C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leak Checks

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Jetts4u2
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always had small leaks on my passenger side, windshield to glass top leaks at the seam. Drove it yesterday, small amount of water on the floor board, sopped it up. Still raining today, got in and had 1.5" of water in my rubbermade floor mat. Vac'd it up. Drove the car about a mile and it just shut off. Started back up, died again, limped it out of the road. Restarted it and got it home dying a few times. Got to the house, relays clicking under the dash, hatch popped, headlights turned themselves on, car going crazy, service engine soon message on display. Disco'd the battery and took other car. Came home, checked the forum and found this thread. Cleaned out the drivers drains, they were full. Pulled battery and disco'd the drain and 1/2 gallon of water came out! It was dead clogged. It's still raining, so haven't had the courage to hook the battery back up, may stick my leaf blower in the car and let it blow up under the dash for an hour or so to dry things up. Scary that my BCM and electronics got wet.
Anyway, Thanks for the thread, really helped me out!!
Old 07-26-2011, 01:06 PM
BoostedBeast
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eldoradocanyon
I'm not certain if my problem was addressed in this thread. After washing or exposure to rain, while driving my left foot gets dripped on--not a whole lot of water, but I really hate wet socks, and having water, however minimal, coming into the cabin over the clutch pedal isn't good.
eldoradocanyon, or anyone else - have you resolved this issue? I'm dealing with the same thing on my 2002 targa coupe right now. It's definitely more than a drip though, my clutch foot gets pretty wet if i wash the car at the coin-op car wash.

yesterday i got caught in a hard downpour with it, and it was the worst i've seen it, water was coming in pretty good on my left foot. light to moderate rain, or washing the car at home with a garden hose doesn't seem to be a problem, it seems like it's definitely triggered by higher pressure or a high volume of water somewhere in the driver's side cowl area i'm guessing
Old 07-30-2011, 04:34 PM
jimuny
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air box drain, A/C condensate build up

Bill,
In my world its always the smallest and most difficult to deal with. After vacuuming out about a half gallon of water on the passenger side (I only had the AC on for 2 hours) I cleaned the udders....nothing there....then pulled the air box drain fitting and I think a quart of water came out. Then try to put the damn thing back on!! That took another hour and a coat hanger jig to keep the harness pulled back. Success and thanks. Jim
Old 07-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by BoostedBeast
eldoradocanyon, or anyone else - have you resolved this issue? I'm dealing with the same thing on my 2002 targa coupe right now. It's definitely more than a drip though, my clutch foot gets pretty wet if i wash the car at the coin-op car wash.

yesterday i got caught in a hard downpour with it, and it was the worst i've seen it, water was coming in pretty good on my left foot. light to moderate rain, or washing the car at home with a garden hose doesn't seem to be a problem, it seems like it's definitely triggered by higher pressure or a high volume of water somewhere in the driver's side cowl area i'm guessing
Are you POSITIVE that the drivers side drain UDDERS are free and clear to drain?????? That well will hold a gallon of water abd when it gets that full it leaks in and can also dround your wiper motor/module!!

It leaks in at the wiring harness for the wiper motor where it enters the drivers fire wall:

You can reach in thru here and get to them They jut pop out of the well:

Heres what comes out!!!!!

BC
Old 08-21-2011, 12:57 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Default I Joined the Ranks of the Leakers

As I was removing my mats to clean them this past weekend I noticed that the passenger side carpet was damp. Panic struck

Oh no, the dreaded "clogged HVAC Udder Drain", or so I thought.
With that I decided to clean ALL of the udders.
Can you believe I only had a couple of leaves in 2 of the 3 udders under the wiper motor ? The rest were spotless.

Forgetting where the HVAC drain was I consulted this fine thread and thanks to Mr Bill, I was able to locate it. Removing it was another matter in it's self. For the life of me I couldn't get it to budge so I decided I'll tackle it another day. What made me decide that was I haven't really ran the A/C that much this summer BUT, we had more then enough rain so I focused my search for leaks around the most common area's as stated here in the thread.

After removing the seat and carpet I started looking for tell tale signs of water. I noticed some water/dust tracking in this area . The "tracks" are circled in Yellow

Again, thanks to this thread I linked to the Corvette Action Center Service Bulletins .
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...aterleak+Guide

CHECK OUT "Condition # 3"

So as per the instructions I removed one bolt at a time, pumped some Permetex Black Silicone into the hole and replaced the bolt.
I also rean a bead of silicone under the plate and up both sides of it.

