C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Force Awakens...

Old 09-20-2018, 04:24 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 260 Posts

Neat !!!

Old 09-20-2018, 07:14 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the tip on the location. This seems a great spot. I am glad I did not put it in the cabin. It is noisy. If I pay attention, I can even hear it when I am driving.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:17 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Very nice... sadly, I did not get pics of swapping in the new coil. These wires are definitely beefy...

Old 09-20-2018, 08:49 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The Global West bushing are awesome and being able to be re-greased and their design I have installed them in several Corvettes and are worth the money.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
DorianC3 (09-20-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 03:37 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

And of course, nothing in life is easy. I have yet to disclose the "rest of the story".

The engine fired up immediately after the upgrade and was surprisingly smooth and stable.

Then I thought I heard a slight pop and burble...

I soon found that the nylon oil pressure gauge sender line failed. Presumably I bumped it at some point... possibly when reinstalling the intake manifold, or popping the old one off.

It pretty much dumped all the oil out within a very short period of time.

Glad I caught it. Happier still that I had in my parts bin replacement fittings.

Another item for my to do list: replace the entire oil sender line.

BTW, it is VERY frustrating to be backing out for a test drive with the upgrades dialed in... and this happens. #annoying

Last edited by DorianC3; 09-21-2018 at 03:38 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:53 PM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Much better. Much more comfortable. Amazing what a few bucks can do. Slightly perished

Old 09-22-2018, 12:05 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

#satisfying
Old 09-27-2018, 10:18 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

The Corvette performed extremely well on the 250 mile "race". It handled quite well (considering the front suspension bushings are shot and very dry rotted). It rained a LOT and after a while, it finally started leaking into the car. Engine performance was fine. It felt a bit rich tho'. I'll check the plugs and, I expect, I'll jet down.

Taken the morning of the race... already very wet.

Some wet competitors. It was a small event and several cars cancelled out due to the bad weather.

My wife fell in love with this car... a Boxster. It might well be our next classic.

We also ran into another race...

Old 09-27-2018, 10:23 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 839 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by DorianC3
The Corvette performed extremely well on the 250 mile "race". It handled quite well (considering the front suspension bushings are shot and very dry rotted). It rained a LOT and after a while, it finally started leaking into the car. Engine performance was fine. It felt a bit rich tho'. I'll check the plugs and, I expect, I'll jet down.

Taken the morning of the race... already very wet.

Some wet competitors. It was a small event and several cars cancelled out due to the bad weather.

My wife fell in love with this car... a Boxster. It might well be our next classic.

We also ran into another race...
Cars look great ! Great day for a race too !
Old 09-27-2018, 10:33 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Not that beer and cars go so well together; but this is Belgium after all

Old 09-27-2018, 10:37 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

And finally...

This is an old Chapel, with a tree growing out of it. The statue is still in there...

And yes, that is a moat.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:41 AM
wzschirnt
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi, that is a really pretty car and, as you have found out, not many in Europe!

The harmonic balancer - there are 2 diameters back in the 70's for the 350 engine, 6 3/4 and 8 inch. They both do the job just fine and timing pointers for either size are readily available from Summit. etc. If you have a stock timing cover, the pointer is probably tack-welded on, so you will have to remove it, but the new pointer bolts on using the timing cover bolts. The vibration can have any number of things causing it (didn't you mention that you had a pulley that 'wobbled'?), but as long as the balancer is in good shape and is not one for a later 400 motor (externally balanced), it shouldn't be causing any vibration.

Good luck with your Vette!!

walt z.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:34 PM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Thanks Walt.

Its not a 400, for sure. I used to have one in another car. The damper looks in reasonable shape. I’ll get a closer look tomorrow.

I put the car up on jacks to examine the underside. It looks in reasonable shape. I was searching for potential sources of vibration.

Hmmm. Do you think these motor mounts have seen better days and could be a source ?

Also, I see the trans tunnel insulation is hanging in places and touching an exhaust pipe and probably also touch the joint of the driveshaft. What is best way to get that out of the way ?

Old 09-29-2018, 11:31 AM
wzschirnt
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks Walt.

Its not a 400, for sure. I used to have one in another car. The damper looks in reasonable shape. I’ll get a closer look tomorrow.

I put the car up on jacks to examine the underside. It looks in reasonable shape. I was searching for potential sources of vibration.

Hmmm. Do you think these motor mounts have seen better days and could be a source ?

