pics...................

When gun A cut off.......I grabbed gun B.....Ya' think they piled on enough "stuff"/by the time I scrape the underside of the deck, I will be able to fill a shoebox with all the scrapings....LOL.....

I finally picked up the adhesive today/will get the filler after the parts are bonded and cured........

Another Dub tip that I learned quickly. The VPA will START to cure fairly pretty fast. After a few minutes is the time to sand, shape or blend. You can tell by how much sticks to the sandpaper. When this stuff cures it is like a rock and you will be sanding for a long hard time. Catch it right, get it the way you want and man the stuff is STRONG! Stir it up good also. The hole on the side can use 2 layers of laminate if you still see it after the rear clip install.
Good Luck, oh yeah try it out first on something.
ZIO
Old 10-12-2015, 08:08 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Will do.

I have about 2 more hours of removing "goop"......then I will "grind" the underside/inside of the panels flat/correct thickness for the bonding strips.
Then I will do the patching on damaged areas and give it 24 hours to make sure that it all sticks and is strong before I bond the donor tail light clip to the rear deck.

This should be verrrrrrrrrrrrry interesting!

Last edited by doorgunner; 10-12-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:19 AM
Jack605
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 118 Posts

Doorgunner, do you scrape and paint the frame in this area since you have easy access? I don't want to add to your list but..............

Jack

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Doorgunner's '68 Convertible Project