The only thing that has me a little perplexed is...........The drip tracking I saw ran down the frame but, the floor pan has a lip and it's not right up against the frame rail . I did have a small amount of water around the base of the wire retainer. So, if there is a lip on the floor pan, how did the water get over it

In the pic above you can also see the "Damn" I built up with silicone as Bill suggested.

So for now, with at least 3 more days of heavy rain and thunder showers predicted here in the NY / NJ area, I'll leave the carpeting out and observe for any more signs of leakage.

I'll report back on any findings.

Last edited by SG Lou; 08-30-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:19 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SG Lou
As I was removing my mats to clean them this past weekend I noticed that the passenger side carpet was damp. Panic struck

for now, with at least 3 more days of heavy rain and thunder showers predicted here in the NY / NJ area, I'll leave the carpeting out and observe for any more signs of leakage.

I'll report back on any findings.
Had heavy rain for the last 3 days and no noticeable signs of water.

Hurricane / Tropical Storm Irene is suppose to headed our way this weekend with heavy rain. I'll leave the car out and see if there is any water intrusion.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:51 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Default And the search continues !

Had heavy rain for the last 3 days and no noticeable signs of water.

Hurricane / Tropical Storm Irene is suppose to headed our way this weekend with heavy rain. I'll leave the car out and see if there is any water intrusion.
Spent the entire weekend at work because of the Tropical Storm so when I got home Monday morning and opened the car up this is what I found on the passenger side.

Yes boys and girls, that's a puddle of water

So it looks as though what I thought I may had fixed in my previous post isn't the answer.

It may be leaking in some where under the cowl on the passenger side? I dunno.
I didn't see any water tracking or drips anywhere so I'm stumped
I don't have an extra set of hands around to saturate the passenger side of the front while I'm inside searching for drips so I have to wait until someone is around to give me a hand

Last edited by SG Lou; 08-30-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:11 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Default Leak found and repaired !

Spent good part of the day searching for this damn leak and I got it

I'm awaiting on an Insulation kit I ordered from Crazy Cowboy aka Dan so before the search for the leak I decided to gut the entire interior minus the door panels. I pulled the most of the dash apart too.

With all of that done the search began !

First thing I did was remove the wiper area cowl and had the Mrs pour a bucket of water down the passenger side of the windsheild while i was inside with a flashlight. I noticed water dripping from inbetween a glued area under the far left side of the dash.

Yellow line points to panel joint that's glued and from where the water was dripping.
The yellow outlined area is an insulated shield that I had to remove to access the glue joint better

So now I'm thinking I got water coming in some where inbetween the panel under the cowl on the passenger side so I went to my local Auto Parts Store and got a box of 3M Black Strip Caulk

And ran a strip of it along the joints and rivit heads.

Then I did another water test and found that the leak was about 90% fixed but I still had a drop or two showing inbetween the factory glue lines.

So i took more of that Strip Caulk and packed it into the glue joint, around the glue joint and anywhere else I thought it can do some good.
I also removed the 2 smaller bolts, rolled up some of that caulk, stuffed it into the bolt holes and reinstalled the bolts.

I then did another water test with a full bucket of water.

LEAK HAS STOPPED

I'll wait another day or two....pour some more water on it, check it and so on but I think I may have gotten it for good !

Last edited by SG Lou; 08-30-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:21 PM
breaktyme
Advanced

Bill,thanx for all your useful imformation,and your help you gave me at the Corvettes at Carlisle.Thanx Again Steve
Old 09-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by breaktyme
Bill,thanx for all your useful imformation,and your help you gave me at the Corvettes at Carlisle.Thanx Again Steve
Steve

Anytime my friend!! Im estatic that we were able to play with your car and make it BETTER! Cheryl and I had a great time even though it was very short!

Bill
Old 09-06-2011, 06:41 PM
azzhauler
Advanced

I need to pull my carpet out to dry and go leak searching, but I was wondering if the carpet is split in the middle somewhere or is it one large piece that crosses over the tunnel?
Old 09-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Your carpet is in THREE piecses. The drivers foot well, passengers foot well and rear deck. Just remove the seat and the plastic door sill covers:

While the carpet is out,, you should install some Frost King Head duct insulation and refletex foil bubble wrap.