Also, I see the trans tunnel insulation is hanging in places and touching an exhaust pipe and probably also touch the joint of the driveshaft. What is best way to get that out of the way ?

Those mounts are pretty much gone. They would allow the motor to move up and down some as you accelerate and decelerate. If they are actually broken (rubber separated from metal part of the mount), that may allow the motor to move enough to touch the hood or fan shroud and you would feel that, Replacing them can't hurt! As for the insulation, the factory put some tabs to help keep it in it's place. Do what you need to do to get it away from the heat/moving pieces - tabs, screws, cut off some of it. It keeps the transmission tunnel a little cooler, but the Corvette is a hot car anyway, so missing a little insulation won't be noticed.

Good luck.
walt z.
DorianC3 (06-11-2019)
Old 10-03-2018, 04:09 PM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Some more detail on the suspension. Dampers seem to be some (old?) NAPA Sensa Tracs

Old 10-04-2018, 07:29 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Some more detail on the suspension. Dampers seem to be some (old?) NAPA Sensa Tracs

Say... looking at the perished rubber at the top of the shock mount. Is that a good indication that these are old shock absorbers? Would they need to be replaced? And are they (NAPA/Monroe Sensa Trac) junk quality? The corvette's ride is very "spongy". My plan is to replace all the control arm bushings with polyurethane or del-a-lum and add a fast, new steering box (Borgeson). A set of HD front and rear anti-sway bars can wait. Do these shocks play a significant role in the sponginess, or, are they reasonable and I should not worry about them just now.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:59 AM
DUB
Race Director

Seeing bad rubber on a shock absorber mount is not always an indication that the shock is bad. Usually I will remove the shock and check it. If the shock is blown out and not providing ANY dampening....then the front end will bounce due to the coil springs have no dampening mechanism so calm that effect down when you ride over a bump.

Shock absorbers are made differently and can offer different rates of dampening thus you can buy a set that can make the car ride rough and stiff while others shocks provide a much less dampening rate and the ride can be smoother. Those Monroe shocks are decent shock and may work for you but some people want to use KYB's and Bilsteins

I can say that I have installed the Global West Del-alum bushings in many Corvettes and they are really impressive. They do require a bit more work to get in but it is well worth it in my opinion. Some welding is required. A person cannot compare a rubber bushing to these Del-a-lum bushing in what they can provide to tightening up the suspension. . A lot of it has to deal with what the customer is going to use the car for and how responsive they want the car to feel.

DUB
DorianC3 (10-04-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To The Force Awakens...

Old 10-04-2018, 10:18 AM
DUB
Race Director

This Corvette has Global West Del-a-lum bushings in it. In case you want to see how they look.

DUB
DorianC3 (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 02:55 PM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DUB
Seeing bad rubber on a shock absorber mount is not always an indication that the shock is bad. Usually I will remove the shock and check it. If the shock is blown out and not providing ANY dampening....then the front end will bounce due to the coil springs have no dampening mechanism so calm that effect down when you ride over a bump.

Shock absorbers are made differently and can offer different rates of dampening thus you can buy a set that can make the car ride rough and stiff while others shocks provide a much less dampening rate and the ride can be smoother. Those Monroe shocks are decent shock and may work for you but some people want to use KYB's and Bilsteins

I can say that I have installed the Global West Del-alum bushings in many Corvettes and they are really impressive. They do require a bit more work to get in but it is well worth it in my opinion. Some welding is required. A person cannot compare a rubber bushing to these Del-a-lum bushing in what they can provide to tightening up the suspension. . A lot of it has to deal with what the customer is going to use the car for and how responsive they want the car to feel.

DUB
Thank you Sir. Agreed, I am ^retty much set on Del-a-lum. This is a corvette after all. Even old, it should be given what one can to perform above average.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:06 PM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Soooo, as the car performed relatively well on the "rally", I decided it is time to taken down for the season. Things that need to be addressed require pulling the engine, such as: replacing the motor mounts (ok, ok you don't have to pull the engine for that), check the clutch (here you do), tidy up the wiring, clean and detail the engine bay, rebuild the suspension with del-a-lum.

I plan to yank the engine on October 26th with a buddy.

Other things that need attention: wiring behind the dash, dash lights, interior panel gaps while I am at it, ignition key cylinder, and emergency brake which barely does anything.

So let's begin...

I started by checking out the rear suspension.

The results of that exploration can be found here and here.

​​​​​​​

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Force Awakens...