BC
Old 09-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Well actually its FOUR parts. The rear wall behind the seats has its own carpet part.

BC
Old 09-07-2011, 11:02 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Your carpet is in THREE piecses. The drivers foot well, passengers foot well and rear deck. Just remove the seat and the plastic door sill covers:

While the carpet is out,, you should install some Frost King Head duct insulation and refletex foil bubble wrap.

BC
Thanks EXACTLY what I did !

Side Note: Rain from TS Lee has been drowning us the last 2 days here in NJ. During a brief break in the action ( Pouring rain ) I checked my passenger side carpet. So far so good....dry as a bone !

Last edited by SG Lou; 09-07-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:20 AM
RBS-C5
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Where to get

Thanks EXACTLY what I did !
I looked at the Frost King website and they had LOTS of different products. I could not find any Reflextex product at either Lowes or Home Depot websites, then discovered that it is Reflextix rather than Reflextex.

Is this the Frost King product you used?

And which of these Reflextix products is the one you used?

And please explain how the Frost King and Reflextix are used together. It looks like the Frost King has an adhesive backing. Does the Reflextix have an adhesive backing as well? Do you stick one down and then the other on top of it?
Old 09-07-2011, 11:33 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RBS-C5
I looked at the Frost King website and they had LOTS of different products. I could not find any Reflextex product at either Lowes or Home Depot websites, then discovered that it is Reflextix rather than Reflextex.

Is this the Frost King product you used?

And which of these Reflextix products is the one you used?

And please explain how the Frost King and Reflextix are used together. It looks like the Frost King has an adhesive backing. Does the Reflextix have an adhesive backing as well? Do you stick one down and then the other on top of it?
Yes, the Frost King stuff I used is the self adhesive 1/8" foam with the aluminum facing. I used that through out the car along with aluminum foil tape to seal all of the joints. Bill will have to chime in on which Reflectix product he used. I do know that the Reflectix is NOT self adhesive and you'd have to tape it into place.
From what I have read on other threads is guys will first cover the entire interior with the Frost King insulation and then for added insurance the will use the Reflectix on the top and sides of the Torque Tube Tunnel as that gets and generates the most heat.

Last edited by SG Lou; 09-07-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:04 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I tore out all the interior since every time it rained my trunk would fill up with about 1 gallon of water. I hit it with the hose and saw, if my vette was a boat, it would sink in minutes.

I have a leak on both front doors at the wind sheild.
Leaking A pilar on the passenger side up high.
A little pool of water forming on the passenger side floor, back at the wall, behind the seat. No trial of where it is comming from. Looks like it comes down behind a seam.

I picked up a tube of black silicone, and used about all of it on the door weather seals. Now I think I will need 4 more.

20 second of water on the roof/trunk area resulted in leaking from where the the center plastic interior piece is clipped in. about 40 seconds, the whole bar was leaking.

How do I fill this thing up with goop? I was thinking expandable foam would get everywhere. I guess it would be a gamble if it would actually cause me more headaches later. Any ideas?

Get notified of new replies

To Leak Checks

Old 09-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Bill

I'm having a hard time seeing exactly where it's leaking from from your picture.

Check this out. Open the trunk and examine the area where the water drains around the the trunk opening. In each corner of the trough, there is a water drain. If one of those drains is clogged, and the car sits at just the wrong angle, it can migrate in under the trunk seal and leak in the car.

Use a garden hose and carefully run water into that trough area and make sure that each drain is free flowing. The drains that run forward actually drain to the door opening and clog easily.

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 09-12-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The ZO6 top is glued to the body at the back below the window. There have been times when that seal is broken or just plain unsat from the factory.

If the drains are not the issue,, the seal may need to be fixed. Yes, you can force a sealer into the crack and try to fix it. Try from the inside first. If that doesnt work, tape off the painted body with painters tape and force some black silicone RTV into the void.

BC
Old 09-12-2011, 08:19 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

When I get home I will try to pour a cup of water on the area you have pictured.

went out and looked at my car just now, It looks like that gap there will lead right into the moulded bar thing that runs under the rear window that is painted body color (or at least it looks like it is on my silver car).

Quick Reply: Leak Checks